Why Follow A Strict Rehat Maryada

Only five

also it is not moral to ask 24/7 every women coming to do path whether she is not on their periods. i think that is why it was kept out of this sacred system. if not on periods then it is perfectly fine but please go and change this at Darbar Sahib first. I think a start should be made at the highest throne.

I don't think women need to be asked if they are on their period, they would know themselves? I don't think men are asked if they did a number 2, you would assume they understand the whole system. I've seen women take part in akhand paaths at gurdwara, so nothing has to be changed. I think it matters more about what knowledge you impart to the youth because they are our future. Most elderly nowadays are stuck into alot of manmat things like caste, so of course they would lack equality and understanding!

Going by what Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj has said, everyone is required to follow Rehat Maryada. Satguru has very strictly said he loves Rehat more than the Sikh. This is the Eternal teaching of Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj and if someone, who others consider to be Brahmgyani, comes along and says i am not bound by the above teaching, then this person has gone against the teachings of Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj. Many people follow different holy men and these holy men are not following Satguru to the fullest. They have a lot of knowledge....more than us all put together, but they also are stuck in ego just like us. Sri Chand had a lot of knowledge but Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj didn't make him the Guru because he was stuck in ego. Sri Chand did not follow what Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj told him. Bhai Lehna ji also had a lot of knowledge, but he had more knowledge than Sri Chand and Bhai Lehna ji had something, which Sri Chand was missing. Bhai Lehna ji had dissolved the ego by following Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj to eternity. There was soo much love between Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj and Bhai Lehna ji Maharaj that they became one. Every step Satguru took, Bhai Lehna ji followed with utmost humility and love. In Sikhi spiritual knowledge is needed, but without following Satguru's every command, we are still stuck in ego and the knowledge becomes a bad thing, like it did for Sri Chand. Bow to Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj with the same knowledge by following every command and now this same knowledge become fruitful. So as Sikhs we need to be careful of these holy men, when they make such statements. Best thing to do is ignore these holy men and stick to Satguru's teaching. Holy men will not carry you to the other side (just like Sri Chand can't, and Bhai Gurdas ji Vaars tell us that Sri Chand couldn't save himself). Only Satguru can carry us to the other side. The Sant's that join us to Satguru's teachings and they themselves follow Satguru's teachings should never be ignored. These are the people who are Brahmgyanis.

There is no higher teacher in this world than our father Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj and our Guru, Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj.

Going by what Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj has said, everyone is required to follow Rehat Maryada. Satguru has very strictly said he loves Rehat more than the Sikh. This is the Eternal teaching of Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj and if someone, who others consider to be Brahmgyani, comes along and says i am not bound by the above teaching, then this person has gone against the teachings of Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj. Many people follow different holy men and these holy men are not following Satguru to the fullest. They have a lot of knowledge....more than us all put together, but they also are stuck in ego just like us. Sri Chand had a lot of knowledge but Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj didn't make him the Guru because he was stuck in ego. Sri Chand did not follow what Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj told him. Bhai Lehna ji also had a lot of knowledge, but he had more knowledge than Sri Chand and Bhai Lehna ji had something, which Sri Chand was missing. Bhai Lehna ji had dissolved the ego by following Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj to eternity. There was soo much love between Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj and Bhai Lehna ji Maharaj that they became one. Every step Satguru took, Bhai Lehna ji followed with utmost humility and love. In Sikhi spiritual knowledge is needed, but without following Satguru's every command, we are still stuck in ego and the knowledge becomes a bad thing, like it did for Sri Chand. Bow to Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj with the same knowledge by following every command and now this same knowledge become fruitful. So as Sikhs we need to be careful of these holy men, when they make such statements. Best thing to do is ignore these holy men and stick to Satguru's teaching. Holy men will not carry you to the other side (just like Sri Chand can't, and Bhai Gurdas ji Vaars tell us that Sri Chand couldn't save himself). Only Satguru can carry us to the other side. The Sant's that join us to Satguru's teachings and they themselves follow Satguru's teachings should never be ignored. These are the people who are Brahmgyanis.

There is no higher teacher in this world than our father Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj and our Guru, Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj.

No one should be bound by the teachings of anyone except for Guru Sahib.

Regarding the rehitnama of there being 25 Singhs, if that really is a rehit made by Gursikhs of Guru Sahib's time then I believe it is refering to Singhnia too. Otherwise, it can be made up in recent times. A lot of false things have been introduced recently such as Akal Takht has made the wearing of a dastar optional for women. Now, if that rehitnama (25 Singhs) is true and made by a Gursikh in Guru Sahib's time then Singhs can also refer to Singhnia. For instance, some rehita refer to men but they can be applied to women -

mWie BYx jo AwvY sMgiq idRSit burI dyKy iqs pMgiq ]

maa(n)e bhain jo aavai sa(n)gath dhrishatt buree dhaekhae this pa(n)gath ||

Great sinners are those who cast evil eyes on women who enter the Sangat and do not treat them as mothers and sisters.

Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

and

isMG isMG pr SsqR n kry ] jwn gurU Kwlsy qy fry]43]

si(n)gh si(n)gh par shasathr n karae || jaan guroo khaalasae thae ddarae||43||

A Sikh should never attack another Sikh. He should recognise others as the Guru Khalsa and should remain fearful of them.

Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh

This is what Bhai Gurdas Jee states in his Vaaran about those who become a Panj -

prmysr hY pMj imil lyK AlyK n kImiq pweI]

paramaesar hai pa(n)j mil laekh alaekh n keemath paaee||

Where the five persons sit together, Lord God, is there, this mystery of indescribably Lord cannot be known.

pMj imly prpMc qij Anhd sbd sbid ilv lweI]

pa(n)j milae parapa(n)ch thaj anehadh sabadh sabadh liv laaee||

But only those five meet (to sit together) who repudiating hypocrisy have merged their consciousness in the unstruck melody of the Word.

http://www.sikhitoth...p?ShabadID=6196

and

ieku isKu duie swD sMgu pMjIN prmysru]

eik sikh dhue saadhh sa(n)g pa(n)jee(n) paramaesaru||

One is a Sikh, two the Congregation and in five resides God

http://www.sikhitoth...p?ShabadID=5849

So, you have shown lack of understanding in Guru Sahib's rehita. If what you said was true and it only means Singhs (men) then Bhai Gurdas Jee would have made that significantly clear! So, the rehit is refering to both Singhs and Singhnia when it says 25 Singhs!

No one should be bound by the teachings of anyone except for Guru Sahib.

lol.....i wasn't even commenting on whether woman can be paatis in Akand Paaths. My response was on a completely different topic......on people calling a certain person a Brahmgyani and then saying....look hes not follow rehat so that means this person is exempt from rehat.

lol.....i wasn't even commenting on whether woman can be paatis in Akand Paaths. My response was on a completely different topic......on people calling a certain person a Brahmgyani and then saying....look hes not follow rehat so that means this person is exempt from rehat.

lol sorry, thought you were. Anyway, what you have said is true.

I think it is up to the gurdwareh to have the rehat-maryada in place. As for somebody like me it is very confusing as to what seva I am allowed to, or should be doing. I never thought that moneh could not prepare or serve langar, where for years our families have been doing it, and not once has anybody stopped them.

I personally dont mind who serves me langar, as long as it is done with sucham, which the same goes for when preparing it for Maharaj ji.

I feel that only amritdhari sikhs should read Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, and ardas and bhog of langar should be done by amritdhari sikhs too.

Yes u are right @kalyugi paji, that they are humbling jobs, even jorea di seva is a job that is rewarding. But i cant understand why moneh should not be involved in langar seva. I was unaware that our Gurus stated that moneh cannot prepare langar. I have not read all the replies to this topic, but did they state they cannot partake in such seva?

I dont think Mat pul rao is trying to cause arguments, i think he is giving examples of that god sees everybody as equal, and anybody can reach god, regardless of religion. I think some people has misinterpreted that wrong, and MAt pul rao, maybe u should have given the example differently rather than mention a religion. but i understand what u are saying. -- oops i'm getting two posts mixed up here, sorry for the confusion, i was reading two topics at the same time.

i'm not debating it, im just trying to understand why and why not.

I do not know of any learned sikhs, thus the reason for asking here, but will try to find one next time i go to the gurdwara, so i can gain the knowledge, thank you ji.

oh and somebody mentioned the menstrual cycle, should women not go at them times to the gurdwara, or just not participate in seva at that time?

Of course you can go to the Gurdwara and you can do seva too. Guru Sahib has never said a woman cannot do seva due to her period. It's natural for women to get this.

I'M NOT AGAINST EQUALITY between men and women as you have given me a TAG.I believe there might be some issues with that that is wwhhy if not on periods then it is perfectly fine but please go and change this at Darbar Sahib first. I think a start should be made at the highest throne.

Don't contradict yourself by saying on one hand that "I'M NOT AGAINST EQUALITY between men and women as you have given me a TAG.I believe there might be some issues with that that is wwhhy.

and then, "also it is not moral to ask 24/7 every women coming to do path whether she is not on their periods. i think that is why it was kept out of this sacred system."

WHAT HAS PATH TO DO WITH PERIODS OF A WOMEN?