Why Are There No Women Granthies In Darbar Sahib?

Depth

im all for bibya doing seva in darbar sahib..but there must be a reason why they have not been allowed to as of yet...why were they never allowed to do kirtan?..there must be a reason..

My honest guess is the same reason only a few Singhnian picked up arms and fought. I guess it's because of how much gender roles play a part in our daily lives. I don't think the reason was that they weren't allowed, but that they didn't try. Now if they try i think it's said it is not allowed.

My honest guess is the same reason only a few Singhnian picked up arms and fought. I guess it's because of how much gender roles play a part in our daily lives. I don't think the reason was that they weren't allowed, but that they didn't try. Now if they try i think it's said it is not allowed.

Could be...we see many more male Sants than female Sants...

Yes, gender in terms of the way the culture at the time was heavily male oriented. Some might say it still is.

So Sikhs (or faiths from similar Asian backgrounds) were hardly keeping their women down whilst the whites in Europe were awash with female saints and warriors. Joan of Arc and Saint Teresa (not Mother Teresa) are the only notable figures I can think of from the top of my head without resorting to Google.

Wasn't it in the early 90s there was a big hoo-haa in England about females finallly being able to be ordained as bishops or ministers? So its not as if the West has been leading the way for centuries when it comes to gender equality in religion.

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi

discrimination ....

And then they sugercoat it with "Its our tradition "crap !

We are a discrimination-free, casteless religion in Guru Granth sahib only , not in actual practise

mainly because people think people will start perving on them, in gurdwara male raagis do kirtan infront of men and not women, it is for gender thing really and mainly. Some people try introduce at times segregation at times some people have mentioned some women get molested in harmander sahib some have said people grab there chest or other forms of lustful points of assault. Also women can't do ishnan with men they can't do it infront of everyone, women have a small separated room. some might ask if men and women are equal why don't men and women share toilets in public or even in gurdwaras, men and women share toilets at home. So to avoid perverts or other things involving lust from happening some provisions take place however we do have istri sabhas in gurdwaras where women do kirtan. next people will ask why can't women be panj pyare?

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi

mainly because people think people will start perving on them, in gurdwara male raagis do kirtan infront of men and not women, it is for gender thing really and mainly. Some people try introduce at times segregation at times some people have mentioned some women get molested in harmander sahib some have said people grab there chest or other forms of lustful points of assault. Also women can't do ishnan with men they can't do it infront of everyone, women have a small separated room. some might ask if men and women are equal why don't men and women share toilets in public or even in gurdwaras, men and women share toilets at home. So to avoid perverts or other things involving lust from happening some provisions take place however we do have istri sabhas in gurdwaras where women do kirtan. next people will ask why can't women be panj pyare?

what if the male ragi or the guy in the sangat happens to be gay <edited> ??

kaam still persists in that case lol

im all for bibya doing seva in darbar sahib..but there must be a reason why they have not been allowed to as of yet...why were they never allowed to do kirtan?..there must be a reason..

You are being sexist. What can be the reason?????? Bibis do kirtan in almost all other Gurdwaras .

People will start perving on them?? Mind you, people are in a gurdwara, not it some club.. What king of a view is that? Kirtan is done not only in front on men, women are also present?

How about we just let the bibian raise this issue? By all books, there are no restrictions. If bibian really want a particular sewa then they have to work for it and earn it. Also, such issues need to be raised by those who live locally rather than someone from other country (huge cultural differences).

Without any offense to all my brothers and sisters.. It is a shocking reality that our sisters in Punjab are not active anywhere in any field. How many kaur activist we see today (both here and there) ?

Take a look at this forum, how many bibian we see discussing any social or political issue at hand? Either it is all singhs fault for not providing platform or either bibian taking their freedom granted.

Bibian and Banday can do any job in our sikhi society however preferences can be given to certain gender in various fields.

This issue has been brought up several times in the past few years. When we talk about bibia being granthis in the Darbar Sahib, I always think, how many "other" gurdwara sahibs have their head granthis / main appointed keertani as bibia inside and outside of India? I have seen a few keertani jathas of bibia, seen bibia who do occasional keertan seva in local gurdwaras and also seen a bibi doing katha, but I haven't heard about many doing the seva as the main person in any gurdwara sahib. Before jumping onto the pavitar seva of Darbar Sahib, bibia first need to become active in other gurdwara sahibs.

And, it would look better if bibis were taking more interest in this topic. lol