How To Reduce 20 Pounds In Few Weeks?

S1ngh

Diet, diet and diet singh jee. Diet is about 75% of the effort and exercise the remaining. A few pointers.

- eat 5 meals per day, eating every 3-4 hours. This will feel tough initially but the trick is to have smaller meals so that you will be hungry in 3 hours or so

- lots of water, 3-4 litres per day

- exercise of course, if you already exercise then consider adding HIIT style training once a week

If you are already eating decent and exercising, post your diet here. Perhaps there is room for improvement.

lol... i will wait when 20 gbp = 20 usd ;)

---

i went on strict 1500 calorie/day for about few weeks but didn't notice any change.

sample of my daily diet is simple:

Morning: Nothing

Rarely a cup of coffee with 3 spoons sugar. Milk in our house is always 100% fat free.

Afternoon/Pre-Evening.. Big lunch

If outside then i get a meal deal from subway - footlong flatbread with regular cheese and sprinkled cheese toasted with veegies + 1 1/2 regular cup of either dr. pepper or diet coke + chips and very rare i also get a half a personal size pizza few hrs later (also from subway). If taco bell then it will be 2 seven layer burrito (no sour cream) + Bean burrito. If home then i will at least have 6 chapatis or 3 frozen garlic naan with homemade saabji/daal..

Late night.. Medium size

Not actual full meal but something frozen or sometime home made pizza.

Rest of the day..

i used to drink a lot of soda but glad to cut down that part almost to 0 few weeks ago.. however sometime i bring diet sodas or coke zero etc.. Drinks homemade coffee at least three times (mostly cold - milk, lots of sugar and nestle coffee). I do take a good intake of shake couple times in a week which got about 8 gram of sugar but full of protein/vitamins/minerals and other stuff.. will post a picture of the box.

Me and wife we both work and are full time students.. we travel a lot putting 3 hours min. a day on road (four times a week).. So we do eat a lot from outside or get frozen food from trader joe store for quick meal at home later on.

I rarely drink juice.. but when i do then it is odwalla carrot juice and we never use ghee or butter at all (except cases of guests coming over)..

Exercise? None at all.. once vice-captain of high school soccer team and played almost all sports.. now i am just inactive lol..

I was:

152 when i graduated high school

168 when i got married in five yrs ago

185 when i spent 3 months in india and after 2 years of marriage

205 is now final weight for the past two years (give or take few pounds)

On my last trip to India, i got really sick for a week.. my weight dropped 20 pounds. :blink2:

My brother followed this diet: http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/ and he lost about 5 to 10 pounds after a month of strict YUCKY diet. I tried to drink but i just couldn't do that lol..

I was looking at those commercial ready made diet meals but my instinct is saying that they are just rip-off.. don't know..

Hanji.

Right off the bat I can say that your diet needs overhaul

Morning: Nothing

Rarely a cup of coffee with 3 spoons sugar. Milk in our house is always 100% fat free.

It's a really bad idea to skip breakfast. Your body has been starving for 8+ hours, that first meal of the day really is the most important one. Consider buying fruits and have plenty of those as you drive to work in the morning.
Afternoon/Pre-Evening.. Big lunch
You are not kidding when you say it's a big lunch. Let's do some calculations here to figure out how many calories you are ingesting for lunch
footlong flatbread with regular cheese and sprinkled cheese toasted with veegies + 1 1/2 regular cup of either dr. pepper or diet coke + chips and very rare i also get a half a personal size pizza few hrs later (also from subway)

- 6 inch veggie delite is 230 calories. x2 = 460 calories

- diet coke or pepper = 150 calories

- personal pizza with cheese = 680 calories

TOTAL = 1290 calories

If taco bell then it will be 2 seven layer burrito (no sour cream) + Bean burrito

using nutrition information from Taco Bell website.

1 7-layer = 510 calories. x2 = 1020 calories

+

1 bean burrito = 370 calories

TOTAL = 1390 calories

If the high number of calories is not concerning to you, consider that both are very high in salt.

If home then i will at least have 6 chapatis or 3 frozen garlic naan with homemade saabji/daal
It extremely tough to figure out how many calories this will be. But I would say it since it fills your stomach and you eat ~1400 calories when eating outside for lunch, this meal at home will likely have similar number of calories.

As per Health Canada, for sedentary individuals between 19-30, 2500 calories should be consumed. Do keep in mind that this is on top of the recommendation of eating healthy calories full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains etc.

http://www.hc-sc.gc....e/1_1_1-eng.php

So right there, your lunch takes up 55% of your daily calorie consumption. That is too many calories for one meal, especially considering that we are likely going to be doing a lot of sitting through out the day.

1500 calories/day just seems too restrictive. Something like this, if done long term, will likely damage one's metabolism. I think I have written about how low calorie diets are bad for you in the past somewhere. Will post it here if I find it.

First thing I would recommend is that you start incorporating regular exercise along with the other things I mentioned in my previous post. It is always better to increase activity than cut calories. As far as exercise is concerned, start with walking 30-60 mins, 3 days a week. Do this for a couple of weeks and then we can revisit this.

Stay away from those commercial diets, if they do work, they are too expensive. I have a carb cycling diet that I have used twice and achieved very good results without breaking the bank. I can post that later, but first lets get you moving :)

Thanks for awesome replies.. As now suggested by two members to eat frequently instead of doing traditional 3times a day meal..

bad-boxing-diet.png

good-boxing-diet.png

So, strictly putting focus on calorie intake of 2400 cals/day... will that help in decreasing weight or will it keep the current weight at stable point?

Most of the time i am skipping breakfast is because of the work i am doing with the startup company.. they have crazy hours.. sometime i am off @ 10ish pm or 5am..So the breakfast point is that i eat a lot whenever i am up to start a new day regardless whether it is noon or 7am?

Regarding exercise.. if i do 5 miles hike once a week or bi-weekly.. hike is moderately tough/steep trek and usually takes about 3 hours.. Will that be enough exercise? (i really hate walking or using treadmill as i find it extremely boring :blush2: )

Forget about fat free, not fat free. That is not important. What is important is that you get good fats like the ones in milk, eggs, etc. cut out sugar, that is important.

Next is something that is very, very difficult for all Indians in general to do, and that is to cut back on carbs. Indian foods are heavy in carbs (roti, chawal, etc.) the fat you have comes from excess carbs. Get rid of a lot of carbs, and that will help a lot. Besides that, do what oh twadi says.

And eat clean. A good option is a "paleo diet", one that in which you only eat food that early humans would have eaten, i.e, lots of berries, nuts, and fruits. That is very beneficial

But first priority is excercise. The excercise you are doing now is good, but it would be much better if you did excercise every day, for an hour. You can walk outside instead of the treadmill. Best possible option HIIT, that is designed to melt fat in relatively short workouts. Look into a training program called "Insanity" it ridiculously difficult, but If your diet is good, you will easily lose the weight you want to.

Get a boxing jump rope and follow the 6 meal diet. Good luck!

Some gym shoes and running on the track may be good as well. Maybe a mile a day or so? Main thing is you don't want to over stress your body into an injury, do as much as you think your body can do. Consistency is the main thing.