Destiny - Is It Written?

Just a general question, but in sikhi we believe that waheguru has already written our lives for us, am I right? If so, why is it

that so many peoples lives are written to never unite with god and to fall into these worldly pleasures?

And where does destiny / kismat fall into this? recently Ive had a hard time in life in general and I question why life has been

written out in such a way for me .... Would appreciate any awnsers to better my understanding. Thank you

I have thought about this alot..... are we given free will if so then...how can it be when our destinies are already written (kismat). The best reconciliation in my mind I can make is that as God within all of his creation. Waheguru can change the destiny as he wills. He is the master we are the mere puppets on this stage (this world). This is why when Gurbani says everything Waheguru does is a blessing even bad times and punishments are gifts its because we have to accept the hukaum of the lord that is the sign of a true Sikh and one destined for salvation. The lord does how he wills and no one can stop that.

Guest KopSingh

I have thought about this alot..... are we given free will if so then...how can it be when our destinies are already written (kismat). The best reconciliation in my mind I can make is that as God within all of his creation. Waheguru can change the destiny as he wills. He is the master we are the mere puppets on this stage (this world). This is why when Gurbani says everything Waheguru does is a blessing even bad times and punishments are gifts its because we have to accept the hukaum of the lord that is the sign of a true Sikh and one destined for salvation. The lord does how he wills and no one can stop that.

well im sure our life is already written (muqadar/destiny) for us, but im also sure it can be changed aswel. a story comes to mind -

guru hargobind changed the taqdeer/destiny of a women who couldnt give birth, she was a MASSIVE devotee of the guru, despite being emotionally low in terms of not havin been able to have kids, she always did non-stop seva in the name of god. Guru Hargobind then re-wrote her taqdeer/destiny by physically writing on paper/or his hand (i cant remember properly), but as he went 2 write a particular number, his horse that he was sitting on top of starting moving n jumpin up, and the number originally that was goin to b written changed 2 a seven. the women then went on to have 7 kids (all sons i believe, not sure).

if ive got this story wrong please correct me, im tryna find the video online where i heard this, so im writing this purely from memory.

well im sure our life is already written (muqadar/destiny) for us, but im also sure it can be changed aswel. a story comes to mind -

guru hargobind changed the taqdeer/destiny of a women who couldnt give birth, she was a MASSIVE devotee of the guru, despite being emotionally low in terms of not havin been able to have kids, she always did non-stop seva in the name of god. Guru Hargobind then re-wrote her taqdeer/destiny by physically writing on paper/or his hand (i cant remember properly), but as he went 2 write a particular number, his horse that he was sitting on top of starting moving n jumpin up, and the number originally that was goin to b written changed 2 a seven. the women then went on to have 7 kids (all sons i believe, not sure).

if ive got this story wrong please correct me, im tryna find the video online where i heard this, so im writing this purely from memory.

Interesting story not heard of it before. And yes I believe we can change our destinies too because Waheguru has instilled part of him (the soul) within us. If we realise this we can be masters of our destinies rather than let circumstances or let other forces dictate our lives.

Guest KopSingh

Interesting story not heard of it before. And yes I believe we can change our destinies too because Waheguru has instilled part of him (the soul) within us. If we realise this we can be masters of our destinies rather than let circumstances or let other forces dictate our lives.

hey guys ive found the video, this is it. forward to 10:30. - This is Killa from Sikh Unit on one of his many fantastic educational talks (in English Too). Check it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU1LKjrOawU

i got some bits wrong on my previous post, but got the main gist of it correct

Ive taken on board your awnsers and your story but then I cant help but raise another question. Why is it that for some individuals, their destiny is worse

than others and therefore more commitment is needed to change it? For example, someone raised up around gursikhs and taught the values of sikhism is

likely to hold a strong destiny and is more likely to take amrit - in comparison, another person raised around people who are not loyal to sikhi will hold a

different destiny and will need to work harder to improve the course of his destiny

Define 'strong' and 'different' destiny. By 'strong' do you mean 'successful' or 'potential to have an easier, less turbulent life'? Explain please.

Going on from your example, imagine the opinion God will hold of a person who has been raised around Gursikhs and Sikhi but still doesn't realise the gifts available to them, BUT the person who hasn't been around such religious people and yet still goes onto make that connection. Who is the better person? The one who was complacent or the one who worked hard to overcome the odds?

Baji your future is already laid out, what i mean by this is that God can see till the end of time as can Gur Mukhs who have Merged in to Such, but that doesnt mean we dont have free will, it may seem abit of a contradiction, but its not. As for Karm yea there dictated by our past lives but not all of them were human, on the flip, if by great chance you find Sadh sangat any Paap you may have done can be wiped Clean, as Gurmukhs dont fall in to Karm they just exist in the present and any actions they take can alter your and othesr future including life and death, Baji its alot to think about, best not get entangled in this as it can drive you Nuts. Best thing to do is what the Gurus did live in Paana and see everything as Sukh (a blessing)

• 5 years later...
On 7/3/2012 at 10:43 AM, SikhInTheMaking said:

1)Just a general question, but in sikhi we believe that waheguru has already written our lives for us, am I right?

2)If so, why is itthat so many peoples lives are written to never unite with god and to fall into these worldly pleasures?

3)And where does destiny / kismat fall into this? recently Ive had a hard time in life in general and I question why life has been written out in such a way for me ....

Would appreciate any awnsers to better my understanding. Thank you

Dear poster,

following are the answers to your 3 questions above:

1)Wahiguru does not write anybody´s destiny, neither does He judge anyone. His devotees call Him an infinite Ocean of love and mercy, so, He can never ever be so partial and unjust.

Let me ask you one thing, do you know what is the meaning of destiny?

We all know, when we send a letter to someone, there is a sender and a destinee. 

Our destiny is, because we are the destinees. Of what you may ask? Well, of our own sown seed karmas. There can be no destiny without karmas. Neither destiny can be made out of someone else´s karma seeds. We perform karmas, and these return to us like a boomerang. Destiny is a reaction to  previous actions.

The Bani says: aapay beejeh, aapay khaae. So of course, if we plant chillies, we can not expect to get apples.

Life in the triloki creation is made in such way, that absolutely no one can escape the law of karma, not even the highest gods, godesses, devtay, etc.

2) Light is always there, but if we turn our back towards the Light, naturally we shall be in darkness, inspite of there being Light.

In a similar way, Wahiguru is there, but if we prefer to remain trapped in Maya and koor, how can it be the fault of Sachay Patshah Wahiguru Akal Purukh?

It is we who have turned away our faces from Him and ran far away, forget not only as human beings, but as well in the in the wheel of 84(chaurasee lakh joonees).

Nothing happens just like that, if we fall in a deep and a dark well, naturally it is only that, bit by bit we reach up, but then if we deliberately slip down, naturally we shall fall down again at te bottom of the well.

He, Akal Purukh, is  sad Mehervaan, Bakshanhaar, He gives us manush deh, He blesses us with  the Amrit of Gurbani, He also blesses us with the company of Guru Sahiban, of Gursikhs, but still we pay no attention to all His blessings, and prefer maanmat, so naturally, how can we ever get freed fro the mayavee creation.

He will never pull us out forcingly, He wants us to get matured gradually by ourselves, by going through our own karms, which leave  deep impressions on our mind, and by their effects on us, we shun to do bad karam in the future.

3) you may believe it or not, our destiny is shaped in such a way, that it makes us a better being, though from our actual spiritual level we may not perceive so, only when we arise above within, and see how His Hukum is carried on, we shall then say, there is nothing wrong in the entire creation, but that will be only then, not otherwise.

Having said all this about karmas and their reactions, would like to end saying that Guru Sahiban and all the Bhagat Jan in the Bani, have been a living example to all of us, that if ever we want to free ourselves from this creation, we have to just to switch our attention, our dhyan, our attachment from the unreal and periishable creation, through His bhakti, to the only One Eternal Truth, who is beyond the influence of  mind, of Maya, and consecuently of Karma.

You may ask, how to detach or uproot here, and attach or plant there, at His Lotus Feet?

To this question, Gurbani beautifully gives us the master key message in simple words:

Naanak, Naam Dhi-aa-ay, toon dar Sachay sobhaa paaee.
O Nanak, meditate on the Naam, (the Name of the Lord), and you shall obtain glory in the True Court.

Any other form of devotion, not in accordance to Gurmat as stated above, is all manmat, thus a heavy tight chain around our necks, to perpetuate our staying in the mayavee creation.

God bless you.

Sat Sree Akal.

Dharm raaj will judge. An hasaab is done of all deeds and which of those were destined as per karma. Your own deeds of bothe good and bad on this new life's account are what you tally up under the free will banner.

I can give you plenty of quotes from gurbani that show GOD is and WILL judge This is done through devotees Dahramraaj, Chitr and Gupt.

DESTINY -> is PRE-DETERMINED by the EK ONKAAR.  >>>> I can show you plenty of gurbani quotes if you insist.

You are correct that DESTINY comes after KARMAs>>> ie. Destiny is pre-determined after the account of karams. since "KARMAI AVAI KAPRAH"  The kaprah is only worn on your soul and determined from the karams of SOUL.  But, DESTINY, >>is determined as to where your Kaprah, that will now contain your ego, soul and body will endure in this lifetime..  The DESTINY is for KAPRAH. Whether you become rich lawyer or poor burger flipper will not matter to your soul. Your soul will depart with only the treasure of NAAM-if you get it and the new hasaab of KARAMS wiped or gathered. DESTINY won't come into equation.