Degh/ Sukha

young khalsa

pita parmeshar di koi vi banaiya hoyio cheez mardi nai vartan da, seva karan da tarika marda hunda....the matt you do it in is wrong, laughter in west is thought as a good thing for the body, a good way to relieve pain and be healthy...in some countries laughter in open for women especially is thought as bad.... but that same laughter can be used and be a drive while killing someone, a emotion purposely used to discriminate against someone, while looting a womens izzat it can be used, laughter can be used as a technique to hurt others....same as weapons, the matt you use it in, you can take weapons n go kill innocent ppl but with those same weapons u can use them for different purpose and that is purpose guru ji told us to use weapons and defend and only punish dusht, but now who is dusht is anyones opinion in society...

It is SPECULATED that Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave marijuana to Khalsa before they went out to battle, to numb the pain. I however have a little trouble believing this because Marijuana makes you lazy...so why would Maharaaj give it to Sikhs at a crucial time? Also, he taught that doing Naam Jap will allow someone to never feel pain, so i don't think it is true, although many people do.

Anyway, this is the excuse Nihangs use to use Bhang, because they must always be Tyaar bar Tyaar, so they always need to be consuming marijuana

Whilst I accept that doing Naam jap will mean you don't feel pain, this doesn't happen straight away. You must reach a higher spiritual plane before pleasure and pain become the same. Majority of people won't have ever reached that stage.

Hence analgesia will be required for most of us. Cannabis has differing effects depending on how it is consumed. Can make you relaxed/calm (which you could argue is important in settling nerves before battle). It can further cause problems like loss of coordination (surely vital to maintain during battle). At the extreme ends, it can cause psychosis and aggressive behaviour (the latter could be construed as necessary, the former could be very dangerous).

If cannabis was used, it would have been much milder than current cannabis plants which are generally cultivated to be very strong. Hence, the cannabis would likely to have caused a state of relaxation and nothing more. Unless taken to intoxication, it would have limited (if any) impact on cognitive processes. You could also argue that caffeine can be used as a drug to enhance performance or reduce fatigue. Should we outlaw caffeine too? Remember, cannabis has less associated problems than either tobacco or alcohol.

Most medicine contains alcohol but how many of you take medicine when ill?! Alcohol on its own is not allowed and no Sikh would drink it but when small dosages are added to other substances if forms part of a medicine which is then allowed? Lol

Bhang on its own is not allowed, in that state it is usually mixed with tobacco and smoked I believe. When preparing shaheedi degh it is rigorously grinded and then added to various other ingridients such as almonds, black pepper, lacche etc

It is not consumed as an intoxicant the same way medicine containing alcohol is not. And besides I don't believe anyone just looking to get high can put all that time and physical effort into preparing shaheedi degh!

A better source then me, Baba Nihaal Singh Ji ( close ally of Sant Jarnail Singh during Dharam Judh Morcha) explains the puratan history and legitimacy of shaheedi degh

bhaang wasused inbattles like if some ones hand got cut off they wud giv him bhaang so they wud not feel the pain , not like nowwhere ur just sitting on the sofa and lets do some bhaang guru ji gave it to sikhs . Also in anandpur there are a lot of hinus majority that converted to sikhs and a lot of hindus do bhaang as like a ritual and in anandpur they even were tilaks and other stuff . u shud not do bhaang if ur not in trouble like ur hand gets cut off even a doctor wud giv u medicine which is made up of drugs to calm the pain down . BHAANG WAS USED FOR MEDICINE THATS IT .

Sant Gurbachan Singh clearly says Kabeer Ji is talking about those in kansi who call themselves bhagats but eat/drink bhang, Shaheedi Degh is not Bhang, the same way medicine containing traces of alcohol is not shraab.

Baba Nihal Singh clearly gives the maryada and history of shaheedi degh in his katha. Before people start saying stuff about his credentials he's been given the title of 'jinda shaheed' ( living shaheed) after he was shot liberating Paonta Sahib Gurdwara from the corrupt mahants that were in charge.

During 1984 Baba Nihal Singh was Right Hand Man of Sant Jarnail Singh, and had many altercations with the Indian Army and Politians. The police raided a camp and caught Baba Ji and his Singhs, and tied him upto a jeep and dragged him around the villages on a rope,tearing his skin apart and painstakenly broke his arms and legs. They tied his beard up with his "nala" from his kachera and beat him continuously. But baba ji , never gave up.

I'm sure such a gursikh jinda shaheed knows more about maryada and the meanings of gurbani then all of us put together!!!

Won't be posting on this topic again, akaal

Absolute pathetic post by someone who has no faith in the abilities of Khalsa warfare or the Martyrdom of the forefathers of our faith. 

To justify taking intoxicants to give one the confidence to face sure death takes away the shine off the sacrifices and pain endured by those great souls that laid down their lives for the Sikh faith.  Bhai Mati Das Ji,  Bhai Sati Das Ji,  Bhai Taru Singh Ji,  Baba Deep Singh Singh Ji,  Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Ji,  Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale Ji and countless Shaheeds from modern and past era never used any intoxicant potions to attain martyrdom.

Also to clarify "Bhang is Marjuana"!

The base ingredient is not Tobacco or Alcohol it is simply Marujuana which is crushed into a paste and mixed into a Milk drink with nuts.  

Tobacco is especially frowned upon in Sikhism because it causes harm and contaminates its surroundings which is why it is called 'Jagat Jooth' in Sikhism.  

Bhang falls into the categories of Alcohol and Drugs that affect the mind.  All of these have been forbidden in Sikhism.  So making exemptions for it's use for the battlefield and giving it a new name does not take away the fact of it still being a intoxicant.  

No Singh or shaheed needs or relied on Bhang to face their enemy on the battlefield.  The only thing those great souls were intoxicated with was the name of the Guru, Their Belief in Bani!

Use your brain and ask your soul for these answers and I'm sure no one can believe that the Guru needed chemicals to trick the mind of his Singhs to convince them of being able to face their enemy.  We are way to strong to rely on any form of intoxicants!

Balwant Singh Rajoana is facing his enemy today and he is no way or form relying on Shaheedi Degh/Bhang. He is intoxicated on Naam Simran!