The Story Of The Turban - Showing On Bbc One, Thursday 12Th April @ 11.20Pm

SikhiStore

Funnily enough I think those Sikhs who do wish to represent the Sikh population for P.R. purposes in terms of clarifying Sikh issues to the media, etc., are probably scared off by the jathebandis and associated politics.

Not everyone has the stomach to withstand slander, especially from the very people who you wish to help! I suppose a lot of good Sikhs who aren't affiliated to one group or the other have been dissuaded from following this kind of path because they simply don't want the hassle.

They are loads of intelligent articulate sikhs, professionals who excel in their own fields whether its law, international law, medicine, history politics, business, finance etc. They understand the art of communication and how to play the media game and win people. But you will see lots of these type of people have either tried and failed or have known close friends who have fallen victim. Who wants to face the slander and the internal politics.

Look at what happended at those emergency meetings that took place in Southall and France a couple of weeks ago. They start of with good intentions and there are some knowedgebale people there. But then you get our khalistani leaders who cant wait to have a dig at some other jathebandi and then it disintegrates into chaos. Is this all we have learnt in the last 27 yrs.

You are 100% right the jathebandia are the modern day dera's who have got big gurdwara's behind them and can fill a couple of coaches to take to a rally. But once we are there we fail to convey our message because the leaders we put in front of the cameras dont have a clue.

A prime example is the Sikh Council UK which was started with good intentions as a supreme body to be the voice of the UK sikhs. Unfortunately it has just become another voice for the Sikh Federation.

An example of the calibre of people we need are the likes of Dr Gurnam Singh, Harinder Singh (SIKHRI), Dr Sukhpreet Singh Udhoke who are young, knowledgeble and can debate a point in a calm constructive manner. (Before I get the haters let me clarify I gave those names as examples as everyone is familar with them, I may not agree with all their beliefs that was not the point of using their names).

Please dont twist this topic into a anti-SIKHRI or anti-Udhoke debate.

They are loads of intelligent articulate sikhs, professionals who excel in their own fields whether its law, international law, medicine, history politics, business, finance etc. They understand the art of communication and how to play the media game and win people. But you will see lots of these type of people have either tried and failed or have known close friends who have fallen victim. Who wants to face the slander and the internal politics.

Look at what happended at those emergency meetings that took place in Southall and France a couple of weeks ago. They start of with good intentions and there are some knowedgebale people there. But then you get our khalistani leaders who cant wait to have a dig at some other jathebandi and then it disintegrates into chaos. Is this all we have learnt in the last 27 yrs.

You are 100% right the jathebandia are the modern day dera's who have got big gurdwara's behind them and can fill a couple of coaches to take to a rally. But once we are there we fail to convey our message because the leaders we put in front of the cameras dont have a clue.

A prime example is the Sikh Council UK which was started with good intentions as a supreme body to be the voice of the UK sikhs. Unfortunately it has just become another voice for the Sikh Federation.

An example of the calibre of people we need are the likes of Dr Gurnam Singh, Harinder Singh (SIKHRI), Dr Sukhpreet Singh Udhoke who are young, knowledgeble and can debate a point in a calm constructive manner. (Before I get the haters let me clarify I gave those names as examples as everyone is familar with them, I may not agree with all their beliefs that was not the point of using their names).

Please dont twist this topic into a anti-SIKHRI or anti-Udhoke debate.

Inaccurate analysis regarding the Sikh Council. The are many areas that the Sikh Council addresses that the Federation doesnt take a lead role in and others where the Federation takes the leading role and the Sikh Council takes a back seat. Campaigning for an independent Sikh homeland and tackling human rights abuses are the niche and forte of the Federation whereas Sikh Council is a collective of jathebandian and communities representing the broad cross section of the Sikh community so that collective campaigning and collective decision making can take place regarding issues that affect all Sikhs, regardless of political affiliation or jathebandi, ie wearing of kirpans in schools.

Just because the Sikh federation is a highly active and vocal organisation that organises its own campaigns does not mean that the Sikh council is puppet of the Federation by any stretch. This is a very inaccurate and somewhat mischievous statement to make. If you need clarification for this then go and ask the head representatives of AKJ, Ramgharia community, Bhatra community and Ravidassia community to see if they are fully involved and represented in the Sikh Council or not. Do you think that these same groups would whole-heartedly support an openly Khalistani organisation such as the Federation? I think not.

The Sikh Council and Federation work together and alongside each other, and on pivotal issues, the Federation forms one of the associated member jathebandia that makes up the Sikh Council, ie part of the UK Sikh panth.

I hope that is clear.