Internet Not A Valid Source For Gurbani?

Jaggaa

I guess no one actually knows or wants to talk about such things which effect us the most. Rarther discuss if a monks actions are of shaheedi or suicide and then have 3 pages with 2-3 people arguing with each other.

Close this topic, message to others : If you want to use tablets/phones/websites to search for Gurbani just make sure they match the Original Pothi Sahibs and havn't been typed up wrong. If they have do your best to e-mail the maker of the program or website and let them know about which particular bani has been typed up wrong. Best we can do I suppose, it's not done intentionally by authors of such programs i'm sure.

Fateh

I think the only solution is that every application is read by jathabandis (including the Taksaal) and then rated for it's transalations too. Significant errors could be made to be amended by the provider who is trying to do a honest seva. There are enough Singhs in all the Jathabandis to all take serveral angs each and get this done in no time. The could almost view it as a Sehaj Paath.

These apps are going to be read by millions so it's better the Gyanis and Granthis proof read them rather than ignore them.

Then the question is how do we go about organising the developers of these program to get their bani proof read?

I was thinking that the relevant Jathabundis or Gyanis or Granthis could just download all the apps available and just email the developer of any mistakes for the developer to then simply send out updates for the apps that will automatically correct all apps (it's up to the users to ensure they get all updates).

It's a shame that there isn't a single site that rates all gurbani apps available so users could be made aware of those apps that contain mistakes, and where they contain mistakes.

I suppose the same problem has existed with Gutke or Pothi Sahibs where there has been errors or different versions floating around (I have to say that I have always relied on the Taksaal's print media). I think Gurbani apps and all electronic media have a great role to play (like MP3 files etc).

You have picked up on a very valid point but I think it's something that can be fixed if organisations like the taksal help to ensure no mistakes are circulated. Although, most members of the taksal are porbably not in favour of apps due to 'Suechum issues' etc. However, they have to play their role to ensure the sangat are not mislead through apps - if we support the taksal financially, as everything needs resources!

I guess it wouldn't be too hard if the developer could post all his bani somewhere for us to read or Granthis etc to read so that we can have 1 person reading from the developers used Bani and then 1 person read and follow it through on a Gutka Sahib. Easiest way I think. So what next? Should I just e-mail a couple of developers that have made apps on Android etc and could someone do it for the iphone apps? (I don't have an iphone and don't know how the shop works there)

Edit :

I have e-mailed 2 of the app developers from the main android Gurbani apps,

Amirt Keertan Gutka dev and the Gurbani Searcher dev. Hopefully they will read this and possibly answer here or to my e-mail in regards to what their thoughts are on this.

If someone could be ever so kind and do the same for a couple of the main iphone app developers, so that you can draw there attention to this topic.

Sangat Jee,

I have been looking through some apps on my android tablet and phone etc which you can search Gurbani which claims to have indexed sources such as Amrit Keertan Pothi on it etc. However I have come across a particular shabad which has put some doubts on the internets authenticity.

I'm going to use 1 particular shabad as an example and also understand it could just be an exceptional anomaly.

The shabad is : Har Sachae Takth Rachhaeaa Sath Sangat Melaa

I have an Amrit Keertan Pothi from around 40 years ago and this Pothi Sahib itself has been used by Puraatan Gursikhs. Now line 3 and 6 in the Pothi Sahib are as follows :

3 : Gur Simar Manaee Kalkaa Khandae Kee Velaa

6 : Gur Sangat Kenee Khalsaa Manumukhee Duhelaa

however on other internet sources and the Amrit Keertan android app also searchgurbani.com it is different and possibly incorrect (I say this because this shabad is from Bhai Gurdas Jee's vaaran and could potentially have 2 different versions)

3: Gur Daas Manaee Kalkaa Khandae Kee Velaa

6 : Sangat Kenee Khalsaa Manumukhee Duhelaa

Is there any learned Gursikh here who can clear my doubt and whether I should scrap using these apps etc and just stick to the Gutka Sahib?

I use it for Keertan purposes and don't want to be reading the wrong shabad.

LINES FROM THE AMRIT KIRTAN POTHI ARE CORRECT, may download Waran Bhai Gurdas ji

from SGPC site, from which the pauri is taken.

FATEH

Guru Pyaareho, I have recieved a great e-mail from a developer. I will just paste it here, it explains that they are already aware of this and doing their best to sort this out :

Surinder

"WJKK,

WJKF!!

This is a possibility of mistakes, as I have taken files from

Internet and created a DB by parsing them. I know, at many places in

Bani other than SGGS, there are inaccuracies, which were brought to my

notice time and again from Sangat which I have corrected after doing a

due diligence ( unfortunately there is no authentic copy against

which I can verify other than SGGS and few other banis). I have not

yet got any authentic correction request for SGGS.

For correction, best is to read the bani from large screen aPad and

notify me through e-mail, If I try to export the files and give it to

you, then it will only solve 50% of the problem, but the remaining 50%

will remain as there is lot of post processing logic which is

performed, before the bani is rendered on the screen.

There are few Sikhs, who have volunteered to read the bani in

Ludhiana and have promised me to send the corrections. I am yet to

receive corrections from them.

Regards,

Surinder"