Why Are So Many Moderate Sikhs Against Khalistan

hgsingh

Well the common thing is coz they dont understand the following things (in my crappy opinion):

1)Panjab/Sikhs were/was/is of a seperate country before british annexed it (and we wud like it back)

2)They dont understand the lies told 2 sikhs by nehru/gandhi, and how sikhs cudda had khalistan in 47', but were sold out by "our" leaders

3)They dont understand panjab has been bullied and discriminated since 47'

4)They dont know that Indian Govt was planning 2 invade Harmandir Sahib TWO yrs b4 it happened, n jus think that bhindrawale was a "terrorist" coz he had weapons inside there (So did Guru Hargobind)!

5)They think it wont survive, coz it doesnt have coastal/sea ports (NEITHER DID MAHARAJA RANJIT SINGH, IDIOTS), but there r various khalistan maps drawn up (look below)

6)THIS IS FUNNIEST ONE - It WONT have a military 2 cope with pakistans invasion! LOL!! i aint even gonna go here, such is the dumb nature of the question! (But read the statement below)

http://storerooom.wo...e-mighty-sikhs/

7)They think ALL non believers (hindus/christians/muslims) will be removed from our lands! When in history (apart from partition) did we EVER EVER ethincally cleanse ppl out of our hoods'?

8) Khalistan wud be poor economically coz india will "refuse" 2 trade with us?!? Well 400m ppl in india live below poverty line, is it me, or wud khalistan (with its beautiful food producin lands) actually call the shots on the price, not its starvin neighbours

http://www.sikhiwiki...f_Khalistan.jpg - This is the most likely Map of khalistan (Panjab/haryana/Himachal/Northern parts rajastan)

http://republicofkha...RONT%20copy.jpg - This is one that i like, but unlikely (includes jammu/gang doab?/western Gujarat/Rajastan)

(I apologise if i dont come across intellectual, im jus a person whos still learning)

Ummm ... those maps of Khalistan are completely unrealistic

How could a state formed on the basis of Sikh sovereignty encompass a region where Sikhs make up 20-30 % of the population? That's what your "most likely" map would suggest. The other map is even more laughable.

Maharaja Ranjit Singh's empire was far more vast than any potential Khalistan would be. If Khalistan does become a reality, its border would essentially be the Indian state of Punjab. It would be a tiny, tiny country with all sorts of limitations.

I'm gonna be quite honest with you all here, hand on my heart I would have to say that the most die-hard supporters of Khalistan I have met are actually monas with hair cuts. Many of these people have unbelievable pride in the nation of Punjab...they are an inspiration. Even myself, although I have no trouble identifying myself as a Khalistani, have to say that I would prefer our independent nation simply be called 'Punjab'.

As for the people the OP call's 'moderates'. From my experience the one common reason most of them seem to give me whenever we discuss the matter is : "Punjab is landlocked" "it ain't got no sea port" "how can a country without a sea-port survive?"

I can only take it that these people have spent way too much time watching titanic and old films about the navy, and not enough time researching whether or not such countries actually exist. Apparently, according to the 'moderates', the following list is an entirely made up list of fictional countries :

Austria, Belarus, Czech Republic, Ethiopia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Leitchenstein, Luxemburg, Mongolia, Moldovia, Nepal, Niger, Paraguay, Rawanda, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Uganda, Uzbekistan etc etc.

The geography of the average 'moderate' obviously does not extend any further than Ibiza or the the Cosa Blanca

You are right that a lot of monas are hardcore Khalistan supporters.

I think it's great that they have some sense of religious/national pride. But I must admit that it really pisses me off on many levels.

If they feel so strongly about Khalistan, they should grow out their hair. They want political autonomy for their religion while simultaneously contributing to the religion's death.

If they were in Delhi in November 1984, nothing would have happened to them. If I saw them on the street, I'd assume they were Hindus. If they feel so proud, why are they afraid to show who they are? It just really baffles me.

While the Darbar Sahib being invaded in 1984 was horrible, what's FAR more troubling to me is the fact that if you go to a random village in Punjab today you will have difficulty finding a man under the age of 50 with his kesh intact. That image is far more damning to me than an image of the destroyed Akal Takht. Buildings have been destroyed and rebuilt before. But walking around Punjab struggling to see any non-trimming young sardars, I can't help but feel "this is the image that really captures the irreversible damage that's been done".

If Khalistan does become a reality, its border would essentially be the Indian state of Punjab. It would be a tiny, tiny country with all sorts of limitations.

Thats your American head talking there. Everything's 'gotta be so big in Texas'. Nah but seriously bruvs, for us Europeans the size and population of an independent Punjab would be considered on the medium to large side in terms of independent nations.

With the inevitable break up of Belgium within the next 10 years and the fall-out from that : i.e a breakaway of Barcelona and the rest of Catalonia from Spain...and with the domino effect in motion the Basques from both France and Spain....which in turn will leave Canada morally unable to reject Quebec's claims for the same etc.....There is nothing to suggest that this wind of change will not reach the sub-continent.

Every half century or so the world witnesses a short period in which new nations are created. Those that study politics and are aware of international developments know that such a period is just around the corner.

Thats your American head talking there. Everything's 'gotta be so big in Texas'. Nah but seriously bruvs, for us Europeans the size and population of an independent Punjab would be considered on the medium to large side in terms of independent nations.

With the inevitable break up of Belgium within the next 10 years and the fall-out from that : i.e a breakaway of Barcelona and the rest of Catalonia from Spain...and with the domino effect in motion the Basques from both France and Spain....which in turn will leave Canada morally unable to reject Quebec's claims for the same etc.....There is nothing to suggest that this wind of change will not reach the sub-continent.

Every half century or so the world witnesses a short period in which new nations are created. Those that study politics and are aware of international developments know that such a period is just around the corner.

Fair enough, but there would still be some issues and it's important to have a realistic view of just how big/small the country would be.

I just wanted to point out how ridiculous a lot of these potential maps of Khalistan are. Our Sikh state is going to have a population that 70% Hindu? Really?

How about lack of leadership? We cant even run our own gurdwaras, how will we run a country. Our current Sikh politicians are the most corrupt, who will we follow?

Alot of our issues in India and in the diaspora are actually a result of exactly what you've said...leadership. But that leadership can only come from our Sri Akhal Takht Sahib. So for me...as long as our Jathedaars are not soveriegn and are 'controlled' by external forces then we'll always have issues whether it be getting Khalistan or Khalsa Raaj.

First and foremost...we need to free our Sri Akhal Takht Sahib as it's under seige!!!

Alot of our issues in India and in the diaspora are actually a result of exactly what you've said...leadership. But that leadership can only come from our Sri Akhal Takht Sahib. So for me...as long as our Jathedaars are not soveriegn and are 'controlled' by external forces then we'll always have issues whether it be getting Khalistan or Khalsa Raaj.

First and foremost...we need to free our Sri Akhal Takht Sahib as it's under seige!!!

I totally disagree with this. In this day and age, the Akal Takhat Jathedar must be diplomatic, mature and peaceful. A Jathedar that actively campaigned for Khalistan would be a disaster for the Kaum. The Sikhs paid a heavy price and Punjab suffered tremendously during the last Khalistan morcha.

At present, times are relatively peaceful. Now is the time to re-group and grow stronger. For that we primarily need peace and stability.

You allege that the jathedar is a puppet (probably of Badal) but it is very easy to make these sort of claims. After all, many claimed that Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale was just a puppet of the congress. Me personally, I dont really care, even if he is a puppet... if he makes mature, rational and peace promoting decisions than I will support them. If he tries rabble rousing and stirring up peoples passions then he shouldnt be in that position. Sikhs are a very volatile and explosive community at the best of times and need calming down most of the time more than anything else.

Also, the decisions need to reflect the cross-section of beliefs and views in the Panth and not just the views of one group or jathebandi. If any maryada should be promoted more, then it should be the Akal Takhat Maryada itself.

By making the claim that the Akal Takhat is under seige and that the Jathedar is a puppet, it sounds more like you or your group dont support the jathedar and the Akal Takhat because he doesnt reflect your jathebandi, therefore you want change. Nihangs always harp on about how the true Jathedar must come from the Buddha Dal, Taksalis want a Jathedar with Taksali views and implements a Taksali maryada etc... it is impossible to keep everybody happy. What is required is diplomacy and fairness so that all views are listened to and taken on board.

However, the best leadership quality that a present Jathedar can offer in this day and age is the enforcement of peace. Without peace, panthic development cannot take place. If Panthic development never takes place, then there will NEVER be a Sikh homeland.

First I want to clarify what some people call sikhs mona sikhs is disgrace to sikhi there r only gursikhs ,secondly who discard seal of Guru THE KESH r called Sirgums these r those those sikhs who borns in sikh families discards kesh and those who discards kesh after taking the Amrit r PATIT,Sirgums r banished from sikhi by Guru Gobind Singhji who r classified along with Kurimarr,Narimar or sikhs taking tobacco ,,,,dhirmayis etc. Anyone having social relations with them r excluded from sikhi,Sirgum word was used by guru Nanak Dev ji.Snapati who has seen the times of guru ji has written this in guru shoba.The socalled Khalistanis should follow the REhat.As per socalled moderate sikhs r concerned Guru ji has described the hindus who just to appease the ruling class for benefits used to take kutha meat and used to present their women as coverup marriages to ruling classes (the muslims) as slaves.The moderate sikhs r just like those slaves who were doing the same things these sikhs despite being keshadharis go to Mandirs just like badals, perform festivals of hindus like Akalis in Ramlila samitis in punjab,perform jagratas same things were performed by hindus when muslims were the ruling class.Even socalled moderate sikhs never mind giving their women to hindus now who r ruling class and call themselves as liberal sikhs.Real sikhs r like Sant Jarnail Singh,baba Manochal.Sukh dev singh ji,husan singh ji,gurjant singh ji can be regarded as true sikhs.During gurwara movement Kartar Singh ji buchar was the true sikh