How People Raise Gursikh Children In Foreign Country

scooter

I am really confused how people raise gursikh people in foreign country.

I mean how will they learn Punjbai language , our culture.

I mean in india we have been studying punjabi , hindi , history civics geography for 10 years continuously. How can we teach that in foreign country.

I was thinking of taking admission of child in Gurskih academy like Badu sahib. But i am not sure.

Please help me

I am really confused how people raise gursikh people in foreign country.

I mean how will they learn Punjbai language , our culture.

I mean in india we have been studying punjabi , hindi , history civics geography for 10 years continuously. How can we teach that in foreign country.

I was thinking of taking admission of child in Gurskih academy like Badu sahib. But i am not sure.

Please help me

every gneration born in the west slowly looses their culture and langauge....even the gursikhs will loose fluency in punjabi in one or two generations...for example the jews before the creation of israel did not know hebrew entirely..only the rabbis knew it..once israel was formed..most are either fluent or have a good grasp of the language....to keep the language amongst the sikh diaspora...we need to keep a connection with our punjabi parent community...even if that means sending your child their in young age for a few years....but even this is a problem for us as punjabi is becoming extinct in punjab....punjabi will be lost amongst vast majority of sikhs..it will become what hebrew used to be...a scholarly language used by a handful of sikh scholars... KHALISTAN IS THE ONLY SOLUTION...WHERE PUNJABI AND ENGLISH WILL BECOME THE STATE LANGUAGES...HINDI WILL HAVE NO OFFICIAL STATUS

Guest ssingh_klf

WJJK WJKF

hello and if you want to raise your child in an country like canada you have to be careful a lot of people i know went to religous schools and have cut their hair do drugs and stuff like that there is alot of pressure on kids here and i know alot of kids that are amritdhari and live a gursikh jeevan it all depends on how much time you take to teach your children about sikhi and how intersted they are

Guest cultural_dharm

I cannot say much for cultural traditions abroad. Living in the UK, I see people preaching and preaching but seemed to see lack of cultural and traditional thinking amongst them. The kind of traditions that strengthen dharam.

Whilst I do strongly support actions that attempt to foster strong roots with an ethical basis (i.e. not just continuing with the caste rubbish), I can't help but think that even with our best efforts things are still in the hands of Waheguru. Lately I've been reflecting on Prithi Chand who was Guru Arjan Dev ji's older brother and who seriously resented not getting the Gurgaddi and caused all manner of serious trouble (even getting teh Moghuls involved!). This is a clear example to us of how despite best efforts, things can still go in a direction we may not like. I wonder what Guru Ram Das ji thought about in relation to how his older son acted.

The other point I'd like to make is one that I learned after maturity. I too used to imagine some Khalistani utopia would be the solution to all our problems but now I know this isn't true. We have to squarely face globalisation. Truth is that most Sikhs loose their heritage (in terms of faith or language) simply because they and their parents have prioritised their worldly success. I read a wonderful poem about this recently by Surjit Patar. Our language will change - that much is natural and taking place with all languages. Sikhi too has been having it easy as well, in terms of not having to deal with a large number of converts of different nationalities and races. If this happens the current Panjabicentrism of the faith will become weakened - which will have positives and negatives. Truth is that we are way too insular as a community, so we don't grow through converts. Add our general lax attitudes towards faith/heritage to the mix coupled with other communities aggressive expansionist nature and you have a shrinking community. In all this, there are no bogey men to blame - just our own community wide apathy.

Whilst I do strongly support actions that attempt to foster strong roots with an ethical basis (i.e. not just continuing with the caste rubbish), I can't help but think that even with our best efforts things are still in the hands of Waheguru. Lately I've been reflecting on Prithi Chand who was Guru Arjan Dev ji's older brother and who seriously resented not getting the Gurgaddi and caused all manner of serious trouble (even getting teh Moghuls involved!). This is a clear example to us of how despite best efforts, things can still go in a direction we may not like. I wonder what Guru Ram Das ji thought about in relation to how his older son acted.

The other point I'd like to make is one that I learned after maturity. I too used to imagine some Khalistani utopia would be the solution to all our problems but now I know this isn't true. We have to squarely face globalisation. Truth is that most Sikhs loose their heritage (in terms of faith or language) simply because they and their parents have prioritised their worldly success. I read a wonderful poem about this recently by Surjit Patar. Our language will change - that much is natural and taking place with all languages. Sikhi too has been having it easy as well, in terms of not having to deal with a large number of converts of different nationalities and races. If this happens the current Panjabicentrism of the faith will become weakened - which will have positives and negatives. Truth is that we are way too insular as a community, so we don't grow through converts. Add our general lax attitudes towards faith/heritage to the mix coupled with other communities aggressive expansionist nature and you have a shrinking community. In all this, there are no bogey men to blame - just our own community wide apathy.

great post...i especially agree that we are way too insular..and that is the greatest hurdle in our kaum growing...i think we need to drop punjabicentrism in sikhi...it needs to become universal and embrace other cultures and nationalisites if it wants to spread and expand..

Like I said in another thread, we need mini taksals in the west. That is the only solution for our children to remain within Sikhi. As for language, the very best solution is to make a rule in the house that no one can speak English in the house. I know a family which applied this rule in their house and their children who are born and raised in the west can communicate in such pure Punjabi as if they were raised not in the west but in Punjab. The family also prevented the children form communicating in English with each other as that is what many Sikh kids do in the west.

Take the Jewish example, before the creation of Israel the Jews all over Europe would always communicate with each other in Yiddish which is an unofficial Jewish language. Problem with our people is that they almost act as if they are ashamed of speaking Punjabi, especially our women. I have seen cases in which Sikh women come to the west after marriage or as students but within a few months pretend they can hardly speak Punjabi, if they do speak it they will speak it with a heavy English accent which is not only unbeleivable but makes me laugh.

Thr problrm is nout Just speaking Punjbai but writing and reading punjbai as good as we do. I have seen kids who speak punjbai and understand but they find it very hard to write punjabi and read pujabi books. We have developed our punjbai skills by going through punjbai classesfor 10 years. We can't replicate that in foreign country.

More importantly the their mindset and thinking level remains western. New kids hardly know how our indian Jugad Technology works. They keep indulged in books and theory

I don't know why you worry when in the West you have the freedom and liberty to maintain your own distinct culture and language, something which is a rareity in other countries of the world. Because of this, there is no need to send children away or to have household rules of not speaking English - seems pretty extreme to me. People who grow up to be professional translators learn languages because of their general interest in language. Couple that with teaching children to be bilingual from an early age, your problem will be solved! So what if your child cannot speak fluent Panjabi by the time they are 10 - at least they are learning.

Vaaheguroo.

every gneration born in the west slowly looses their culture and langauge....even the gursikhs will loose fluency in punjabi in one or two generations...for example the jews before the creation of israel did not know hebrew entirely..only the rabbis knew it..once israel was formed..most are either fluent or have a good grasp of the language....to keep the language amongst the sikh diaspora...we need to keep a connection with our punjabi parent community...even if that means sending your child their in young age for a few years....but even this is a problem for us as punjabi is becoming extinct in punjab....punjabi will be lost amongst vast majority of sikhs..it will become what hebrew used to be...a scholarly language used by a handful of sikh scholars... KHALISTAN IS THE ONLY SOLUTION...WHERE PUNJABI AND ENGLISH WILL BECOME THE STATE LANGUAGES...HINDI WILL HAVE NO OFFICIAL STATUS

And who will run khalistan- Put a puran Brahmgyani in front of me and I'll happily go for khalistan..

Or will khalistan be run by and filled with procrastinating, sinful mor-ons like most of us are...