Who Is This Ragi?

singher23

Two of my favorites: Bhai Surjan Singh Ji (Asa ki vaar) and bhai Gopal Singh ji.

I still have my dad's vinyl record of Bhai Surjan Singh Ji's Asa Di Vaar. I use to wake up to it every morning when I was a kid. Must've been at least 15 years non-stop. Great times.

Bhai Gopal Singh was also a great ragi. A lady use to say "Sarab Sanji Gurbani" at the start of every tape cassette. :biggrin2:

when he was unheard of, he and his jatha were rarely doing any keertan at Gurdwara's. Once they met Sant Kartar Singh Bindrawale and Bhai Gopal Singh asked mahapursh for blessing that they may become famous keertania. Mahapursh said to read the Sri Chaupai Sahib 25 times per day. It is said that they became so famous that in all of Darbar Sahib complex it was difficyult to find a place to sit down and liaten to his keertan.

some other famous keertanias were bhai sunder singh who are unheard of today, they were great ragis of the past such as the famous Baba Sham Singh. I have also heard that the great Pandit Sharda Sahai once played at Darbar Sahib. In my opinion todays Darbar Sahib keertan has become weaker than its glorious past, however people like Bhai Sarbjeet Singh Laddi are doing a lot of seva to revive the old traditions.

some other famous keertanias were bhai sunder singh who are unheard of today, they were great ragis of the past such as the famous Baba Sham Singh.

is Baba Sham SIngh the raagi who did kirtan with he saranda for like 50 odd years at Sri Darbar Sahib?

what does naetar heen and soorma singh mean?

naetar - eyes

heen - in this case it means without, but heen generally means low, as in of low...

soorma singh is the saying from the times of Dal Panth, where Sikhs who lost eyes or didnt have sight, were refered to, as Soorma Singh, brave warriors.

As in Nihang Singh boli.