Are You Fixing Your Appointments In Bikrami Or Nanakshahi Calendar?

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਿਹ

I had some vichar about the "Sikh Kalender" I am doing some researches about the Bikrami Calendar with the Lunisolar calendar and its history. And also about Nanakshahi Calendar with the Solar Tropical calendar.

For the Nanakshahi Calendar we use a similar calendar as the Christian are using it with greorgian calendar. However the positive thing is we celebrate the events on the same day each and each year. Before the Nanakshahi Calendar, Sikhs in foreign countries had problems because they didn't have any calendar where they can have look for the dates to celebrate it. However in these days we have Internet, where everybody can have a look when the Gurpurb or any other divas is, wether it is bikarmi or nanakshahi!

We have 3 dates in Nanakshahi calendar which are based on the Bikrami Calendar. Hola Mahla, Bandi Chor Divas and Guru Nanak Dev jis Parkash divas.

Why do they left them to sort out?

Is it because Guru Nanak dev ji was born on pooranmashi kartik Sambat 1526, but isn't it unfair we do something special to calculate the excect date according to the the lunar system for Guru Nanak Dev ji but not for the other Tenth Guru Sahibaan who followed? No sharda from the Sikh?

And Hola Mahla and Bandi Chor divas are celebrated with Holi and Diwali. Historicaly the Sikh and the Hindu events where celebrated on the same day. That’s why it can’t be seperated from each other, but how comes the other historical events can be seperated from the old system? Are they less important or weren’t they celebrated so much like the Hola Mahla or Bandi Chor divas?

I think according to the current Nanakshahi calender we will aways need the Bikrami calendar for the 3 events. So it means that every year sikhs need a new calendar with new dates. It isn’t a really benefit at all in my opinion. But the same problem exists also in Christian religion with easter.

I think nobody in India is using Nanakshahi calendar nor Bikrami calendar at all. The official calendar is the Christian/greorgian Calendar like we have in the west. I think only the Nepalese are using the Bikrami Calendar as official calendar.

Are you fixing your dates in Nanakshahi or Bikrami? Like my next exam is on 22 Poh, The birthday of my brother is on 24 vaisakh. Actually we are converting also Gurpurb in greorgian calendar. So we just use it to have a look when the gurpurbs are.

For me personally it doesn’t matter if it is in bikarmi if it changes yearly. But however we have problems with modern events like attack on Akal Takth etc.

The most printed Calendar in west like for example Taksal and AKJ calendar starts from January to December and not from chet to fagan. Only the Gurpurbs are added according Nanakshahi or Bikrami.

In my opinion we will always need two calendars. And even with Nanakshahi calendar it’s not done at all, because with Nanakshahi calendar we use 3 calendars. Nanakshahi, Bikrami and the Western Calendar.

Does anybody know anything new from SGPC about the Nanakshahi Calendar Issue?

If somebody is interested i copied all events from the UK Taksal Calendar of 2012 and put everything in the google Calendar

https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rtcpbsuaujifaog15oirv2jci4%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=Europe/Amsterdam

;)Nanakshah all de way ! Iz no christan calndr iz now world calndr cos most use dis 1 . We sikh liv all on world so world calndr btr :) dus it realy matter wo day it wz on we shud jus celebrat it ?

Are you restricted to 152 characters like a text message or something? Very difficult to make out your point.

I couldn't read it at all, but i guess i know what you mean. In fact yes it is a world calendar. It’s not called Christian Calender anymore it’s called Common Era Calender. It's

I think we have a lot of things like medicine or other things which came from christians. Also if we have a look at mathematic or chemicals, alot of muslims in the early centuries invented it.

However muslims use their own moon calendar. Which is also a very important part of their religion, to use it for prays or rituals like ramadhan. In Sikhi it is not important.

But if we have a look they are keeping their tradition with the calender, same as budhis, hindus, christian (they have a few others too), jews.

If we stop our traditions to have it easy, like for example use guns instead of sticks and swords because we have to learn gatka. And after all guns are more easier to use or to defend ppl. However that would be a wrong thinking. But sure we can't compare apples to oranges.

But same as for Gutka Sahib. My personaly expirience. I have a lot of gutke sahib from different different Jathas and Bania. However I am reading very less from Gutka rather than from mobile. Which is very very bad!!! Pothi marpershar ka thao...

What i wanted to say is which tradition we can replace and which we can't? I think the calender is a very big issue and we need a lot of sehje veechaar on that, because if we start replacing one tradition totally. I guess there are a few more which could follow

ਕਾਰਤਕ ਮਾਸ ਰੁਤਿ ਸਰਦ ਪੂਰਨਮਾਸੀ

ਆਠ ਜਾਮ ਸਾਠਿ ਘਰੀ ਆਜੁ ਤੇਰੀ ਬਾਰੀ ਹੈ

Bhai Gurdas ji about Guru Sahib jis Parkash divas, with day and time

ਦੁਆਦਸੀ ਦਾਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ॥

The twelfth day of the lunar cycle: Dedicate yourself to giving charity, chanting the Naam and purification. Guru Arjan Dev ji (Maharaj ji used the Moonmonth)

ਕਬੀਰ ਏਕ ਘੜੀ ਆਧੀ ਘਰੀ ਆਧੀ ਹੂੰ ਤੇ ਆਧ

Famouse shabad sung by variouse kirtani, Bhagat Kabir ji

ਚੇਤਿ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੇ ਅਰਾਧੀਐ ਹੋਵੈ ਅਨੰਦੇ ਘਣਾ

Guru Arjan Dev ji Maharaj in Bara Maha

ਸੰਬਤ ਸੱਤ੍ਰਹ ਸਹਸ ਭਣਿੱਜੈ ॥ ਅਰਧ ਸਹਸ ਫੁਨਿ ਤੀਨਿ ਕਹਿੱਜੈ ॥

ਭਾਦ੍ਰਵ ਸੁਦੀ ਅਸ਼ਟਮੀ ਰਵਿ ਵਾਰਾ ॥ ਤੀਰ ਸਤੁੱਦ੍ਰਵ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸੁਧਾਰਾ ॥੪੦੫॥

Say seventeen hundred, plus one half of a hundred and three (meaning 1753 Indian Calendar). This book was competed on the banks of Sutlej on Sunday, the eighth Sudi of the month of Bhadon.

Guru Gobind Singh ji

We can fix up dates and celebrate it. But which we should fix and which we should keep variable?

;)Nanakshah all de way ! Iz no christan calndr iz now world calndr cos most use dis 1 . We sikh liv all on world so world calndr btr :) dus it realy matter wo day it wz on we shud jus celebrat it ?

bro, forgive me, but please dont be a prat and type like you have. use english properly so we can understand what you are saying.

I think that Nanakshahi has messed up the panth concerning religious dates. It not like it has always been a problem, or that its something we cant overcome, and as the old saying goes, "if it's not broken, don't fix it..."

bro, forgive me, but please dont be a prat and type like you have. use english properly so we can understand what you are saying.

I think that Nanakshahi has messed up the panth concerning religious dates. It not like it has always been a problem, or that its something we cant overcome, and as the old saying goes, "if it's not broken, don't fix it..."

I will be using bikrami because I'm desi and not a confused coconut with lack of satkaar for traditions/reet/rawaz/parampara!

Would be interesting, do any of the puraatan sampradaiye follow nanakshahi calendar?

If we stop our traditions to have it easy, like for example use guns instead of sticks and swords because we have to learn gatka. And after all guns are more easier to use or to defend ppl. However that would be a wrong thinking. But sure we can't compare apples to oranges.

I don't understand this? In shastar vidiya guns can be easily integrated with the fighting, so are you saying that gatka is different?

The taksal from day 1 followed bikrami, in 2003 when purewal calender was introduced, government sgpc put pressure on some other jathebandia/sampardas that they should adopt purewal calender. At the time baba ji phoned heads of sampardas telling them that the old traditions were best. Whether some did change or not im not aware, but do remember this happening.

I will be using bikrami because I'm desi and not a confused coconut with lack of satkaar for traditions/reet/rawaz/parampara!

Would be interesting, do any of the puraatan sampradaiye follow nanakshahi calendar?

I don't understand this? In shastar vidiya guns can be easily integrated with the fighting, so are you saying that gatka is different?

I dunno any puratan samparda who are using Purewals calender.

I meant with that post, that ppl are arguing that it is not necessary to keep the kirpan, because in this age you have guns.

All shastars are part of gatka.

As far as i heard, the new nanakshahi calender will be back in bikrami format. There has been a 5 membery comittee who sort it out.

But if it will come at the end only god and he Jathedar knows.