1836 French Authors Description Of The Akali'S

genie

The following is a description of them from a French article published in 1836:

The ancient Sikh principles were still maintained in a certain cross-section of the population, and one still saw religious devotees called ‘akalis’ (immortals) perpetuating the marks of the warring abilities of the old of their sect. The akalis wear a blue cloth turban on their heads which ends in a point which flops down in front; to this they fix several round pieces of iron, these sometimes act as a defensive weapon, being used like a quoit. They don’t cut their hair or shave their beard, and carry a sword and shield just like their master Guru [Gobind] Singh, and they have added a club to this.

These religious devotees do not believe in multiple gods and prohibit the worship of idols; however they do honour in particular Dourga Bhavani, goddess of war, arms and courage. They eat animal flesh except from cows, which they venerate; they believe in reward and punishment in the life to come, just as in reincarnation; no holy images are found in their temples and their prayers are simple and short. In a word, their cult is strict and without flamboyance.

It's important to note a lot of scholars of past have taken advice from Hindu pandits in writing Sikh history. I'm not discrediting this but it's important to know this as well.

In my honest opinion IF Sikhs ate meat, then the cow wouldn't be an exception...There was an article that i think Singhstah posted on Waheguroo forums that also stated that not all Akalis ate meat. I think the article was written on Kamalroop Singh's blog.

Hmm were did my post go in reply to singher23's question did they eat meat?

If posts are disappearing without explanation then there is seriously something wrong with how mods are conducting themselves on this forum. You cant just remove a whole post by someone if it isnt abusive and no explanation is given.

Please read our very famous and basic forum rule regarding meat issue. We do not allow any pro-meat talk on our forums regardless of any type of topic/debate/discussion. If you have any further concern please feel free to contact any mod/admin.

Admin I agree that there shouldn't be a debate on meat or not I hope the thread wasnt going to go that way. However if a post is deleted an explanation should be given so that members are made aware of why. Otherwise credibility of the forum will go...

Please read our very famous and basic forum rule regarding meat issue. We do not allow any pro-meat talk on our forums regardless of any type of topic/debate/discussion. If you have any further concern please feel free to contact any mod/admin.

why shouldnt their be a discussion on meat...when the original akali nihang khalsa consumed meat...it seems like one jathebandi has took 100% control of this forum..i bet you will delete this comment too