Italy Sikhs

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know the exact number but....judging from the Italian influence in rural doaba these days I would say it won't be that long before they overtake the UK to be the main centre of Sikhs in Europe. The last 3 or 4 times I've visited our pend back home there's been at least one white Italian wife on holiday there in the village staying with her husband's family.

I think West London Singh is correct, Sikhi is growing at a rapid pace in Italy. There are some Gurdwara's, such as the Singh Sabha in Flero which has a regular sangat of 10,000 and can have over 25,000 sangat on a major festival. I have seen this myself. Also, whilst there are probably arroud 80-100,000 officially registered, there are perhaps a similar number that are not. My estimate is that there are about 150,000 Sikhs and many are quite young, so you can expect a high birth rate. So, my prediction is that within the next 20 years, this figure may well double and Italy will certainly rival Canada, UK and UK as major centres of Sikh migration.

I have been told there are 25 Gurdwaras in Italy. Can anyone confirm or is this about right?

I am told there is about 80,000 Sikhs in Italy.

If you can clarify or confirm your help would be much appreciated.

Does that really matter how many number of gurdwaras are in Italy when there are so many Sikh issues that have not been resolved in this country. I hate visiting Italy but for some reason I end up here every 2-3 months for work. Everytime I fly through Italian airport I have to take off my turban and put it in a tray so that they can scan it. The same trays which are used by other passengers to put shoes in there. One time I was so <Edited> off that I even opened up my turban to show him that it was just a piece of cloth and there is no way I can hide something in there. But he even scanned my open turban and swiped it to check for the presence of explosives. Ridiculous!

Also, last time I went to eat at a restaurant, chef was a Sikh. He told me that as per Italian law he has to cut his beard. If he doesn't and the authorities come to check, they fine the restaurant.

Instead of opening new gurdwaras everywhere, why don't we as a community concentrate on resolving these issues that are of concern to the community.