Four Of The 5 Pyaaray Were Not Punjabi

Thanks 10th regiment ... yep if every1 of us keep telling every1 else we know ... 1day non-Sikhs (most importantly) will truly get Vasakhi is about + what it means ... instead of all this party-vibe atmosphere ... that apne youth being encouraged to down a beer or some drug to "celebrate"

This emerging trend is, to be frank, beginning to pee me off big-time. Our youngsters thinking our holiest days are a reason to party and down alcohol. I can see a time in the future when even Guru Nanak Dev Ji's Gurpurab will have idiotic "Sikhs" thinking it's okay to celebrate with a drink, much like people do at Christmas.

Vaisakhi Parties??!!? Now unless everyone gathered together at this "party" is about to take Amrit ( :biggrin2: ), I really don't want to know what happens at these so-called Vaisakhi Parties.

Of course you'll get the odd smart-ar5e saying "I'm not celebrating the Sikh festival - I'm celebrating the Punjabi harvest" but they know what the score is. They're just taking the mick.

Look, Hindus, Muslims, Indian-Christians can celebrate the harvest all they want. I'm very, very happy for them to celebrate the harvest but Sikhs who think they can forgo the religious significance of this day and join the secular celebrations as a reason to get plastered need to get their heads looked at.

It's strange UKLondonSikh, but up until the age of 10 I only ever knew of Vaisakhi defined in terms of the Panj Pyaare, Amrit di daat, etc. That was all that particular date of April 13th meant to me. It was only as I got older did I learn about the crop being taken in and the cultural aspects of the occasion back home. But by then Vaisakhi was entrenched as a religious event in my mind and hopefully that's how it remains.

If Sikh kids are told what Vaisakhi is before the TV channels and the wayward relatives get their claws into them, nothing else matters IMO. The child will always revere Vaisakhi for it's religious significance before anything else.

BTW before anyone asks, my upbringing was not suffocating or anything like that. I wasn't indoctrinated by my parents; in-fact they were very hands-off and allowed me to discover and learn by myself. The only times they ever talked to me in detail about religion was when I approached them. It was never "This is what happened in history, this is what you must do..". Maybe that's why I still hold the religion in high regard because I kinda discovered the intricacies of the faith myself without being force-fed everything?

True Paji + i think it very much depends on family ... perhaps your family were more religious than others families back then where the dad is having a glassy to celebrate this harvest nonsense ... what it leads on to ... is how mentoring of (particularly) Sehajdhari youth (in a non-judgemental way by Gursikhs) is critical. Obviously mentors would not be restricted to Gursikhs anyway of course. As far as I heard it from Giani i respect ... no point "celebrating" a harvest festival when others on this planet going hungry ...

Agree with this. Gursikhs who have the seva of educating Sikhs about the faith really need to be magnanimous when educating non-Gursikhs. People these days are very touchy and impatient, and if they feel they are being criticised or judged (even with justification at times) they will ignore even wise words and turn against the message-giver.

Definitely Paji (kaljugi) mentoring is something we need to make compulsory at our Gurdwara like on N30S1NGH 's "Dream Gurdwara" thread. Influencing youngsters straying off the tracks in a non-judgemental way without excessive expectation of them becoming Amritdhari will really move us forward. I think that if we realise that true Amritdhari qualities can only really be exhibited in the top 1% at best ... then we will realise why only 5 Gursikhs stood up out of a sangat of fifty thousand. The key ingredient for a greater Amritdhari population who match the qualities of having a heart "overflowing with love" (and to stand out in a crowd) that Guru Gobind Singh Ji expected of them ... is a greater pool of Sehajdhari brothers and sisters that believe in the basics. We can hardly expect any Khalsay in countries like Iraq overnight, can we? But the Panj Pyaaray's individual backgrounds as 80% non-Punjabi's prove (despite the Sangat in 1699 congregating in Punjab which on paper ought to have perhaps meant a greater percentage of Punjabi's amongst the beloved five) that Sikhi is a universal message and that with the suffering going on globally at present ... we need a new Khalsa Fauj for this day + age to be re-activated under the auspices of the UN.

Well, no. In this day and age if you really want to enter into prachaar and vichaar seva for the benefit of Sikhi you will WANT to take amrit, in terms of not being called out for being a hypocrite - which many, many people are quick to do. But I do feel that once you begin on that particular path the pull of taking Amrit is irresistible.

It will show committment and dedication. If not, then what exactly are you (the educator) wishing people will learn if he / she hasn't taken that step themselves? Let's not get the Khalsa Fauj confused with a general, all-encompassing "Sikh Fauj" of which every Sikh - keshdhari or not - should feel they belong to. The Khalsa Fauj will always be the benchmark and something to aspire to.

To bypass and dismiss Gursikhi just because it isn't truly present within everyone who takes Amrit defeats the whole purpose of being a baptised Sikh. In that case nobody should ever bother taking Amrit because not many will ever live up to the ideals a Gursikh should subscribe to! That's clearly not the way to go.