Are Sikh Weddings Turning Into Expensive Bollywood Day-Dreams?

SikhWorldTv

YouTube is now full of very lavish sikh wedding videos where one-up-manship is out-of-control I feel mainly influenced by these zombiefied daily indian tv dramas...

No disrespect to the couple or the families but what religion are these people? isn't the facial covering of the singh from islamic tradition? isn't most this hindu? with some western music and ideals?

Gone our the days of a simple Akhand Path Ceremony following by Langar and then home. Now it's Bachelor party the night before.. Turn up late to Gurudwara with a hangover. Leave Gurudwara early for the afternoon party.

I'll probably get banned for what I think of this kind of stuff. What a sorry shower we're turning into.

Although fair play to the lad, after the Anand Karaj he didn't tear off his dastaar and get the Gilette Mach 3 out for a quick spin for the Bollywood sequence in the park near the end.

EDIT: Content aside, the camera man and the person directing the shots is actually quite talented. It's professional and slick. Must have cost a bomb. :biggrin2:

Honestly, the Sikh wedding has turned into a big show, people take out 50,000 loans from the bank to stage these.

A typical wedding cost is this:

$20,000 for wedding rental hall (food, dj)

$5000 for gurdwara rental!

$5000-1000 for suits

$5000 for camera man, photographers

$1000 for makeup artist

$2000 for limo

Add all that up and this is the typical middle class Indian wedding in Vancouver. It's obscene, and half the time the people get a divorce. I really think what happens is the middle class want to show off their wealth, but its all a show people.

Honestly, the Sikh wedding has turned into a big show, people take out 50,000 loans from the bank to stage these.

$5000-1000 for suits

$1000 for makeup artist

$2000 for limo

Add all that up and this is the typical middle class Indian wedding in Vancouver. It's obscene, and half the time the people get a divorce. I really think what happens is the middle class want to show off their wealth, but its all a show people.

Thats ^ actually quite cheap by UK standards. The average cost here has got to be around £90,000 ($150,000 Canadian).

My wedding cost nothing more than a few hundred pounds. Because I knew that taking out massive loans to get your daughter/s marriied and thus putting your family in perpetual debt is the number one reason for the massive rates of suicide among sikhs in punjab, I didn't want blood by proxy on my hands. I knew I, and every other western Sikh, needs to set the right example to the folks back in Punjab. Thus....my one and only condition for marriage was that no more than a few hundred should be spent on the wedding. We got married in Punjab and my in laws argued that it would cause my wife problems at the British Embassy if she can't show photos and videos of a big wedding. I told them it would not cause any difficulties if she explained to them why we felt it was important to set the right example. She went for her interview at the embassy and they were so impressed with her answers that the normally hour long interview was over in a matter of minutes. She got her visa. Bish bosh bish. Happy days.

$5000-1000 for suits

$1000 for makeup artist

$2000 for limo

This is very low by Vancouver standard. You will be lucky if you can find a Bibi or Singh(Amritdhari or not or about to be Amritdhari) to accept this price. 70g's is easily spent by the average family.

The rich are given money so they can give to the poor. The average family is given money so they can support themselves and give the left over in donations to help the poor. The poor are made poor by Satguru so the rich can wash their bad karma off by giving, but today the rich and average families are collecting more sins by the day. There is no Dharma left in us. Satguru started a community where the rich are feeding the poor and the poor are getting out of their struggle. This community revolves around the Gurdwara. The rich give in donations to the Gurdwara. Where the Gurdwara in return supports the poor and gives them the services to pull out of poverty. Plus the rich are only rich because Satguru gave them that money in the first place. But gone are these days because majority of the Sikhs have accepted creating an individual identity is the purpose of life (a western concept that is hammered into every student from first grade), but Satguru calls this feeding the ego, which will send us straight to death without liberation. For a few minutes of pleasure, we will suffer thousand of deaths.

Also, what's a Gurughar doing charging $5000 for an Anand Karaj??!?

On a related note, no wonder - in England at least - holding Akhand Paaths in the large Gurdwaras of whichever city or town you happen to reside in, are no longer the preserve of modest earners. It seems you can only attain God's blessings if you can pay for them.

Even the medium-sized and modest Gurughars take the biscuit with their prices. It's one of the reasons many of the sangat can only afford to hold a Sukhmani Sahib da Paath (for whatever reason), when in past times most Sikh families were holding Akhand Paaths left, right and centre from what I can remember as a child.

'Remember the masands!'. :biggrin2:

Honestly bro,

My parents own something related to the wedding industry and thats sort of a rough figure, 50K, your right there are a lot of apnai who will spend more for that. Ridiculous amounts, I have seen "BELLY Dancers" now at weddings, so embarassing, no shame by people.

Anyhow, amritdhari or not, I find weddings to be disgusting and boring. I'm more inclined with how goras do it, simple weddings.