Two High Profile Events Coming Up

This is an absolute heartache for Panthic-minded Gursikhs. Why are our Sikh "leaders" so willing to readily compromise on Sikhi principles, just so that they get to hob-nob with the Prime Minister? Sikh Council UK members are also there - surely they must be held to account?

What a load of nonsense this thread is.

Sounds like sour grapes from Sikhs who were not invited to the event lol. What you guys dont seem to realise is that this was a Vaisakhi celebration event not a protest march. It was organised by Downing Street after much persuasion by the Sikh community and this is only the second event running. To have it hijacked into a Panthic Morcha would jeapordise future events from taking place. Sikh Council UK, United Sikhs and other key individuals have already been talking and negotiating with top politicans about the Rajoana case etc. This was not the time or the place.

The majority of those that came to the event were 'moderate' Sikhs from the business community. However, there were also representatives from Sledgley Street Gurdwara, Bhai Mohinder Singh was there, and others such as Lord Inderjit Singh and Dr. Rai.

Sikh Council UK advised Downing Street that such an event should be alcohol free and vegetarian. Indeed, I saw no alcohol there but I saw lots of people drinking apple juice from wine glasses.

Regarding the point about Kesari Dastaars, again another totally ridiculous point. It was a celebratory event for the purposes of networking and developing relationships with Downing Street, not a protest march nor a religious event. Who gave the order that everyone should be wearing Kesari Dastaars and why? Most of the people that went down came straight from work so it would be totally impractical. Incidentally, there were members of the Sikh Federation present and they also opted not to wear Kesari Dastaars either, so where does that leave you?

This is a highly mischievous thread and I question the motives of those who have started it. Most likely it is sour grapes as they were not invited to the event?

We also had a similar issue here in Leicester. There is a large annual event organised by a self appointed Sikh leader in conjunction with the county council called the “Guru Nanak Annual Lecture 2011”. A few of our members heard of the event and decided to go listen to the lecture. And surprise surprise, the first thing they are offered when they walk in was alcohol. The so called Sikh leader even came up to them after the lecture and said “come on boys let’s have a glassy”.

We have since been in touch with the county council, the councils main inter-faith body and the self appointed Sikh leader to ensure that this kind of practice does not take place again within any event (associated to the Sikh faith) organised by the council. They have agreed.

The truth of the matter is that the self appointed Sikh leader was only able to establish his position as the mainstream Sikh institutions had left an empty vacuum when it came to local council and government bodies engagement. If we leave vacuums, then unscrupulous characters will fill them.

Sikh Council UK advised Downing Street that such an event should be alcohol free and vegetarian. Indeed, I saw no alcohol there but I saw lots of people drinking apple juice from wine glasses.

I have just had it confirmed to me that there was alcohol at the event and there were complaints lodged on the day about this.

I have just had it confirmed to me that there was alcohol at the event and there were complaints lodged on the day about this.

Well I didnt see any. And if there was, then it was not because of the negligence the Sikh Council or any group because Downing Street was made well aware of this:

Dear Steve,

My name is ****** , you very kindly sent me an invitation for Mondays Vaisakhi event at 10 Downing Street. I have been liaising with ****** MP for Wolverhampton reference some concerns that were raised at last years events and he requested I also speak to yourself. There are two main concerns:

1. The Vaisakhi event is to celebrate the formation of the Khalsa (initiation ceremony for baptise Sikhs) in April 1699. The drinking of alcohol is prohibiting for Sikhs especially for the baptised, it would therefore be inappropriate to serve alcohol at the event especially as it is to celebrate Vaisakhi.

2. Baptised Sikhs wear the Kirpan as an article of faith and are never separated from them, last year there was a delay of up to an hour because of security concerns. Please could you inform security of this event so that last year’s experienced is not repeated.

I apologise for the late contact but as I said above I was only asked this morning to contact you this afternoon by ***** MP. Please email me or contact me on the number below.

Kind Regards

However, if alcohol was served and complaints have been lodged, then fine, the Sikh Council and other groups should also echo the complaints. However, what is not helpful is questioning the motives and the integrity of those that attended the event.

Our leaders tip-toe around British politicians. That's all it is. No-one's willing to make a stand for Sikhi asools. That's why Bhai Rajoana is such an inspiration for ordinary Sikhs.

Panth First, Self-Interest Second. These are the type of leaders we need.

Rubbish. Classic Indian leg pulling. Sikh leaders in the Uk have devoted a life time to sewa for the Panth and are doing their best. It is easy to move ones mouth than to actually get off ones back side and do something.

Bhai Rajoana is an inspirational fighting Singh for what he did to Beant and the sacrifice he made but he is not a leader. Sure he has charisma and has caught the popular imagination. But that is not how leaders are made and it is not how leaders are selected. Leaders require leadership qualities and Rajoana does not have them. Its easy to raise slogans from your prison cell and walk around with a big chest and curled up moustache. If you think those are leadership qualities, then you really are on a different planet.

You guys will follow blindly anyone who talks fighting talk and do not appreciate the intricacies of Panthic Affairs. Instead you get excited and passionate over words like revolution without fully understanding what this means and what is involved. Earlier you were dictating to the Uk leaders that they must give money to the womansing and human trafficking Baba Daduwal from India lol. First it was Daduwal, and now it is Rajoana. The total lack of thought and intellect is quite scary. No wonder the 'moderate' Sikh majority think that you lot are all nutters and no wonder the elders think you are a liability and dont want to engage with such an unstable and volatile group of people.

Support the UK Sikh leaders and stop trying to pull them down. They were dealing with Panthic issues before you even entered your mother's womb. You should have some respect for their experience and intellect. Trying to engage independently in hot-headed youth led projects is no good for the Panth!