Reincarnation In Sikhi And Eternity

Only five

Many people have taken this shabad of Bhagat Trilochan ji Maharaj out of it's context and have intrepreted it in their own way. Mostly is due to the fact they rely on the english translation to intrepret the shabad and some who have taken the english translation don't understand the english translation itself. Also some have preconcieved ideas about SIkhi, which are not Gurmat and try to make sense of their understanding by misintrepreting this Shabad.

Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Maharaj as done the correct intrepretation of this Shabad, by taking the historical facts behind the Shabad and did not step outside of Gurmat to intrepret this Shabad or use his own preconcieved ideas about Sikhi.

The Shabad is on ang 526 of Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj.

Here is the link to the Katha that Sant ji did:

audios / Katha / Puratan Katha / Sant Gurbachan Singh (Bhindran wale) / Guru Granth Sahib Larivaar Katha /

Raag Goojri (Bhagat Bani)--Ang-525+526

Forward to 15 minutes to get to the Katha of this Shabad.

gUjrI ] (526-5)

goojree.

Goojaree:

AMiq kwil jo lCmI ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ] (526-5, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

ant kaal jo lachhmee simrai aisee chintaa meh jay marai.

At the very last moment, one who thinks of wealth, and dies in such thoughts,

srp join vil vil AauqrY ]1] (526-6, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

sarap jon val val a-utarai. ||1||

shall be reincarnated over and over again, in the form of serpents. ||1||

ArI bweI goibd nwmu miq bIsrY ] rhwau ] (526-6, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

aree baa-ee gobid naam mat beesrai. rahaa-o.

O sister, do not forget the Name of the Lord of the Universe. ||Pause||

AMiq kwil jo iesqRI ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ] (526-7, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

ant kaal jo istaree simrai aisee chintaa meh jay marai.

At the very last moment, he who thinks of women, and dies in such thoughts,

bysvw join vil vil AauqrY ]2] (526-7, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

baysvaa jon val val a-utarai. ||2||

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a prostitute. ||2||

AMiq kwil jo liVky ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ] (526-8, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

ant kaal jo larhikay simrai aisee chintaa meh jay marai.

At the very last moment, one who thinks of his children, and dies in such thoughts,

sUkr join vil vil AauqrY ]3] (526-8, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

sookar jon val val a-utarai. ||3||

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a pig. ||3||

AMiq kwil jo mMdr ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ] (526-9, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

ant kaal jo mandar simrai aisee chintaa meh jay marai.

At the very last moment, one who thinks of mansions, and dies in such thoughts,

pRyq join vil vil AauqrY ]4] (526-9, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

parayt jon val val a-utarai. ||4||

shall be reincarnated over and over again as a goblin. ||4||

AMiq kwil nwrwiexu ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ] (526-10, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

ant kaal naaraa-in simrai aisee chintaa meh jay marai.

At the very last moment, one who thinks of the Lord, and dies in such thoughts,

bdiq iqlocnu qy nr mukqw pIqMbru vw ky irdY bsY ]5]2] (526-10, gUjrI, Bgq iqRlocn jI)

badat tilochan tay nar muktaa peetambar vaa kay ridai basai. ||5||2||

says Trilochan, that man shall be liberated; the Lord shall abide in his heart. ||5||2||

What do people say about this particular shabad and why is it misunderstood?

I get the impression you'd like to expand on your original premise but you feel reluctant to do so - or is the katha the only explanation that is needed? I apologise I'm just not understanding why the above shabad would create controversy. It seems pretty straight-forward.

I've downloaded the katha by Baba Gurbhachan Singh Khalsa and will listen to it later on today.

What do people say about this particular shabad and why is it misunderstood?

I get the impression you'd like to expand on your original premise but you feel reluctant to do so - or is the katha the only explanation that is needed? I apologise I'm just not understanding why the above shabad would create controversy. It seems pretty straight-forward.

I've downloaded the katha by Baba Gurbhachan Singh Khalsa and will listen to it later on today.

Sant ji speaks about other intrepretation and shows how it is a misintrepretation. The point of this thread is to let go of any self-made understandings of Sikhi and reincarnation by listening to Sant ji. Many Sikhs are running from one corner to a different and are completely confused on what the Shabad is telling them. Just like we go to doctors to get medical advice. In a similar way, Sikhs need to understand Guru Sahib has taught us, to go to Saints for spiritual advice and clarifications of Shabads. Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj did the Katha of Gurbani for Singhs and Bhai Mani Singh ji and Baba Deep Singh ji carried on this seva as Gurmukhs. This post was started to bring humility into Sikhs mind.

Go to a medical doctor for health concerns, go to a car mechanic for car related issues, and go to a Saint (Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji Maharaj) for Gurbani intrepretations and spiritual advice.

Bhagat Ji with this Shabad has given us a clear indication, who we should remember always in and/or with our heart, mind, and tongue. Gurbani has told us many times to remember Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj all day and night. Bhagat Ji is telling us with this Shabad to let go of our emotional attachments, to wealth, woman, son (children), and mansions (property acquired over the years). The words Ant Kaal are used to describe in the last moment, but to understand what Ant Kaal means here , we have too look at the rahaao line. the rahaao ling is telling us not to forget Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj for a split second because we do not know when death will crush us and take us screaming. Bhagat Ji is telling us every moment in life can be our last (is Ant Kaal), so remember Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj in every moment.

But if we waste our lives on rememberring (remembering here means to be emotional attached) other things in life, then we would be put back into the cycle of birth and death. Bhagat Ji further clears up what a person would be reincarnated as. A person who has been emotionally attached to wealth will be reincarnated as a serpent, etc. Many like to intrepret it as once, but the correct intrepretation is over and over again, the soul of the person will be reincarnated as a serpent. We are attached to such things Bhagat Ji describes, but everyone is more attached to one and in their (ant Kaal) last moment the person holds it in rememberance and dies without the pyare (love) of Maharaj.

Others have missed the mark of understanding this shabad by jumping to the last line and stating a person can do whatever they want in life, but all they need to do is remember Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj in their last moment and they meet Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj. They refer to such acts as not perfect justice. Such thinking arises because the person, did not take the time to understand what Ant Kaal meant here and took the words out of context. Also Sri Vaheguru Ji Maharaj can liberated anyone in a split second, who remembered Maharaj in their last moment. Such are the powers of the all powerful and perfect Lord. Let's not bring Maharaj down to human flawed thinking and stick to Gurbani.

Next they add things, which Bhagat Ji did not state or even imply. One is that Bhagat Ji is using the Hindu system of reincarnation and add irrelevant statements that we would have too look for our ancestors in creatures and humans. Bhagat Ji in the literal meaning of the Shabad did not even state such nonsense that are being added to the Shabad by others. Then the most scariest part is that they conclude on the basis, not a likely or attractive one, the Shabad is speaking metaphorically.

Obviously it is not likely sense they did not even use the rahaao line, neither did they use the correct Sikh reincarnation system (instead used Hindu) and went on what was attractive to them. There was no form of objective analysis, done, especially by calling the Hindu reincarnation system not attractive. Again the Hindu reincarnation system has nothing to do with the Shabad, but they bring it up. If all objective conclusions were drawn on how attractive something is. Then actors and actresses would be Prime Ministers and Presidents today.

Brothers that can't understand the shabad as Bhagat Ji wrote it. Please do the correct thing and listen to the Saints that have the knowledge to intrepret the shabad. When someone needs medical advice, i am sure they would consult these brothers. But these brothers need to stay in their field of expertise and not jump ship to where they have no understanding of the topic.

Does anyone know of a source which clearly defines the main features of the Sikhi philosophy of reincarnation, as well as the differences between the Sikhi and Vedic systems?

Don't know if talking about karam would amount to the same thing as reincarnation but to get a broader perspective on karam I'd recommend listening to Atam Gian Katha by Giani Thakur Singh Jee:

audios / Katha / Present Day Katha / Giani Thakur Singh (Patiala wale) / > Atam Gian

Or alternatively you could try Aatam Veechar Katha by Sant Hari Singh Jee Randhwa wale which is on the same site as above:

audios / Katha / Present Day Katha / Baba Hari Singh (Randhawe wale) / > Aatam Veechar.

As far as I can remember, was a long time since I listened to Giani Jee's katha, it centres around a time when Sikh Sangata humbly asked Dhan Dhan Dhan Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaaj to explain how karams work. SatGuru Jee then gave this Seva to Pyaray Dhaya Singh Jee Maharaaj.