Speeches Before Battle

Beginner

WJK WJF

ANyone have any writings or know of what Guru Ji used to say before battles, maybe to get the Singhs bir ras and ready for war?

I wouldn't think there'd be any Braveheart-esque speeches or anything like that. Probably a few lines of Gurbani and an Ardaas would be enough I guess. Although I obviously know as much as you do, lol. I wonder if anyone at the time wrote an account of what happened prior to battles?

^^^ I was gonna say the same..

Is there anywhere where i can read english translated of Chandi di vaar bani?

SearchGurbani.com probably has it as well.

Did the Singhs recite this before stepping onto the battlefield or as they faced their enemy or was it recited to them by Guru Ji? surely, before battle, Guru Ji did say something as silence doesn't seem likely?

Thank you for the video :)

I am pretty much sure that guru sahib je and all other sikh before starting anything do ardas.

An Ardaas is one of the most powerful weapons a Sikh possesses, as it is an instrument to request anything from God. It is said daily to supplement prayers and is usually done before any task is being carried out. An Ardaas is very personal to the individual and can vary in passages from Gurbani but the basic structure includes the opening verse of „Chandi di Vaar‟ which is on page 297.

Ik Oankaar Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh||

Vaar Sri Bhagautti Ji Kii|| Paatshaahi Dasmi||10||

Pritham Bhagautti Simar(i) Kai Gur Naanak Laoon Dhiaae||...Sabh Thaaoon Hoe Sahaae||

Furthermore, the following shabad, is often cited as the Sikh National Anthem and comes from the composition, Chandi Charitar.

Deh Sivaa Bar Moh(i) Ihai Soubh Karman Te Kab-hoon Na Daron||Na Daron Ar(i) So Jab Jaae La-ron Nischal Kar Apnoo Jeet Karon||

O Lord, grant me this gift, that I never hesitate from performing good actions. May I never fear the enemy, and when I go to fight, I become victorious. Lord, instruct my mind that so that I have the men-tality to forever utter your praises (Page 240, Sri Dasam Granth)

- taken from KCLSikhSoc

Vjkk vjkf

Just to mention..chandi di vaar praises the power of the creator by describing the power of individuals on the battlefield..if his creation can have so much strength n power, imagine vaheguru (the creators) abilities! And as mentionned by others..ardaas...it's read after any baani so ardaas can only help before entering the battlefield

Vjkk vjkf

Yeah, Deh Shiva would be great before battle and Ardass as well. It would be great if someone could write a Tolien like novel of our history, our true events. I honestly think it could be real cool, like when the rohirrim returned to helm's deep could be like the 40 Mukte returning to Guru Ji. There are other similarities too, but just saying, imagine reading our history in that sort of novel/story form. It woujld be gripping IMO, from the starting at Sri Guru NAnak Dev Ji coming to clean the hearts of people to Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji giving his life to Sri Guru Hargobind Singh Ji, son of the fifth Guru, mobilizing an army, to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, preparing an eternal throne for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Yeah, Deh Shiva would be great before battle and Ardass as well. It would be great if someone could write a Tolien like novel of our history, our true events. I honestly think it could be real cool, like when the rohirrim returned to helm's deep could be like the 40 Mukte returning to Guru Ji. There are other similarities too, but just saying, imagine reading our history in that sort of novel/story form. It woujld be gripping IMO, from the starting at Sri Guru NAnak Dev Ji coming to clean the hearts of people to Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji giving his life to Sri Guru Hargobind Singh Ji, son of the fifth Guru, mobilizing an army, to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, preparing an eternal throne for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

lol was watching that scene just yesterday and thinking about puratan singhs 2

lol was watching that scene just yesterday and thinking about puratan singhs 2

yea, maybe something like the passage below? im no writer and its not at all organized, LOL, but just try reading it in a tolkien-style or older english sorta way, a professional could do a real good job with it :

(Before Vaisakhi)

The King emerged after much deliberation. For three days He had sat, steeped in meditational remembrance of the Author of Events. He had made contact with the Supreme, and as the case with those who do meet Him, eons can pass in the blink of an eye. But the Guru was seen by Singhs leaving His tent on the third day. He had a plan, an idea to change the course of the world. An act was to unfold in the year 1699 that would bring about the birth of a new civilization. The Guru, who spoke only when speech was deemed fit as His speech was not one of normal men, gathered His things and sat and wrote. He was pencilling invitations that were to be sent to the unfree people of the land.

From afar was the notice recieved and heeded. Those eager to see the King in all His glory came from all walks of life, lowly as well as high homes. And it was from these events which were to follow that the Brotherhood of the Khalsa was to be born. This order of noble men and women has survived until our time, but there are few who stay true to its roots. Maany associate themselves with this selective bunch, though they may lack even the simplest credentuals, and thus has the image of the pure ones been negatively affected, and to a lineage which should have been kept pure impurities were seeping in. Things to be remembered were not, and such was the occurence of events that even the annals of history have lost memory of these great ones. But there are those Saints alive still who serve the Eternal King and the Gurus speech is held in high regard by them. They heal and bring the stray onto the rightful path, and with their blessing, the world may yet know of the bravery of the Sikhs of old, for it is from them we have descended and it is unto them we should hope to go when death comes to take us.