Help Guide Me To Sikhism...

BindasGirl

I am an American Christian girl in a long term relationship with a Sikh man from Punjab. I don't know if we will ever marry but we do see our future together. What do I need to know about being the supportive Sikh wife even if I am never to be "wife" but just in that role?? We are deeply in love and hopefully one day he will agree to move to US with me. For now, we remain long distance. I just want to know what I need to know to be his biggest supporter and "wife" even tho i'm not Sikh but rather Christian. Thanks!!

Guest KopSingh

I am an American Christian girl in a long term relationship with a Sikh man from Punjab. I don't know if we will ever marry but we do see our future together. What do I need to know about being the supportive Sikh wife even if I am never to be "wife" but just in that role?? We are deeply in love and hopefully one day he will agree to move to US with me. For now, we remain long distance. I just want to know what I need to know to be his biggest supporter and "wife" even tho i'm not Sikh but rather Christian. Thanks!!

well i dont kno wat else to add, that the above poster hasn't mentioned bowt websites. But if u wana learn bowt sikhi, go to your nearest gurdwara, or if this love for the sikh guy is VERY DEEP, how bowt goin to panjab and visiting the various historical gurdwaras, to get a flavour of things.

also sorry to sound blunt, but u cant marry him in a gurdwara, if u r a christian, this isnt permissable in sikh religion. if u choose to convert to sikh religion, then u wont have problems, if ur lucky enough, u may find a gurdwara with spineless committees/gianis (sikh vicars) who will allow u to marry without converting. i know this sounds horrible, but there is really no other way of marrying him legally in sikh terms. if u dont fancy becoming a sikh, then its best u just marry him in a church instead. a sikh cannot marry a non-beliver infront of our guru (guru granth sahib).

like i said sorry to sound blunt, but im just getting straight to the point, n cuttin out the namby pamby, so 2 say

all the best madam

As for marrying out of religion a Christian father wouldn't really authenticate the religious marriage as would any Sikh priest for that you need to seek state legal marriage. You can find out more from your local legal advice on the matter in terms of witnesses for marriage and so forth. You can find a few people who could also give you some advice on reception booking and other means.