Best Areas In West Midlands

Guest Gupt

hey guys I'm just reposting a question i asked on this thread a while back but no one answered.

I'm soon going to be doing a study abroad program to England from the US.

Where is the best place to stay? Southall?

Southall does have some benefits. You can rent a shed in someone's back garden for a few hundred pounds a month, as long as heating and hot water are not important to you.

You also have the opportunity to learn Somali and Urdu from the local population.

....and if there is a Mrs Singher23 back home, there are plenty of places to buy cheap jewellery and clothing on the Southall Broadway.

Nice one hissing. I deserved that :) But to seriously answer our brother's question its actually quite difficult. If, his main basis is Sikhi and his right to live, function and walk around as a amritdhari Singh than perhaps areas of the west midlands or west london are perfect and highly reccomended to him. But its a difficult one to call simply because there is so much difference between a person with 'sikh' thinking and one with 'punjabi' thinking. If he is of 'punjabi' thinking then there is nothing in England he will like. he'll have a nightmare stay here. Coming from America he'll hate it. We tend to get American and Canadian students from rich white families who come here because they love the history, architecture etc. These are things that the 'punjabi' holds in low esteem. Its difficult to give him a reccomendation without knowing his nature as a person.

I am with New York university now and they have a joint program with the London School of Economics. So I will study at the NYU location, in the Bloomsbury district and at the London school of economics.

And I will be studying Economics (lol)

I wanna say 2 things to you 'singher23'. Firstly CONGRATULATIONS for having the opportunity to study at the LSE. Secondly, even though I don't even know you, as someone older than you I am actually PROUD OF YOU for studying there. Its a very small world we're living in, that is getting smaler by the day, but you don't know yet just how many prime ministers and presidents on wahegurus earth actually got their education at the LSE. You'll soon learn. And i hope you make the most of it and make us all proud.

There's very little advice to give here brother. You'll be in the outskirts of the olde 'city' so east london and its massive Sikh community would be closer but east london has since the days of shakespeare been the den of iniquity....and the west london area of Southall is too far away. You need to forget about basing yourself in one of our Sikh ghettos. Engalnd is not like america or canada. Here, the older generation, remembering the Sikhs as saviours of this country, have upmost respect for Sikhism and the younger generation, without knowing the sacrifices or the differences, have respect and tolerance of all. There are Laws of the land set up by no less than the likes of Winston Churchill himself designed to protect and respect your right as a Sikh to wear a kirpan etc.

You forget about these kinda worries. They don't exist where you're gonna study. You just need to get here, study hard and in the future make us all proud. Live in the accomodation your uni will provide you or look at a tube map and pick any location within easy travelling distance. Even then my only advice is to avoid going east and either choose somehwere north london or...in an ideal utopian world...choose somewhre on the west of the central line. Thus....choose maybe Ealing. That way, your're not onlly within easy reach of the LSE via Holborn but you'll also be just a few minutes bus ride away from either the Sikh hub of Southall or, commuting towards your university, the central gurdwara, set up by the maharaja of patiala, in shepherds bush. Either way, well done and good luck.

Guest KopSingh

Southall does have some benefits. You can rent a shed in someone's back garden for a few hundred pounds a month, as long as heating and hot water are not important to you.

You also have the opportunity to learn Somali and Urdu from the local population.

....and if there is a Mrs Singher23 back home, there are plenty of places to buy cheap jewellery and clothing on the Southall Broadway.

learn somali or urdu?

fair enuff there are alot of dirty somali around, but to suggest that there is loads of urdu speakers (pakistanis) in southall , is slightly way off the mark. there may be 2-3 thousand paks in southall, but nothing compared to the number of sikhs still living in southall. southall will always be panjab central, dont be fooled by the number of pak chick/chips takeaways, thats there fave trade anyways. also i rekon the number of afghan muslims n afghan sikhs could outnumber the pak population in southall too in near future.

learn somali or urdu?

fair enuff there are alot of dirty somali around, but to suggest that there is loads of urdu speakers (pakistanis) in southall , is slightly way off the mark. there may be 2-3 thousand paks in southall, but nothing compared to the number of sikhs still living in southall. southall will always be panjab central, dont be fooled by the number of pak chick/chips takeaways, thats there fave trade anyways. also i rekon the number of afghan muslims n afghan sikhs could outnumber the pak population in southall too in near future.

Seriously, I find your use of the word 'dirty' with reference to Somalis as slightly offensive. It's the kind of language that the white population of the UK used against our parents/grandparents when they came to the UK in the 1960s.

Guest KopSingh

Seriously, I find your use of the word 'dirty' with reference to Somalis as slightly offensive. It's the kind of language that the white population of the UK used against our parents/grandparents when they came to the UK in the 1960s.

my friend please tell me wat somalis actually do in southall? apart from hanging around streets together, causing fights. they have made the streets much much more dangerous, especially after dark. crime and rape has gone up because of them. i have loads of mates n cousins in southall/uxbridge and hayes areas, n they all say same thing regarding these somalis. claiming benefits with 6-7 kids, smuggling drugs etc. please tell me wat contribution the somalis have made since they have come 2 southall?