Best Areas In West Midlands

Guest Gupt

my friend please tell me wat somalis actually do in southall? apart from hanging around streets together, causing fights. they have made the streets much much more dangerous, especially after dark. crime and rape has gone up because of them. i have loads of mates n cousins in southall/uxbridge and hayes areas, n they all say same thing regarding these somalis. claiming benefits with 6-7 kids, smuggling drugs etc. please tell me wat contribution the somalis have made since they have come 2 southall?

Look, my issue is with something that happens on this website - making massive generalisations about ethnic/religous groups.

There are good and bad Somalis - just like in every community there is good and bad. Somalis have also regenerated neighbourhoods by opening businesses that meet the needs of their community - just visit the Uxbridge Road in Shepherd's Bush or shopping areas in Southall.

yes, some may be involved in drugs smuggling .....but so are plenty of Sikhs in cities like Vancouver..

I know the pardaan of th LSE Sikh Society and work near the LSE student accomodation based at Southbank. I would advise applying for halls, they are in a superb location for seeing all London has to offer, and LSE Sikh Society is pretty active, so you will always have sangat and various events to attend. Your main Gurdwara I expect will be Central at Shepards Bush, thats where most students who live in the City go.

Send me a PM if you want some contact info or further advice. Or you could look up LSE-SU Sikh Society on facebook and ask for advice there. Better you stay with Gursikhs who rent in London and go to the same Uni.

Best of luck with your studies/exchange programme.

• 8 months later...
Guest anonymous

you should move to coventry its a very nice place and loads of sikhs live in the northern part of it or leamington thats good to. do not move to birmingham its a rough place. wolverhampton is a great place to go for sikhs because its packed full of them lol :)! overall these places are good

Guest Bolo ta ra ra ra

Handsworth handsworth wood west brom smethwick great barr walsall (tamebridge) wolverhampton whitmore reans goldthorn majority apne south hall full of nignog smellions

• 1 month later...

I live and work in the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield, lovely place, quiet, middle class, tolerant, sikh pop about 1000 in whole town. Only 20 mins drive from Nishkam/ Soho Rd / Handsworth. All outstanding schools, great facilities and Sutton Park, the biggest park in Europe.

You need to think about this move more carefully Gupt. Its all very well being able to live in a much bigger house at a much cheaper price but....the future is not you....The future is your children. Think about them. You bring your children up in the midlands and they'll grow up with an English language accent that will never, in a million years, gain them positions of respect and authority outside of the west midlands. You'll be condemming them to a life of ridicule. And, as is often seem from english language discussions on the Sikh Channel, they will probably grow up speaking a standard and command of English and its pronounciation that is 2 levels lower than that of an educated immigrant to this country. Stay in London fella. Think of the children.

wsl

Whats with middle class communist snobbery ?

Birmingham and London are sess pits and full of inner city slums.

I have 34 years experience of Living in the West Midlands, i am proud of my accent we are real people.

Sikhs in Birmingham West Brom, Smewthwick, Black Country have much more strength compared to those in London.

Where was the International Sikh Youth Federation started ? Wasall. Where was Shere Punjab started ? Birmingham Handsworth, where was the first Gurdwara made by Sikhs made ? Smethwick.

Where was Sikh Channel started ? Aston Birmingham, Sangat Tv ? Brum !

Bhai Mohan Singh is from Brum has the accent, and very good speaker, you would look down on him too.

London has no culture no identity a 3rd world sess pit lost to the world.

You seem to think education is better in London than Birmingham and kids in London will have a btter accent ? how do work that out most of the Kids in London do not hold English as thier first language,

Based on the limited information provided, I would suggest that you look into Leamington Spa (approx 15 mins drive to Coventry), Warwick, Sutton Coldfield (typically you would get a 4 bed house within budget), Harborne, Edgbaston, Walsall, Tettenall in Wolverhampton, Handsworth Wood (H.W. will be closer to Soho Road than some of the other Birmingham areas, I think you will find a larger population of Indians in H.W, so it really depends on what your criteria is, other than what you have already specified).

Hope that helps, good luck.