Who Will Bell The Cat?

Ek0sikh

Who will bell the cat?

An old story which we all are familiar with features rats collectively thinking who will help by tying a bell in the cats neck so that we can be alerted when she is on the hunt. It is pertinent to note the ideology of some Sikhs who support Khalistan and who are propagating those thoughts again through different media. I want to ask people who support khalistan and criticise Badals – are they ready to go back and bell the cat?

Old Khalistanis

Sikh Channel discussions are the one to note in this regard. Many persons who have taken refuge in UK in 80’s and has run away leaving behind their brothers dead in encounters in Punjab. They sought refuge in several countries and never returned back to finish the fight. They have grown old but their ideology is still creating bitterness in the society. They might have influenced some young brains under their protégé but it is not far when youngsters will understand that those who don’t deliver and make sand castles.

If someone can ask them why can’t they go back instead of discussing these issues on TV and sort it out their way?

Go back and seek control of Sri Akal Thakt sahib ji because as per you it is under Badals at the moment. Go back and fight in SGPC elections to change things.

It is funny that they talk about bringing all the Sikhs together except badals. Have Badals done anything right so far?

Badals

There are two types of Sikhs in Punjab- one who follow the constitution and one who not. Interestingly the second category is outnumbered and only selective fighters like Bhai Balwant singh ji emerge from time to time often from unknown quarters of the population to take up the cause. Those people never seek publicity or entertain public through media whether it is TV channels or newspapers. They “do” something rather than “discuss” something.

Many people living abroad criticise Badals for their negative role in the previous matters. They are the ones who want to follow the constitution and have huge followers whether you agree or disagree. They know better than anyone else how things work in India. They played an important role to stop this hanging whether to save their own government or to save public getting butchered again by the Punjab police. They are the ones who can talk to the centre.

Ask those who criticise Badals to go back and fight them in elections, seek public votes and then do things as they want. If their election deposit doesn’t get refunded I believe they won’t mind that. No point in maligning someone who is not even present in front of you to defend himself.

Young Khalistanis

Those born and bred in foreign nations need to first understand Punjab politics and read history through different point of views. Some of them go there for holidays only or for making a documentary which is different things. Giving your opinion here is different than facing the ire of Punjab police.

If you sincerely want to take up the Khalistan issue, go and live with those people, seek their opinion and then try if you have guts to do something. I am 100% sure that some young khalistanis can't even sit together and get through a meeting? how will they run Khalistan?

What is next?

If you want to help genuinely

• to the peace keepers-
  • Adopt village children and preach Gurbani e.g. pay fees if someone learns path and stays in sikhi swaroop. Start from the root level. They will one day grow up and join the administration to change things for Punjab.
  • work within the legalities of Indian system and then realise your dream of Khalistan by propagating the thoughts about the cause e.g. work with punjab govt on development projects, consult rural people what their areas are lacking in and work on that etc.

• to the hot headed- start morchas to occupy Sri Akal Takht sahib, then change the way sgpc works, then declare khalistan. take the fight to the punjab police.i'm sure you can buy your ticket back to punjab asap.

Lastly to Sikh Channel- Stop anyone who is blabbering rubbish on the air. good effort but try and get some different opinions. Fed up with the repetition of same thoughts....don’t you.

Finally who will bell the cat? Ask oldie khalistanis sitting abroad with big smiles on their faces.....oh have they eaten their Weetabix anything else upsets their tummies.

Excellent article. Well written and good thoughts. My only difference would be that I dont agree that the hot headed or 'fighter Sikhs' should turn their attention to taking over the Akal Takhat Sahib and to fight with the Panjab Police. To an extent that happened in the 80s anyway when the hardline jathebandia elected jathedars with hardline views and declared Khalistan at Akal Takhat Sahib in 1986, as well as forming the Panthic Commitee to implement their plans which included fighting with the Panjab Police.

I would argue that we have been there in the past and it hasnt done us any good. Actually, the present strategy used by the Sant Samaj and Taksal to influence Panthic affairs by joining hands with Badal and infiltrating the SGPC and influencing Akal Takhat Sahib from the inside is probably a far more effective approach for them. Interestingly though, despite this more covert and intelligent strategy, many UK Sikh youth and jathebandia seem to regard this as evidence for their treachery.

There are plenty of other activities for the hot headed fighter Singhs to get involved in. I believe that a more organised security network would be highly beneficial to the Sikh Community. A disciplined task force with ex-military staff designed to look after the security of Gurdwaras, Sikh institutes, bodyguarding for Sikh leaders and politicians, and finally, providing security to the community during times of civil unrest, since we cant rely on the Police.

If we could set up a disciplined security network like that, we wouldnt need Kharkus. The focus would be on community safety to counter the threat of Right wing Hindu paramilitary groups such as RSS and Shiv Sena and paramilitary groups belong to certain Deras, who incidentally, are very well organised and trained compared to the Sikhs.

Just my thoughts.

ekosikh first bullet point is 100% accurate.

what we need is to sponsor young children in punjab in villages and cities from all backgrounds.

this is a long term war. we will not win with just guns.

the majority population at the moment does not want khalistan. we must accept this reality.

we have to change thoughts in not just sikhs but the others. this will take at least two more generations.

we need to create a mentality similar to the jews where they save their greatest hatred for jews who are not zionists (ie not pro state of israel) - this took several generations to create.

this is the start of a revolution albeit a very minor start. and nothing more than that.

we need to sponsor the children of so called lower castes

In answer to a question posted a few days ago - ^ are your intellectuals.

Although I don't 100% agree with every point, there is a reasonable legitimacy in each point op makes

Khalistan is always the alternative to a punjab in India where Sikh/Hindus/minorities can coexist, neither can be ruled out in the long term.. the fear the minorities have of a khalistan government breeds hatred. Until we have their trust and support a Khalistan movement won't become a achievable political goal.

Just waiting for the backlash now - wish I wrote this gupt lolz

Where the dere get ther support is from them being seen to be nice to the poor, no public in-fighting and good pr.. places we need to improve to become a viable political solution.

OP if you helped push a formalized method of support/education for the poor I'm sure you get some good responses.

In answer to a question posted a few days ago - ^ are your intellectuals.

Although I don't 100% agree with every point, there is a reasonable legitimacy in each point op makes

Khalistan is always the alternative to a punjab in India where Sikh/Hindus/minorities can coexist, neither can be ruled out in the long term.. the fear the minorities have of a khalistan government breeds hatred. Until we have their trust and support a Khalistan movement won't become a achievable political goal.

Just waiting for the backlash now - wish I wrote this gupt lolz

Where the dere get ther support is from them being seen to be nice to the poor, no public in-fighting and good pr.. places we need to improve to become a viable political solution.

OP if you helped push a formalized method of support/education for the poor I'm sure you get some good responses.

Totally agree with you regarding Khalistan. Unfortunately, in most circles, Khalistan has become a dirty word and is associated with extremism and terrorism. Whilst the concept of greater autonomy and freedom of the Sikh people is a good one, the Khalistan tag actually does more harm to Panthic morchas nowadays than it does good.. ie as soon as you start mentioning the word, most people, especially Indians will just completely switch off. Not only that, many Sikhs themselves dont want anything to do with it, so it actually becomes a hindrance to Panthic Unity in many ways. Unfortunately, some Sikhs refuse to recognise this and try to attempt to hijack non-Khalistan related panthic morchas with Khalistan slogans etc. which actually pushes alot of people away rather than draws them in.

I think that for the short-term Khalistan campaigning should take a back seat for a while and perhaps re-visited at a later date, or at the very least, it should be replaced with a different name for the same thing, but one which doesn't have the loaded connotations that Khalistan does.