Why Do Sikh Men Wear Turbans And Not The Women?

Guest Studying Religion

Guest Guest

Majority of women do not see simple is beautiful. Sikh Women are no different than that of a muslim or Hindu. Then there is the weakness how do I make my husband happy. No all women are self-suffcient in practising any religion.

Guest Chief Guest

Beauty is all very well at first sight; but who looks at it when it has been in the house three days ?

ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਗੁਣੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਮਣੀਆ ਮੰਤੁ ॥

What is that word, what is that virtue, and what is

that magic mantra?

ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਵੇਸੋ ਹਉ ਕਰੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਵਸਿ ਆਵੈ ਕੰਤੁ ॥੧੨੬

What are those clothes, which I can wear to captivate

my Husband Lord? ||126||

ਨਿਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਖਵਣੁ ਗੁਣੁ ਜਿਹਬਾ ਮਣੀਆ ਮੰਤੁ ॥

Humility is the word, forgiveness is the virtue, and

sweet speech is the magic mantra.

ਏ ਤ੍ਰੈ ਭੈਣੇ ਵੇਸ ਕਰਿ ਤਾਂ ਵਸਿ ਆਵੀ ਕੰਤੁ ॥੧੨੭॥

Wear these three robes, O sister, and you will

captivate your Husband Lord. ||127||

Guest Siaye

And to add - a Turban looks good esspecially on Sikh women - this isn´t a empty phrase- I asked several non - sikh people , like friends etc.. worthy person - they all replied like this . I asked them to tell me full truth - Y there were a few as well - who said that it doesn´t look good - but majority said its beautiful - some non sikh-women - even said I would like to wear a turban - but due to my heretic

I can´t take the responsiblity, It is a sign of huge self condfidence(trust in Guru) and responsibility.

Guest Guest 1

Hello _Kaal_, hello all,

thanks a lot for your post, very interesting.

I observed, tha women are wearing a diffent style of turban than men.

What I wanted to know, can a woman wear the the same style as a man and

why is the woman's style different?

Thanks a lot

• 2 years later...

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

The below does not imply any particular Sikh group is correct or incorrect. However, it is provided for a more complete picture.

Just as an addition - Taksal Maryada mentions that the Hukam for all Sikhs is to wear a turban.

3.10.1. Kesh – Unshorn Hair

From your head down to your toes all hair is to be kept unshorn and your hair is to be tied and complemented with a turban,

…ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਿਰਾ॥

"…complete form is with turban donned."SGGSJ Ang 1084

For the respect of your hair, two turbans are to be tied, tying each layer one at a time. There should be a small turban tied underneath and a larger one tied above this. Women must not plait their hair and should keep their hair tied in a bun/top-knot, in order to respect your Kesh a small turban should be tied. Keski is not a kakkar (one of the five K’s).

ਇਹੈ ਮੋਰ ਆਗਿਆ ਸੁਨਹੁ ਹੇ ਪਿਆਰੇ ॥

ਬਿਨਾ ਸ਼ਸਤਰ ਕੇਸੰ ਦਿਵੋਂ ਨ ਦਿਦਾਰੇ ॥

"Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee says, listen to this command oh beloved,

This is the essential pre-requisite to attain my darshan.

Without arms and kesh I will not give you darshan."

http://www.damdamitaksaal.org/code-of-conduct#h3-10-1-kesh-unshorn-hair - not that there is no exemption for women under this Maryada to not wear a Dastaar.

Also, the Mastuana Mahapurakhs also encouraged Sikh women to wear Dastaars, as is demonstrated by their students at Baru Sahib Academy.

Guest tuhinirankar

reasons women dont wear a turban

-the place they were baptised into sikhism didnt tell them they have to and said they must just cover their head and keep hair unshorn.

women have choice we do believe in equality and it is believed that back in the time of the Sikh Gurus women did wear turbans most likely time of 10th Guru when Amrit ceremony was intiated.

due to attacks on sikhism by muslims women would not wear turban so ppl wouldnt be able to distinguish they r sikh so as to stay undercover

but Guru Gobind singh ji wanted his sikhs sons and daughters to wear turban and stand out. as we r defenders of faith 9th Guru gave life for Hindu religion to showcase we believe in freedom of religion and fight tyranny.

i hope that helped

in the head whos ever heart is pure is closer to God. the turban helps concentrate neat way to keep hair tied and clean