How Come More Sikh Women Don'T Wear Dastar?

because in the current climate created by media women in general are influenced and brainwashed into believing a certain look is the ideal look for women (you know what look im talking about)...its not the case for men..we can still pull it off as their is less pressure on us... sadly it is hard to pull women away from this delusion...but some chardi kala bibya with gurus kirpa keep strong in their rehit ...respect to those bibiya

It depends how you look at it. Mostly throughout our history the majority of sikh women have not worn dastaars.

I took sometime to discuss with the Jathedar of Hazoor Sahib. He told me that Mai Bhaag Kaur was the first sikh women to wear a turban, but she did so only for battle and after that she took it off and went back to her regular clothes. He noted after that point that sikh women started to wear turbans and it was usually only those who stayed in Nihang Dals and not mainstream sikh women (but they usually kept there heads covered). Then the AKJ heavily promoted it, Yogi Bhajan, Baru Sahib, etc, etc. and from there they started there "own" panth. The Jathedar was clear that Guru jee didn't give this Bana to women.

So that is why you see it the way it is, it was never the majority of Sikh women, it was always a minority who belonged to some kind of jatha or dal or organisation, etc, etc. The mainstream women (even though they were amridhari) did not wear them.

I think each group who is promoting this as "maryada", has there own history to support it and they are very clear on that.

Mostly the whole equality theme is blown out of proportion. Man and Women can't be equal on a physical/mental/emotional level, it is impossible - we are basically like ying and yang and when they come together there is a balance. God has made us different on every level. Each sex is superior and inferior in its own way.

Which then leads to a question of spirituality as to whether we can be equal on that level since so many other things are different?

Mostly you will see samprada's don't support the wearing of women turbans. Although Nihangs and taksal don't have a problem with it, they don't propogate it either.

The above is what I understood from the Jathedar Gagri Singh Baba Hardyal Singh.

With full respect to Singh sahib, what is the source of jatehdar sahib on mata bhag Kaur story ? If that is said without any backup source then again with all respect, I think it his 100 %personal opinion otherwise provide historical facts or at least some sort of research.

post-17522-0-06135100-1328750793_thumb.j

from Sri Darbar Sahib - The Golden Temple of Amritsar 1906

Fashion fitting in, generally many women didn't it is more after AKJ and it's emergence, some even ask why should they others don't believe women ever wore dastars. Generally the oldest photos we can even find from harmander sahib don't show women wearing dastar but chuni. It's also getting along in society, while some say a chuni can come off while a dastar stays on. We don't have substantial evidence to suggest women definitely wore dastars even with mughal culture really. All we know is covering head is required as is with men when doing paath and eating. We have chapters of history missing and even lack of reading of suraj prakash granth we need to translate it. http://searchgurbani...ap_suraj_granth

Men and Women are equal in many ways but have different roles in life the biggest difference is of mother looking after a child, the roles it plays even with a womans life. It is difficult in many ways for women to work with maternity the main feminist revolution in the west was in world war 1 and 2 men went to war while women ran the economy it created problems in the social systems like families so people started to sleep around not bother marrying and we have broken systems after that hence why migrants are more family oriented.

It depends how you look at it. Mostly throughout our history the majority of sikh women have not worn dastaars.

I took sometime to discuss with the Jathedar of Hazoor Sahib. He told me that Mai Bhaag Kaur was the first sikh women to wear a turban, but she did so only for battle and after that she took it off and went back to her regular clothes. He noted after that point that sikh women started to wear turbans and it was usually only those who stayed in Nihang Dals and not mainstream sikh women (but they usually kept there heads covered). Then the AKJ heavily promoted it, Yogi Bhajan, Baru Sahib, etc, etc. and from there they started there "own" panth. The Jathedar was clear that Guru jee didn't give this Bana to women.

So that is why you see it the way it is, it was never the majority of Sikh women, it was always a minority who belonged to some kind of jatha or dal or organisation, etc, etc. The mainstream women (even though they were amridhari) did not wear them.

I think each group who is promoting this as "maryada", has there own history to support it and they are very clear on that.

Mostly the whole equality theme is blown out of proportion. Man and Women can't be equal on a physical/mental/emotional level, it is impossible - we are basically like ying and yang and when they come together there is a balance. God has made us different on every level. Each sex is superior and inferior in its own way.

Which then leads to a question of spirituality as to whether we can be equal on that level since so many other things are different?

Mostly you will see samprada's don't support the wearing of women turbans. Although Nihangs and taksal don't have a problem with it, they don't propogate it either.

The above is what I understood from the Jathedar Gagri Singh Baba Hardyal Singh.

Is there any evidence for this? It sounds absolutely obsured to me. How can a Khalsa just wear a Dastaar and take it off like a hat??

The first Bibi to tie a Dastaar was Bebi Nanaki. The main reasons why so many bibia dont wear the Dastaar is because of the Hinduisation of Sikhi, the British and joker Jatherdars of Akaal Takhat who unfortunately did not have no where near as much kamai as previous jathedars.

Think about it, it only makes sense for a Bibi to wear a Dastaar! Khalsa Maryada is for both men and women, not just one.

One person thinks that Bebe Nanaki was the first Singhni to tie a dastar, and another thinks it was Mai Bhago. Very different and confusing.

To be honest it really annoys me that people can think that Guru ji would discriminate against women in such a way. The dastar is the crown of the Sikh, man or woman, Guru ji makes no distinction anywhere in Gurbani. He gave us his image, the image of the Khalsa, that goes for men AND women... there are about ten points for women wearing the dastar and no points against it, in terms of evidence. Am I right to say that before a certain point, women couldn't even take Amrit without a dastar?

More women are wearing them now and beginning to practice the purest form of Sikhi again.

When I go to work at each morning I get on a bus driven by a woman and then a large train driven by a woman. I reach work and show my pass to the receptionist / secretary, who happens to be a man. During lunch break I encounter women police officers with guns telling off male nurses. I turn the tv on in the common room and see women soldiers fighting in Afghanistan being criticised by male peacenick pacifists in London. I get home and cook the dinner, tidy up the house and put the kids to sleep because my wife, who happens to be a woman, works longer and harder than me. I then have time to reflect how I, being born in England, have ever so lovely and soft hands because I've never been involved in a fight in my life. Whereas my wife, being from rural Punjab, has been physically fighting with men all her life...and has the scars to prove it.

The 'difference' between men and women, somosasingh, is a difference that exists only in your head. We, as individuals, create these differences in our minds. They are completely superficial. They are an illusion. The 'real' world, away from the illusionary one, requires female gursikhs to wear dastars exactly the same as men. Whenever I see a sikh female amritdhari without one....I think of her the same way i would a male amritdhari wearing a chunni rather than a pagh. Pointless.