The Issue Of Hair

Guest Ranjit Singh

Guest Ranjit Singh

@ Ranjit Singh - Keep on learning with an open mind. It's good that you're trying to come to a decision based on facts from various sources instead of being lazy and taking a pair of scissors to your hair without putting much thought into it. The fact that you're going to these lengths to read-up on the issue suggests that there is a degree of uncertainty on your part about whether you're making the right choice.

I'd be curious to know if you recite Gurbani. Is it something that interests you? If you're not doing paath or anything like that, try it but not because you wish material gain but try it just for peace of mind. See how a dedicated, prolonged period of Gurbani recitation makes you feel. Like I said, go into it with an open mind, and then see whether you feel any change within yourself. Of course it won't be a sudden epiphany (it might if you're lucky :biggrin2: ) and it might take some determination on your part to really discover whatever it is you want the answers to.

The late teens are a very curious, confusing (even if you don't feel it) time in our lives. Best not to make any life-defining decisions during these years as I personally think any choices are heavily influenced by the impetuousness of youth even if you feel you're quite calm and logical.

One final thing: Why does your father need a year? Is it to prepare and console himself or what? Sounds a bit ominous... :biggrin2:

I don't read the Gurbani nor can I speak or read Punjabi. I have very little knowledge about Sikhism, which is why I have taken up to reading, researching and trying to talk to people about this matter.

My father needs 1 year in order to prepare my uncles and people in my community, and more importantly, that I have time to think about it and research.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Bhaji, I wonder you asked yourself questions, The only solution I can see is find Saad Sangat, Join kirtan ransbabiee, programme, or camps! I recommend You to go to Khalsa camp or Sikhi camp this Summer, May you get your answers! Fatehji

http://www.khalsacamp.com/uk/ Khalsa camp Website.

http://www.sikhicamp.org/ Or Sikhi Camp...

It has nothing to do with war, or durga or whatever other nonsense Kushwant Singh writes about. It's about keeping yourself the way that God meant for you to be. This is accepting His Hukam.

Hairstyles come and go. What was "cool" 20 years ago is now ridiculous. If you saw a lion with a spiky, gelled mane, you would laugh. You're a lion, why are you trying to look like a fudu? Just be what you were meant to be.

That being said, keeping hair is only one aspect of Sikhi. Being a good Sikh also means cultivating your inner spirituality. Having hair without spirituality is like having an expensive sports car without an engine in it.

You can be a good person without kesh, but at the end of the day we should all strive to be complete gursikhs. Inside and out.

Like Kaljugi said, it's good that you are at least looking into this rather than just putting a pair of sissors to your hair. Also, like the previous poster said it's about how God made you (and there's are no fault's in God's plan and creation, which you are a part of).

There's no doubt that the world is putting more and more pressure on men to look more and more like women. With even 'closer shaves' and face creams for men, men themsleves are taking more and more pride in having shiny feminine complexions with pretty little faces (may be we are all turning bi-sexual on a subliminal level? - there's certainly a lot of confusion out there!!).

Survey:

One thing you could do is carry out a little survey...

Speak to all the Sikh boys who keep their hair from 4 years old to 15 years old. Listen to their answers and see how inspired you are by their answers and character.

Then speak to all the Sikh men aged 30 to 80 years old who take great care in keeping a feminine appearance by keeping their face totally free of hair and going to hair stylists and beauticians to keep crafted hair styles. Listen to their answers too and see how inspired you are by their answers.

Remember, the above survey must be given by somebody who professes to be a Sikh and answers as a Sikh. Please test each on the Guru's teachings i.e. how much of Guru Granth Sahib Ji's individual shabads do they understand and how much of the history of the Gurus do they know (or even names of Gurus etc). As if we don't even now our Guru Ji's message and writings, and examples through their lives, what do we know?

I think you will be very surprised with the findings of your Survey and will definitely keep your hair!!

Video:

Or you could just watch this video:

kes... its spiritual antennas.. just like a 'kals' on the top of domes of gurdwaras! wen we do naam simran, the tool of kes become utilised.. if u cut it, its not there to vibrate. so u dont increase in ur spirituality. we have a tongue. kes. the beat of heart. sur. sound. taal. raag. all as tools for us to increase in our spirit.

kes gives charecter that our guru G wants. and saves us from becoming self conscious.

god is puran (complete). we must become complete in every way if we are to merge back into god.. else, we just aint worthey!

emotional n physical completeness 1st. mental n spiritual completeness 2nd.. these are the 4 main parts of us that make us up who we are.. this the key how we are to move further towards the 5th one.. that being >>social<<..

we all want completeness. these 4 catagories govern us, on the completeness 'ladder' so to speak.

emotions are the key to everything.. hence jin prem kio. so this is y we start with this first. mental can come second or third. as, some people dont need to know anyhting, to be happy physically as the '>feeling' is enough.. if they feel secure, it can be enough for the physical 'caragory' to become complete within an individual. others, need proof etc.. (proof only goes so far. so this is why, it doesnt reely matter on the large scale of things.) mental completeness well.. most sane people have this. and those that are sane, only get completeness when 'base questions' for them, have been answered (like me). spiritual completeness, is the completeness we aim for, using naam simran,/ bani, seva, and keertan.. it is the path of sikhi. i hope u see that the keeping of hair comes way before walking the path of sikhi. but has a major function in all of sikhi..

hope this helps!

gurfateh brother!

btw, kes, or kesh, means any hair on the body.

I don't read the Gurbani nor can I speak or read Punjabi. I have very little knowledge about Sikhism, which is why I have taken up to reading, researching and trying to talk to people about this matter.

My father needs 1 year in order to prepare my uncles and people in my community, and more importantly, that I have time to think about it and research.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Veerji think of it like - Gurbani states time and time again the Wahegurus Will is the sweetest. If Waheguru did not want us to have long it would not keep growing back. A Gurmukh once said if you cut your hair, you are actually challenging Wahegurus creation. Guru Gobind Singh Ji said to Bhai Nand Lal Ji - Being a Sikh, if one goes around without a sword, his soul faces the transmigration - now let me clarify on this one line - Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself was so great, that even He Himself too Amrit. Taking Amrit is key to being a Sikh of the Guru. Wearing a Kirpan is mandatory for Gursikh. The first of the panj pyaare was Daya, which means compassion, only when you have compassion will you respect the Wahegurus Hukham. When we go to the Gurudwara and we do Matha Tek, what your actually doing is giving your head to the Guru, Guru Granth Sahib Ji says over and over again, give your head, your body and mind to the Guru and in return, the Guru will become yours. Dhan Man Dhan. Its the exact same when Guru Gobind Singh Ji asked for 5 heads to initiate the Amrit ceremony. People used to take Amrit before Guru Gobind Singh Jis time by drinking the water of the Gurus washed feet. Guru Gobind Singh Ji created this Amrit ceremony for all people who wanted to be Sikh to take this Amrit and he sealed the very essence on how to take Amrit.

Sorry if I went off the topic a bit but keeping your hair is a requirement and yes it is one aspect only but a Gurmukh pyaara once said - if you cant even look after the external part as per Gurus wishes, how will you clean your inner self?

Sincere apologies if I have offended anyone.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Ranjeet Singh