Dancing

Guest fool

So why did you learn english? Basic premise, your parents your self felt the need to enjoy (keyword enjoy) economic profit. Please life is not black and white, and neither is guru sahib.

You learn a language to communicate and understand how different culture and society works. Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj knew many different languages are you suggesting now he learned them just for economic profit? Your argument is completely illogical. Satguru has given us the instuctions to learn about other cultures and religions, so we don't stay ignorant. And for that we learn languages. Also Satguru instructed us to make an honest living, so there is nothing wrong with making a profit. Sikhs don't practice what the Jains do. There is clear instuctions on why we learn languages and make a honest living by Satguru. So yeah, if you don't follow these instuctions, then your not practicing as Satguru told you. I asked anyone to provide me one Shabad from Gurbani that says you can dance, but you can't present one; because it doesn't exist. I can provide you Hukams and Gurbani that tells us to study other religions and make an honest living. Listen to Aarti next time very carefully, Bhagat Dhanna Jatt very specifically ask Maharaj for few things, but he only ask so then he can continue on worshipping God.

Lastly my actions don't represent or stand for Rehat Maryada or Sikhi. IF i was making economic profit for enjoyment of worldly things and you want to dance because it gives you worldly enjoyment, does that make us both wrong or both right? Like the cliche goes, two wrongs don't make a right. IF you want to pick at someone's actions and representing Rehat Maryada, then speak about Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa.

If your attached to dancing, then by all means go do what you want, but don't call it a practice which Satguru approves. You would really benefit from reading ang 350, where Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj says even using dancing as a form of worship to God is wrong.

gatka and shastar vidya uses a lot of dance techniques. There is a difference between dancing for sport and going to a night club to find hoes to grind, and wind to get in there with the dutty wine rnb room.

Some drunk people and sober people use the action of punching the air when they dance. So is punching a dance move now? What about elbowing? It's unbelievable what people come up with to justify wrong doings. Dancing is not allowed whether you want to use the excuse of execrise or for a sport or any other reason.

They already have pole dancing exercise.......wonder what the loose Sikh will think of to justify such behaviour. Satguru didn't say this is the dark age for no reason.

Didn't realize we were Taliban now.

I don't see anything wrong with dancing to ballet, or some jazz. A long as its not "dirty" music and your dance moves are clean, live and let live.

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Ke Fateh!

Thanks for that Only Five. That's really made things clear.

The minute you start doing manmat things and start then start trying to justify it by thinking "But so and so does this so it's ok", then you know deep down really it's wrong.

To be honest I think the reason why a lot of Sikhs try to justify things like dancing is because we want to fit in with society as we don't want to be seen as wierd.

Personally my self I don't agree with dancing it's not gurmat it's not something a gursikh would do.

Doing anything for enjoyment has no value in Gursikhi. I mean Guru Sahib didn't approve that. The main core concept is anything beside naam simran has zero importance.

I remember when i was listening to katha of SGGSJ then there was one point when Gursikhs were saying to Guru ji there is Mela in the town and we should go there . Then Guru Sahib asked them what we will do by going there. Then Gurskihs told them that we will enjoy there. Then Guru sahib told them that how long will that enjoyment last. Then Guru sahib told them that enjoyement of Naam Simran never ends.

The point is those things are time wastage accoding to Guru Sahib and have no importnace on spiritual level. Its like doing marketing job where you will only get paid on number of sales. Now the time spent on walking door to door has no value but you have to do that to get sales. Now time spent on eating your meal also has no value , but you have to do that to get energy so that you can make more sales. Now if you spent some time on playing video game during your sales that also has no value. but you are only doing it for enjoyement. So that won't have affect on sales as well so you avoid that. But if you are really feeling bored and playing video games can boost your energy then you can do that and increase your sales

Similarly naam simran is the ultimate thing which counts. Now Doing job , learning english , going to school etc has no value. But you have to do that so that you are financially stable and then you can do naam simran. As long as anything is helping us in more naam simran its ok. If you feel that by dancing you can do extra 2hr simran then i think then that wont be a problem

We have to do many worldy things but we should treat them as part of duty. We should not deeply attached to them. its not like if you do that you will go to hell but its not approved by Guru ji.

Is going to gym manmat? Punching the air is a sports move it is used even in kickboxing and boxing, mma. Guru Maharaj supported wrestling and training we were taught to be tyaar by tyaar. Do you think it is wrong to dance around in your own premises for excercise? Do you know how much of a good work out it is, if you are against music then even instruments, people learnt various gatka and shastarvidya to dhol, nagara and drum beats to master the move. Just look at some gianis with stomach sticking out, that is besti and bedbi.

Gym has music running itself. Various things types of excercise like cardio, circuit training, football training, yoga use various combinations of dance moves. When you are talking about dancing intimatcy, pulling, with a person I think the rehat which says a Sikh shouldn't lay a hand on a women who is not married to is enough for that. I don't support night clubbing, but dancing for sport is a matter of health, how much are you going to limit yourself. I personally suggest on your path as a gursikh go do some gatka and shastarvidya, you will see the use of muscles and bones. Young age is full of energy invest it usefully go take that up or another martial art.

Zamba fitness is okay, tango is different (if you are learning for your partner is up to you). I personally think that if you are married you need to built your healthy grist jeevan with pyare, trust and communication dance is a part of that. Children naturally in young age dance around, you will see kids who run around in guru ghars, takes time and patience to teach them to sit still in meditation and learn naam some give up, you should let young kids todlers run about be selective about the music you listen to, if they watch children programs and dance it's okay depends on the song. But you don't want dirty songs.

I have already said what Rehat Maryada says. If you don't want to follow it, then its your problem. One question a person should ask themselves and another should ask is, who am I learning Sikhi from or where are you learning Sikhi from? If the person stays quiet you know hes using his mind and Satguru says learn Sikhi from Gursikhs, so it's obvious not to trust the person.

Listen to Sri Sukhmani Sahib da paat to keep the ego in check and follow Rehat.