Negative Article In Toronto Sun

dholki

At this moment at UN headquaters in NY, there are dozen minorities groups all protesting against their gov't and against human right abuses. From time to time, some UN officals equivalent to baseball side kick water boy comes along and meet these groups take their demand list and goes back in UN, never comes back with status or any improvement. Fact of matter is UN have became laughling stock, what makes us think they can be helpful to us- they can't even sort themselves- always flip flopping- at day speaking against countries who commit human rights violation and at night - sleeping with them.

Trust me guys- at the end of day for corporate countries like - US, CANADA, UK, EU its all business as usual, business at stake, business number one priority, business transaction between trans national, global countries, everything else is last.

I will end my ranting with gurbani bachan from asa ki... also quoted by sant jarnail singh bhindranwale in his speeches: I don't know the exact quote in gurbani - don't want to make mistakes but it says- You have do the karaj yourself- all within law /legal frame work of the country we living in (off course)

At this moment at UN headquaters in NY, there are dozen minorities groups all protesting against their gov't and against human right abuses. From time to time, some UN officals equivalent to baseball side kick water boy comes along and meet these groups take their demand list and goes back in UN, never comes back with status or any improvement. Fact of matter is UN have became laughling stock, what makes us think they can be helpful to us- they can't even sort themselves- always flip flopping- at day speaking against countries who commit human rights violation and at night - sleeping with them.

Trust me guys- at the end of day for corporate countries like - US, CANADA, UK, EU its all business as usual, business at stake, business number one priority, business transaction between trans national, global countries, everything else is last.

I will end my ranting with gurbani bachan from asa ki... also quoted by sant jarnail singh bhindranwale in his speeches: I don't know the exact quote in gurbani - don't want to make mistakes but it says- You have do the karaj yourself.

That's true, at the end of the day we have to educate ourselves to the reality and not assume that if we tell our story that others will automatically give us justice. We aren't victims, we're the Khalsa and we should empower ourselves to be able to protect our Panth both physically and psychologically.

The radio tower Sant Jarnail Singh Ji and the Sikhs of the time is similar to the struggle we face, but now we have the opportunity to make our way as many SIkhs are abroad and have the resources and freedoms to take it on.

Sadly the above is what it boils down to. There are many, many minority communities, such as Sikhs, in various places of unrest and dispute around the world who are suffering at the hands of an oppressive government. Nobody with the power to do anything cares because such communities (and we) cannot provide anything in return for the assistance from the likes of the U.S., UK, etc. We cannot "grease their gears" and as such we are left at the mercy of the Indian government who are free to malign and slander our cause as best they see fit.

It is only in rare cases where there is such an unflinching and dedicated desire for change on the part of an individual such as the case in Burma with Aung San Suu Kyi that the West eventually sits up and notices, and that is usually because the struggle is mostly (or entirely) peaceful. You see, the West doesn't like the oppressed to fight back against it's oppressors - however justified - as then it becomes morally ambiguous to support the cause of the oppressed if they themselves are using violence to defend themselves. If those under the cosh are seen to be physically combatting those who seek to destroy them, the West feels it will have to answer some pretty uncomfortable questions about supporting violent uprisings, etc. It likes the meek to remain meek even if it eventually causes their destruction as it means the West can gravely shake its head and wring its hands in sadness at the tragedy and injustice of it all.

The writing is on the wall for Sikhs: Nobody will come to our aid from the West. Awareness can be raised but nothing beyond this sentiment will happen that will alleviate our suffering.

Sikhs will have to unite but this is impossible because:

1) There are too many different factions and groups with varying interests, be they theological, ideological and political. Nobody is willing to forgo their own interests - even for a moment - for the benefit of the long-term greater good because it would mean losing face and "betraying" (from the perspective of their followers) their own particular faction and lessening its reputation and importance in the eyes of its ideological forebears.

2) Sikhs have been infiltrated from front to end by those who seek to destroy us. The religious, political and social spheres of our people and our faith have been utterly exposed and we simply cannot judge who is working against us and who is actually trying to assist us.

3) We are own worst enemy: Even those who aren't dyed in the wool "agents" of the other side still leave a lot to be desired. You cannot rely on the support of another as you do not know at which point the supposed friend will desert you or betray you for their own momentary gain. We are easily bought and this is our biggest fault.

So what then? I don't know. My mind tries to claw at some religious / spiritual solution but I have a terrible feeling that will not be forthcoming, or at least not in the way some of us are hoping. What I am sure is that it will take a concerted effort over many DECADES from those of us in positions of relative detachment and comfort in order to bring about change. Political change? Impossible. Its a dirty game that foreigners will never be able to play (nevermind win) because the population - on which we will have to place our hopes on to bring about this widespread change in dynamic - are fickle and notoriously unreliable in matters of faith, politics and general existence (apologies if anyone is offended).

I cannot see any solution but for the widely derided hermetic point of view of self-improvement through religious adherence, and then hope enough of us follow this path that the Almighty will take pity on us and actively force the agenda and we will all somehow be swept along by the unstoppable currents of progress and change. It's a long shot but its the only solution I can see which doesn't rely on putting our faith in the morally and intellectually degenerate habits and desires of Man. This seems defeatist even to me but from past history it seems like the only fail-safe method available to Sikhs.

There is of course the way of the sword, but we are too few in number - and most importantly if last week is any indication, unprofessional and unskilled in our strategies - to achieve victory through force.

Forgive me for any miswritten words and sentiments.

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi

Sadly the above is what it boils down to. There are many, many minority communities, such as Sikhs, in various places of unrest and dispute around the world who are suffering at the hands of an oppressive government....

naaah ! ur right ! I think your and mine thinking pattern in synchronized !

Protesting in india and huge outrage for this case was must, since dynamics and history of sikhs and contributions of sikhs in india are intertwined with fabric shape of india/also how laws of supreme court only applies to minorities not those who in power (sajjan kumar/tyler) local people need to be aware . Protesting in India was extremely helpful and bought positive result bought video evidence of police brutality.

I have no idea why others here are saying they agree with you. I disagree 110%.

If we Italian Sikhs wern't on the streets demonstrating the Mial based media would not have come down and done a piece on the evening news about us....and the wider Italian public would have remained none the wiser about the human rights abuses of Sikhs.

If we Englandian Sikhs hadn't been out on the streets demonstrating the fomer, and soon to be again, Mayor of London wouldn't have been forced to make public announcements in support of the Sikhs.

If we hadn't been out on the streets protesting, Margaret Beckett, the elder statesperson of British politics...the British version of Madeline Albright....a former foreign secretary who still commands influence and respect in the corridors of power in both washington and Brussels.......would not have issued a press statement in favour of the Sikhs.

By being out on the streets the wider public knowledge of Indian atrocities against sikhs has increased by at least 1000% in the space of a week.

So....those of you saying you agree with N30 Singh, remind me again......why exactly are you thinking its a good idea to keep our heads down and keep quiet ?

@ West London Singh - But what has this awareness lead to? Has it been brought up in the Houses of Parliament? Has the PM been made to condemn the actions of the Indian government and death sentences (in terms of the action taken by the Punjab administration if we're assuming directives came from Delhi) during PMQs? Its just empty words and political opportunism. No Western politician will look over the parapets and take the risk of speaking up actively and vehemently for the Sikh cause, as much as they would, for example, for instances like Libya, etc. Like I said, our cause and our means are too morally ambiguous for them to justify and fit into a nice little box which makes sense and meets all the criteria of 'Victim' status.

Awareness is great. Acting on awareness and actually giving a jot is even better.

why exactly are you thinking its a good idea to keep our heads down and keep quiet ?

While i appreciate your activism singh, no one is urging keep our heads down and keep quiet. We are just simply suggesting to shift the focus and look at the bigger picture-

- First and foremost priority we need to focus parchar(both punjabi and english) in gurdwaras for our young generation- parchar of bhagti, shakti and activism, instead of protesting infront of corporate type gov't.

We need to work on internal unity first - bring all the brains together and be on the same page thats a must..just compare sikh activism now days with tibetan activism or other oppressed miniority groups , you will see big gap. We lack any organization structure abroad.

- Second thing which we already doing which is great- youtube awareness of human right abuses against sikhs (full credit goes to sikh youth for this one). We need to keep continuing doing this, capitalize on it - member of ss bought very interesting idea of renaming all the human right abuses against sikhs in india to "Indian Tourism" and re-upload them on youtube so it comes up under search results. Not only youtube, lets go further keep capitalizing on manipulating google search results by renaming your blog or already established well known website, name your personal blogs to indian tourism showing human right abuses in hope to win public opinion.

- Third - Study, Study and more study other minorities group who are systematic marginalize/oppressed across the globe - what they have done, what bought maximum impact (changing public opnion/change on oppressed gov't policies), what clearly failed - As i said earlier, its smart to learn from your mistakes but its wise to learn from other people mistakes.

- Fourth- As Sikh community, donate and lobby as whole platform of Wikileaks, this is quite important, they already have base and have genuine aim to expose human right abuses all over globe including sikhs.

Fifth - Have Public relations/Media relations department both in punjab and abroad appointed by sri akaal takth sahib to realease statement for damage control and condemnation of anything which is against sikh ideals i.e- collateral damage, fascist speech etc

Sixth- Urgue Sri Akaal Takth Sahib to have its own channel and have influence in media (very important)

Seventh- Be proficient in online political war/cyber journalism - did you know cyber protest/online political activism turned to be more effective than holding placards in some segregated area near embassy or gov't building?

Eight - Get high influential people i.e- hollywood stars/ex politician to support our cause (just see how many hits human rights abuse in sudan nuba mountains got on google after george clooney arrest in sudan embassy in washigton).

Nine- Infiltrate fascist shiv sena groups which teaches hatred in india and abroad hindu rss/shiv shena type student society which teaches hatred. If they can do it, why can't we as long as its within law and no privacy laws are broken? - May be i m watching too many spy movies..lol.. i don't know if they can do it seamlessly and why can't our monae brothers?

Tenth- Learn Shastar vidya (get off your arse from computer chair - it applies to me first) not only to defend mob attacks happening against us. This also to preserve the art.

Eleventh- Build relationship with Canadian First nation people...let normal public see sikhs suitation through native suitation, best way of relating and winning public opinion in Canada...again this is not to please european settlers but normal public, we should also approach other minorities in canada who are oppressed- all have common greif and common goal to stop human right abuses at home.

Twelfth- Whatever you do , stay within law of country you live, don't break the law. We don't live in monarch society where laws are not defined, laws are clearly defined in today's society- stay within law, legal frame work.

Its not sikhs being attacked in canadian media its the khalistan movement cause of air india bombing which makes the khalistan movement look like al quida

What makes khalistanis such easy targets is air india and all the khalistanis who call bagri malik parmar heros