Negative Article In Toronto Sun

dholki

Toronto Sun is a conservative tabloid that caters to the uneducated trash, what in the UK you refer to as "chavs" if anything leaving comments will actually make them think the article is successful as they're getting "hits" on their site, they like to have racist, controversial articles, Tarek Fatah is a bigotted anti-Sikh, however anyone writing for that paper is hardly a journalist and has no integrity whatsoever.

not only toronto star....but cbc.ca is on the same track.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/03/28/pol-sikh-parliament-hill-milewski.html

the thing is these two parties are the part of canadian media ........but the popular punjabi radio talkies / punjbai media in GTA who have their own shows

telecasted every Saturday whole day from morning till midnight and on air everyday didn't mention a word about this struggle.....it seems like they have been told not to disclose any information about the real situation......which is a shame on their part.............

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi

Sikhs reputation in canada got deeply affected after air india bombing

On the other hand, Hinduism is the most positively viewed religion after Christianity in Canada, according to the survey.

When the respondents were asked whether they thought that "the mainstream beliefs" of the major religions "encourage violence or are mostly peaceful," only 10 per cent said Christianity taught violence.

On the other hand, 45 per cent said Islam stood for violence and hatred. Nearly 26 per cent viewed Sikhism as promoting violence.

http://twocircles.net/2009apr23/canadians_view_hinduism_positively_not_islam_and_sikhism.html

I did write last week didn't I, about the unbelievably high level of anti-Sikh hatred in Canadian society. I wrote here, how I had spent the good part of a week trying to explain the facts to people but was met with disgusting hatred of all sikhs by all sections of society. The worst thing of all I found, was that whilst the rest of the worldwide Sikhs were united....there were many Canadian Sikhs of the younger generation that were bending over backwards to please society by criticising the Sikhs. I think someone needs to do some research into the dynamics of Canada and its relationship with the Sikhs. Something, somewhere, is going very wrong. I have my own theories...which remain, of course, simply personal opinions rather than hard facts....but I'm increasingly getting the feeling that in Canada, Sikhi and its political goals, is seen as the preserve of the older generation. The younger generation, when they do partake in Sikh rights, only seem to be able to do so if the event is in some way tied in to a mainstream non-sikhi event such as drag car racing or hip hop bhangra jamborees. Really very different to the way in which the younger generation of Sikhs in places such as England, Italy and Punjab were at the forefront of protest.

Like I said, the internal dynamics of Canada mean the Sikh struggle has taken a different form there. Whilst the rest of us can focus all our attention and energy fighting that hate that comes from India, our Canadian cousins have to fight the even more negative hate that is coming from Canadian society and media.

I wrote this up but don't want to post it with any ID linking to me. If anyone wants to, feel free to post it on my behalf under any name.

Perhaps you should take a look at the Senior Advocate Mr. Colin Gonsalves's work and stance on this matter, he is a highly respected Indian advocate who has been rewarded on his work in the Indian judiciary and respects Bhai Rajoana as a spiritual being and points out how the fake democratic leaders were themselves breaking laws by killing countless innocent youth in Punjab. You should be ashamed of yourself for writing such an ignorant article neglecting the fact that Punjab was lawless and the laws were broken by Beant Sin. He and KPS Gill raped, tortured and terrorized countless innocent Sikh families. Later they abducted, tortured, and killed Jaswant Singh Khalara for his civil / human rights work that revealed the countless (10s of thousands) illegal body cremations of innocent Sikhs killed under the rule of KPS Gill and Beant Sin. This is why he was killed. Just like the American revolution, when your basic freedoms and human rights are stripped of you, it is just defend yourself.

[/left]

You, of all people shouldn't try to sensationalize a story just to try to get sympathy from white folks who don't know what is going on in Punjab. It's a sad day when someone's jameer (conscious) dies off, whether the person is a Sikh, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, or Hindu.

[/left]

Canadian Sangat has a lot of work to do. In the past after the air india incident Indian government sent a good sum of money to Canadian media via various outlets to sway opinion against Sikhs and they continue to do so today.

Don't get emotional and learn to play their game, that's the main thing. Play it and learn to tell YOUR story, not their version of your story + their agenda.

To make it clear, air india incident wasn't done by Sikhs, it was done by the indian government to swift global sympathy AWAY from Sikhs. In Canada they have partially succeeded, but they won't in the long run anywhere if we unite as one Panth. All we need is unity and love.

Harjot Oberoi, a Hindu who has infiltrated Sikh Societies and organisation in Canada from a long while ago is one of the main reasons for this misunderstanding in Canada. Ask any Sikh member (and I say Sikh member) on this forum. They will tell you all the damage Harjot Oberoi has been doing to the Sikh religion, Sikh history, and subsequently its opinion by the rest of the world, and especially Canada.

He has always had other people dressed up as Sikhs helping him in Canada all along. The damage this man has done to Sikhi is immense and some may say even irreversible.

After he went to Jawaharlal Nehru University (Indra Gandhi's Dad's University) in Delhi in 1976 he has never looked back in his war against the Sikhs through infiltration in Canada!

Just type in Harjot Oberoi and anti-Sikh in google and see how many articles you get.

There are other clowns like Oberoi in Canada, but Oberoi is the biggest Circus Act of all !

Protesting in india and huge outrage for this case was must, since dynamics and history of sikhs and contributions of sikhs in india are intertwined with fabric shape of india/also how laws of supreme court only applies to minorities not those who in power (sajjan kumar/tyler) local people need to be aware . Protesting in India was extremely helpful and bought positive result bought video evidence of police brutality.

However, protesting in foreign countries of this particular case its an suicide of good image of sikhs world wide (as unfortunate event of collateral damage of 16 other innocent lives were lost) cannot be separated.

First of all, protests of this case at least in Canada, have back fired miserably (see article and comments in the article from wider public), gee what were we thinking when collateral damage of this case is attached to all over this case - positive coverage? especially when western media doesnt understand or has intention to understand punjab history?, they are at fault partially, other half, we as sikh community are at fault - failed to see bigger picture.

All sangat abroad should have gathered in gurdwara would rather should have listen to bir ras kirtan or dhadi varan instead rather protesting of this particular case in outside parliament and attract media attention.

Now speaking on wider subject- sikh protesting infront of these corporation type gov't and UN- its waste of time

If 30 different self immolations(peace shown in drastic manner) of tibetans buddhist monks near UN across the globe, couldn't have any effect on big corporation gov't (USA, CANADA, UK) relations with China, then what makes us think we could have any effect- carrying placards/banners infront of greedy corporate type gov't??

Now are we that naive to assume countries like- US, CANADA, UK do not know human rights violations happening in INDIA, CHINA, RUSSIA. They know all that, they just don't care- passing statement from time to time of human rights violations its all strategy of proxy war happening between these countries on high level, it be extremely naive to think they genuinely care.

Just picture yourself as representing big pool of corporations name- USA, CANADA OR UK, if during business dealing with India which happens every day, small group in india brings human rights issue to plate, are we really naive to think- big corporations will kill their business dealing with India by putting pressure on India.

When I wear evil googles of big corporation working out business deal with India and see small group of people protesting be it - kashmiri, sikhs, muslims, christians- i only see tribal group are bickering and i ignore them or pass small universal "human rights statement" hoping these tribal groups go away.

What have we became?

Beggars, Herds of cattle sheeps getting whipped right,left and center?

I cannot believe we turned from lion giving calculated response (from guru maharaj time to bandai khalsa to tat khalsa to baba bir singh ji naurangabad to baba maharaj singh time to sant jarnail singh bhindranwale time) to bunch of whinners/beggars/herds of sheeps keeping going (protesting) in front of capitalist corporations and media- which simply don't give a hoots about tribal groups(all minorities suffering) and its issue (sadly put) when there is 'business as usual at stake' with India, China or any other evil country which abuses human rights.

We need to go back to the basics- parchar, parchar and more parchar in gurdwaras.

However, if we must protest we need to clearly - win a public opinion of locals - look its smart to learn from your mistakes but its wise to learn from other group mistakes- when tamils blocked gardner express (main highway leading to toronto downtown), they lost lot of public opinion as normal people were highly inconvenient by traffic jams etc. yes they were able to get opposition leader passed an statement- just an statement and dust was settle highway was unblocked, again there is no point of protesting at parliament (canada/usa/uk) if there is no political will of gov't remove human rights violations of culprit gov't to remove human rights violation... we need to look at overall picture, at the end of day- we are only seen as tribal group(not just us- tamils,tibetans, all small miniorities- all) infront of corporate gov't an hindrance for their business dealing suitation of sikhs abroad have became like a dog waging its tail where dog master give an small bone hoping it goes away (just passed an statement) and dog is satisfied and dog then go back home.

We need to step back and use our resources else where learn from other small minorities - tibetan, tamils, kashmiri's what things they have tried- what bought positive results/maximum impact but what things failed. If you want to protest or expose human rights abuses to westerners, again you have to use the medium which has gained credibility and have won public opnion, clearly we have not, so its best lobby and fund wide projects like- WIKILEAKS. We are perceived as tribal group with tribal issues, always fighting by wider public in canada but if same human rights abuses in india were shared by WIKILEAKS then all of sudden it wins public opnion and is credible. We need to use our resources widely and effectively..i beleive lobbying and funding wikileaks would be great start because it exposes all human rights abuses everywhere including sikhs in punjab, thats what khalsa ideals all about- universal- Nanak Naam Chardi-Kalah Teria bhaine sarbat da bhalla. Sorry thats my opinion and i apologize if my post come across harsh.