Why Are There No Women Granthies In Darbar Sahib?

Depth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6bb21HIgPY

...you know I'm kidding, Singh. Or am I?..... :wow:

How we went from whether our sisters should undertake Granthi duties to the topic of homosexuality with the midpoint being GAY RAGIS ( :blink2:) is another one of those SikhSangat mysteries,

We should have a thread called 'The Six Degress of SikhSangat'. :biggrin2:

Mr. Chang strikes again. The infamous 3 second clip that you dread getting replied to one of your posts/threads haha.

Yeah, I agree. I was debating whether or not to make a post about how we've gone astray but thought, hell, might as well post something I believe regarding the new subject. :lol2:

Back to subject. I still full heartily believe in the post that I made on page 5. Merely washing of the body doesn't make one pure and Sikh woman have no limitations to do sewa equal to men. Freed paaji made a good point as well how the current mindset of banning bibian from doing equal sewa as pursh is sanatan hindu mat, not Gurmat.

Whilst I don't have enough knowledge on this subject to decide whether Bibis should or should not do Granthi seva, I have wondered how it would make me feel if I discovered (somehow, lol) that I was a Sikh Bibi in a previous life and I was denied the chance to do Granthi duty? Remember, everything about me is exactly the same, i.e. my devotion for Sikhi, my attachment to Waheguru, my knowledge of scriptures, etc., as much as any male. It certainly made me think twice about this particular issue being so cut and dry.

This Shabad is by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Aasaa on Pannaa 472

mÚ 1 ]

ijau jorU isrnwvxI AwvY vwro vwr ]

jUTy jUTw muiK vsY inq inq hoie KuAwru ]

sUcy eyih n AwKIAih bhin ij ipMfw Doie ]

sUcy syeI nwnkw ijn min visAw soie ]2]

First Mehla

As a woman has her periods, month after month,

so does falsehood dwell in the mouth of the false; they suffer forever, again and again

They are not called pure, who sit down after merely washing their bodies.

Only they are pure, O Nanak, within whose minds the Lord abides. ||2||

No need to write a paragraph on this non-issue.

Would just like to leave this here. Direct words from Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale, "baaki je parshad vich kise bibi ni vitkara hunda, kirtan karan vich vitkara hunda, jaan kisse hor Gurmat de programe da vitkara hunda te oh bibi dasse".

It is very clear and direct what is Gurmat and what is not. I think merely the discussion of this is causing more harm than anything. Sant Ji also talks about manmat where people try to do very weird things in hopes to try to create more "ekta" like having the guy walk behind the bibi and then vice versa each round of Anand Karaj which is pure manmat and twists Gurbani.

We need to make it clear and push Akaal Takht Jathedar and SGPC to bring equality where no one is prevented from being able to do sewa and kirtan. If we need to look for examples of equality in Sikhi we need not look further than our rich history.

I have not read al the threads but will write the following: Puratan Maryada, women are not allowed to do keertan at darbar sahib or allowed to be the pujaris / granthis. Please read Gurbillas Patshahi 6 and the Sri Suraj Parkash for the maryada and when it was created.

Veerji can you please post the direct quotes as I can't find them?

Surely it is either being misinterpreted or it doesn't say that considering what Guru Sahib tells us, what HISTORICAL FACT tells us, what Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale says how woman have every right to do kirtan and other Gurmat program sewa. It's sad we blindly accept some things like these without being true to ourselves and looking at what it means to be a Sikh and whether this is Gurmat or not.

I won't be ashamed to say this is backward and brahman mentality to bar a bibi from doing any kirtan or any sewa.

In another speech by Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale he talks about how only in Sikhi a woman is allowed to part-take in all the services and read Gurbani but in Islam woman are forbidden from doing so. He goes on to say a man may reach heaven but what will happen to the poor woman.

@Singh559, you are spot on when you say,"I won't be ashamed to say this is backward and brahman mentality to bar a bibi from doing any kirtan or any sewa."

There is nothing shameful to call spade a spade.

It is these backward thinking and brahmans in guise of Sikhs

who need to be ashamed of their shallow thinking and mindset.

And you say based on your beliefs that a person's sexuality is the main reason for marriage. Ever seen a man being dragged around by his wife because his sexual inclination has taken over his brain? The world is a lab. If everyone in this world is to be treated as your brother or sister can you have a sexual inclination for them? Why would Guru Sahib tell everyone to refer to others as their brothers and sisters, when by your understanding sexual inclination is a or main reason for marriage?

Many people put Sikhi in a box because of their shortcomings. I can't escape this, so Sikhi says its okay to commit such and such. I can't comprhend this, so Sikhi says it can be done or can't.....whatever i concluded with my limited ability. I wonder how big Akal Purakh is for those who put Sikhi in a box.

Can't wait till the dominate women stand up for their equal rights and have two sexually inclined husbands marching behind them with there little bells and leashes on. They are going to look so cute!!!!!!

sorry where do i mention sexual inclination in my post? really dont know where you are going with your post!

either way i think singh559 hit the nail in the coffin pretty much sums up the best answer that we will have on here.

@Singh559, you are spot on when you say,"I won't be ashamed to say this is backward and brahman mentality to bar a bibi from doing any kirtan or any sewa."

There is nothing shameful to call spade a spade.

It is these backward thinking and brahmans in guise of Sikhs

who need to be ashamed of their shallow thinking and mindset.

who should i listen to?..you? or puraatan maryada?...PURAAATAN MARYADA IT IS!