Why Do Ppl Cut Their Hair N Follow Sikhi

KARKOOSINGH23

Well the religious justification is we can trace the kesh maryada to guru gobind singh so some consider guru ji also had followers from other religions who did cut their hair. (however our history says gurus forbid cutting kesh even the rig veda says a full human is one who doesn't cut hair as the yogis, sadhus do). Also Guru Granth Sahib does not explicity forbid not cutting hair.

We live in a majority abrahamic world christianity, judaism and islam abraham gave the order to trim hair, however also said keep it long with a beard however right now fashion is trimming it. Abraham expressed it as a duty to cut hair, so we live with a different tradition who imposes it's values on the majority, just like eating meat. So the argument is which is older and so forth. In many ways our failure to read the ancient indian traditions and our own to preserve our knowledge we can't quote rehats ourself.

A sikh is a learner and a learner can be on several stages so they follow on to a certain level and some people are not ready to keep kesh. Others don't see the purpose for kesh. While some born into the sikh tradition might become athiests or another religion for others they like sikhi more then they follow some pieces of it and ommit others just like some are not read to keep a kirpan some won't keep kesh or others are not ready for amrit or not ready to wake up amrit vela or keep a kangha or kachera. Some are not ready to do nitnem. With the same logic for gurus giving kurbani we should wake up amrit vela do nitnem, not do nindya or chuglia and not gaze at the opposite gender lustfully or lie or cheat or steal or hurt others be pooran gursikhs. Well guru do kirpa, if we are rude to those who cut kesh they might leave to another religion or marry into another. We should be tolerant to everyone.

By the way we can connect with god even with cut hair. The word rom means molecules, cells, building blocks. When we talk about roms we are talking about cells, so the thing about being sabat sorat is being the complete complexion the ancient vedic works taught that for yogis, saints who followed the bhagti marg like bhagat namdev or bhagat ravidas. As from the vedic mandates they refer to it as with the rom the naam goes forth. The point of kesh in sikhi is isht dev, so to know we belong with guru so where we go we are the appearance of guru nanak. The turban tradition was in the whole world but preserved by sikhs the most. Sikhs are under represented in the media if you can do anything about it, I will say take this time to make a youtube channel with your friends record anything, humour, drama etc. Show the world people like you exist.

'

Im not trying to justify cutting my kesh, but just showing only a few follow rehat to the letter. In one way or another Im guessing majority off people have not follwed rehat prescribed by our gurus. E.g amritvela (Like how many have kept nitnem of all banis everyday since amrit), Dasvand etc.

Basically im trying to say only Waheguru can judge, what gives other people who themselves have flaws (albiet to a lesser extent), the right to judge?

I love posts like that when people try to convince themselves rather than others that by just keeping hairs you will not attain GOD. I also used to do same. But man at the end of day its those bad people who will get punished. so you don't need to worry about that. If Amritdhari people are comitting kurehet what you have to do with it. It is not excuse not to become Amritdhari. Those who do the wrong will be punished in the court of lord. If can't keep hair then accept as your weakness , why you are trying to convince youself by finding fault in Amritdharis or keshdaris. it won't get you anywhere.

I wasted many years like that and then ended up with nothing. Always accept your weakness. I am Amritdhari and trying for 2 years and have not been able to wake up at Amritwela. Even i finish Nitnem in Hurry. I know its not Good but i am not able to do it. I am trying and i i have not been successful. But i will not stop trying.

One thing we need to understand is the concept of obeying our Guru. If we are Sikhs or alteast claim to be Sikhs it is our farz to obey all Hukams of our Guru. Keeping Kesh, taking Amrit, keeping rehet, Amritvela is our farz. Only by obeying Guru's hukam can we get his Kushi. With his Kushi we get his full kirpa. Anything we do above farz is bonus. But as Sikhs we need to at least follow the basics and keeping Kesh/Rehet/Amritvela is all farz for a Sikh. And it's not as hard as people think it is.

All Sikhs should strive to keep kesh. Look at how much population Sikhs have in Canada/UK/US. Just imagine if all all Sikhs were Keshadhari, how much visibility we would have. Right now, it is only a small community that keeps kesh amongst the youth and that's tragedy to say the least.

By the way we can connect with god even with cut hair. The word rom means molecules, cells, building blocks. When we talk about roms we are talking about cells, so the thing about being sabat sorat is being the complete complexion the ancient vedic works taught that for yogis, saints who followed the bhagti marg like bhagat namdev or bhagat ravidas. As from the vedic mandates they refer to it as with the rom the naam goes forth. The point of kesh in sikhi is isht dev, so to know we belong with guru so where we go we are the appearance of guru nanak. The turban tradition was in the whole world but preserved by sikhs the most. Sikhs are under represented in the media if you can do anything about it, I will say take this time to make a youtube channel with your friends record anything, humour, drama etc. Show the world people like you exist.

We are talking about the importance of keeping hair in Sikhism. So just stick to the point and do not try to confuse yourself and others

by giving illogical and pointless arguments.

@DalbirSingh,"We live in a majority abrahamic world christianity, judaism and islam abraham gave the order to trim hair, however also said keep it long with a beard however right now fashion is trimming it. Abraham expressed it as a duty to cut hair, so we live with a different tradition who imposes it's values on the majority, just like eating meat. So the argument is which is older and so forth. In many ways our failure to read the ancient indian traditions and our own to preserve our knowledge we can't quote rehats ourself."

Another example of your confused mindset.

What has the abrahamic world to do with Sikhism.

Scooter,

Your first post you mention smartness etc. Well buddy I think majority of amritdharis / keshdharis look smarter than majority of people in general population in UK who cut kesh, as amritdharis / keshdharis will shower, look clean, act appropritely more so than indeginous western people.

Secondly taking amrit is not a bragging right or something to show off, Panj Pyare tell you the rehat, after taking amrit you should follow it to the letter. If trying to wake up, missing amritvela, doing nitnem in a hurry. WHY? You should have practiced and lived the lifestyle only took amrit when you knew can fulfil the duties. Yes you comment on my weaknesses, well you had kesh and by giving examples of bollywood movies Salman kahn, john abraham people waant to look like that and say you cut your kesh. Mate, only commit to something when you know you can fulfil the duty.

Well you may try and convince yourself atleast im trying, well good job, but you can do the exact same as you are and then take amrit when you know you can fulfill the duties of an amritdhari. Otherwise you are just breaking your amrit. Not prescribing to the rehat panj pyare gave you = breaking amrit. Would you not eat or drink for a day? Or only eat a proportion of your food?

Not looking for flaws in genral but only those who are imbecable have the right to judge, otherwise there are always rebuttals, even though very weak. End of the day yes Singhs / kaurs big up for following Sikhi in 21st century western society it's not easy but please don't think your better as majority of people have flaws however trivial. I know my posts are nit picking but just proving most people don't follow sikhi to the letter.

Sikhi is a journey, some have a head start they know nothing but the sikh lifestyle from birth, some get on a fast track turbo charged course. Some find it of their own accord others it is introduced to or forced upon. Others adopt it slowly.

Every one has their own pace. Just read Sikh history. Many great Sikh personalities were not always Sikh, but turned out great Sikhs. Included Guru Amar Das JI, who in senior years by hearing shabads turned to Sikhi and became the third Guru, this after living the majority of his life a vishnavite hindu going on pilgramage to hardiwar yearly.

@gurdssingh

I don't think so that missing Amritwela and doing Nitnem in a hurry means breaking Amrit. Amrit is only broken 4 bajar kurehet. There will never comes a time when you feel 100% ready for Amrit. I think you get it wrong. i was bron sikh , then cut hairs becasue of movies thing. Then came to sangat of Mahaprush and then again became gurskih. mahapurush told me that you will never feel 100% ready , so they told me take Amrit and then go from there.

At the end of day we have to give lekha to guru shaib. So its not about what other are doing of what happened in history. If you think what you are doing will make Guru sahib happy then its ok, no need to tell others