Family Is Not Letting Me Follow Sikhi

SSingh96

Fateh SadhSangat Jee :)

Last night I had an argue eat with my dad :(

Well I'm 16 and I'm still tying a patka I have nearly enought got a full dhaari

And when I go to the gurdwaras ppl ask me how come I am tying a patka

I need some mor ideas sang at I have tried all the ideas that have been suggested and I get the same reply back buy your own house and go do what you want :(

Okay this will sound strange, but it's the best thing to do. Don't say anything to them about Sikhi. Keep following Sikhi and if your parents ask your opinion on Sikhi, then give them an answer. Otherwise just keep doing your nitnem and doing simran throughout the day. If you can get into good sangat, then do it. Start listening to katha of Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji Maharaj (www.gurmatveechar.com). Focus on getting your spiritual state higher. The people at the Gurdwara don't know your state and they are just trying to push you in the right direction thinking you don't want to tie it. If you face them, next time say Maharaj is doing his kirpa and your moving forward in Sikhi. The people at the Gurdwara are probably worried you might cut your hair because it has happened to many youth in the past who kept a patka till your age.

Do Ardas with love that Satguru blesses your whole family with Sikhi and Maharaj will answer your Ardas. Tell a parent what is right and wrong and they won't listen. Show them by practicing yourself and they are more willing to accept it. Also when you go to the Gurdwara do seva, serving langar, washing dishes, sweeping the floors, cleaning shoes. Your parents will notice how much pyare you have for Sikhi and this will make them humble down. Parents think its a phase your going through and sooner or later you will stop practicing Sikhi and just go back to what they do. So prove them wrong and never get angry with your dad or mom and just keep showing them pyare. Parents think they are doing the best for their kids, but sometimes they are actually holding them back. Always remember that you are very young and have a lot to learn before you can say what is wrong or right in the world.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sukhjeevan singh

Sat Sri Akal

This is an eye opening post. I hope the young Singh finds inner peace whilst still living at home but from personal experience the best thing to do is move out...

For the love of WaheGuru do not lose your Sikhi, I am unsure where you are located but i am in the SW UK & will help you if i am able to.

Education is your key to freedom.

Peace

Read this post, as it addresses why your father is acting like you're doing something wrong. And what you can do about it:

http://manvirsingh.blogspot.com/2006/04/i-want-to-take-amrit-but-my-parents_11.html

But ur dad seems hardcore unwilling to discuss and just plain out "get out" response to anything....seems like kop singh's reverse psychology will have the most effect....

Your dad thinks he's right, so that makes it justified to him to use any and all means. He probably thinks all amritdharis are poor and get killed by police.

i had the same problem except all my family is amritdhari...and i tried to become bibeki(not eat from outside like restaurants and not eat bread etc)

my dad would get really angry and be like "give up water then cause all faucets/tuti's have leather parts on the pump. only dera ppl are into

this sucham stuff" and "brahmaan-vaad"

You might want to tell your dad this true story told by a camp vala baba:

One time a camp in BC, the baba noticed a girl with tatoos, crazy hair, etc.

The baba finally got the story out of the girl and the dad.

That the girl used to do Sukhmani Sahib everyday, but her dad stopped her

and told her to just concentrate on her studies. But the girl said she could do both,

but he didn't listen. So the girl rebelled and started doing

wrong things. ...