look before eating

Balwinder Singh

For vegitarians out there:

I just noticed that the salad dressings have egg in umm and also:

- flavoured yogurt has gelatine(meat) in it(::edited:: thnx to Mkhalsa ji).

- Soybean petties have egg in umm(sometimes)

- Almost all cookies( or biscuits for indians like me) and cakes have eggs

- Certain icecreams also have eggs in them.

I was quite amazed to see too much use of eggs in all these things.Please include other items u think should be taken care of.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

singh, pectin is from plants, its counterpart is gelatin which is from animal bones.

pectin is 100% OK.

It is interesting. You are just at the basics. As I have kept more food bibek, I have discovered that most store products have some kind of meat.

The main stuff to watch out for is Eggs and lard of course, but these are also under other names:

Lecithin is many times eggs. Sometimes it says soy lecithin, that is ok becuase its made from soy, but normal lecithin is usually from eggs.

Mono and diglycerides aka monoglycerides or diglycerides. This is many times another name for LARD. Guess what? this is in everything from ice cream to bread, to peanut butter, crackers, cereals, beans. EVERYTHING. You have to call the company to find out if its from a vegetable source or not. I know that Jiffy Peanut butter is ok. Bravekhalsa has called many companies about this so perhaps he can post which ones are ok. But mono and diglycerides are lard and its something to watch out for. Some things it is vegetable fat so its ok, but its better safe than sorry.

gelatin is one that most punjabis dont know about for some reason. its ground up bones and cartilidge (nails, noses, ears) of pigs and cows. Its gross and its in marshmellows, candies, some yogurts, jello of course, sour cream.

Find another brand that uses pectin which is the vegetarian alternative.

Veer ji, u have too many things out there to eat. Eat fruits, 'kachiyan' vegitables and cook for urself (well I am lucky as my roomie is real good cook).You can make healthy sandwiches.You can make hell lotta things out of vegitables.

So there is no dearth.....look at the positive side.

I know u know all this but still I wrote blush.gif