Baisakhi 2012 / Bhai Rajowana Singh

Tony

Fateh . . .

Guru payro jio

We are all aware of the current issue of Bhai Rajowana. I do not want to take this conversation towards the ongoing movement and everyones efforts. I have tried to call into the TV channels with the following suggestion but didnot get through.

However a gentle suggestion. Pls dont flame me for this.

Yesterdays gathering at the IHC in London, achieved giving an open letter to IHC. My concern is that we as Sikhs are still not united in protesting and ensuring that this reaches the mass media i.e BBC, ITV, SKY, CNN.....

How about this.

The Baisakhi Nagar Kirtan's are cancelled to start with. We then arrange for a SINGLE (1) protest for UK in London, for France in Paris, For Holland in Amsterdam, For USA in Washington, where all Sangat turns up and have a protest. The Nagar Kirtan is to demonstrate and have a procession for Sikhi. The mass protest will achieve the same albeit require some administration and gathering.

A protest of this nature will gather mass, and will get highlighted in the overall news coverage which gives us the exposure which is needed.

Look at yesterdays gathering of 10-15K in London, it only made the Sikh TV and Sangat TV news, and was NOT even mentioned in the London Tonight.

Appreciate concerete feedback rather than Flames.

Fateh.....

A protest of this nature will gather mass, and will get highlighted in the overall news coverage which gives us the exposure which is needed.

Look at yesterdays gathering of 10-15K in London, it only made the Sikh TV and Sangat TV news, and was NOT even mentioned in the London Tonight.

Appreciate concerete feedback rather than Flames.

I think the lesson here then, is whenever such demonstrations are organised, the organisers need to pick up the phone and let the news desk at SKY, ITN and BBC know before liasing heavily with sangat and sikh channel. The viewers of sangat and sikh channel are not the people we're trying to reach anyway. They already know what the problem is. SKY, ITN and BBC can't show up at a demonstration unless they know there is a demonstration. And it ain't gonna make their news bulletin if they ain't got their own camera pictures of it. This has obviously been a serious oversight by the organisers. But, I'm not being too critical because I think they did a fantastic job at such short notice.

From those that were there yesterday, can you tell me what the reaction of the Indians in the queue at the embassy was ? Normally, they can become quite abusive.

Also.....Has there been a reaction or statement from Amnesty International ? Call me a cynic if you will, but have any of you noticed how Amnesty International UK has not said a word about Sikh human rights since the day, a few years ago, that a Hindu Indian lady became head of operations in the UK ?