Smoking

Guest LIFE

wjkk wjkf

hi, urmmm im about 18yrs old and in college... when i get stressed out i feel the need to smoke, i know that it is really bad but i cnt help it.. i ahvent smoken for a while but i always get a familiar feeling when i am either stressed or sometimes if i get depressed... how do i stop this? i have anger problems that sometimes make me want to smoke

help

WJKK WJKF

wjkk wjkf

hi, urmmm im about 18yrs old and in college... when i get stressed out i feel the need to smoke, i know that it is really bad but i cnt help it.. i ahvent smoken for a while but i always get a familiar feeling when i am either stressed or sometimes if i get depressed... how do i stop this? i have anger problems that sometimes make me want to smoke

help

WJKK WJKF

You need to engage in Gurbani practises to save you from:

ਪਾਨ ਸੁਪਾਰੀ ਖਾਤੀਆ ਮੁਖਿ ਬੀੜੀਆ ਲਾਈਆ

पान सुपारी खातीआ मुखि बीड़ीआ लाईआ ॥

Pān supārī kẖāṯī▫ā mukẖ bīṛī▫ā lā▫ī▫ā.

ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕਦੇ ਚੇਤਿਓ ਜਮਿ ਪਕੜਿ ਚਲਾਈਆ ॥੧੩॥

Har har kaḏe na cẖeṯi▫o jam pakaṛ cẖalā▫ī▫ā. ||13||

but do not contemplate the Lord, Har, Har - the Messenger of Death will seize them and take them away. ||13||

What beautiful about VaheGurus game is that there is one fix for everything, i mean everything, you dont need to do certain things to tackle certain problems.

Guru Shaibs have said, that in the sangat of the Sadhs the a Crow like mind (full of sin) can slowly be transformed too a Swan which is a full of Devi Guns (clean mind frame, without anger lust pride and so on)

All one needs to do is Simir (meditate) this is the weapon that we have been given by guru shaib to tackle the Punj Choor which corrupt our minds in to feeling anger lust pride and so on.

So 1st step is to do ardas to Sat Guru to help with stopping Smoking.

2nd. Start waking before you go to collage and do 15-30 mins simran, really the amount we should be doing to really stave off attacks from Kaal is 4-5 hours a day.

3rd when you feeling anger do simran and concentrate on that sound Vaheguru

sravanee suneeai rasanaa gaaeeai hiradhai dhiaaeeai soee |

Hear with your ears, and sing with your tongue, and meditate within your Mind on Him.

4th Try go to the gurdwara and find sangat that are following this path, this maybe harder than it sounds, due to youngsters not always knowing what to do them selfs, you just have to try and test the friendships and see if there on the path. If not then do seva in the langar as you will usually find people with love for Vaheguru here.

But out of these things the action which will help in this world and the other is Simran, so try do about a hour a day.

ਸਚੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਸਚੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਹੈ ਜਾ ਸਚਿ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੁ

When you love the Truth, your words are true; they reflect the True Word of the Shabad.

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਨਿ ਵਸੈ ਹਉਮੈ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਨਿਵਾਰਿ

The Name of the Lord dwells within the mind; egotism and anger are wiped away.

ਮਨਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਤਾ ਪਾਏ ਮੋਖ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥੨॥

Meditating on the Naam with a pure mind, the Door of Liberation is found. ||2||

As long as we love falsehood Naam will take longer to sink into our mind. The last line explains that when our mind is pure (from paap and Mayl) Naam will easily sink in and anger and egotism will leave us. So you need to be patient and make a daily routine of Naam and Gurbani for yourself.

Gurbani explains here that in order to love Truth, which is Naam, we have to sing praises of Naam and this make us love Naam/Vaheguru –

ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗੁ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਗਾਇਆ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਨਾਮੁ ॥੧੩॥

Love for the Lord wells up deep within, singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord's Name. ||13||

Since Sukhmani Sahib emphasises Praise of Naam, we should therefore sing that bani. You do not have to do akhand paaths of Sukhmani Sahib, but at least a few astpadees and jap Naam straight after and then go back to Sukhmani Sahib. You need to practice this every evening, Amritvela and whenever else you have time. Once the Naam is enshrined in our mind or even coming to that stage or towards we wont care about false desires and anger will vanish. Instead, compassion, truth and peace will fill our mind.

Another thing you can do is read sakhia of Guru Sahib and Gursikhs such as Baba Deep Singh, Banda Singh Bahadur etc. Also, I recommend you read Se Kineyaa (Baba Harnam Singh RampurKhera Walay) and Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh’s autobiography, Rangle Sajjan, Saachkhand Darshan, Anhad Shabad, Unditti Duniya etc.

You need to focus on a life of Sikhi/Gurmat and understand the seriousness of this life. We cannot rely on Maya to satisfy and give our mind peace it instead destroys our mind, even worse it does not end with that one paap/sin, it carries on and on. We should not live in this world as if it is eternal because it is not. What if you smoked and suddenly died in the same day or the next. Gurbani explains how we regret in the world hereafter for not loving Vaheguru while we were alive, so we need to make all the effort we can now -

ਸੁਣਿ ਮਨ ਮਿਤ੍ਰ ਪਿਆਰਿਆ ਮਿਲੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਹੈ ਏਹ

Listen, O my mind, my friend, my darling: now is the time to meet the Lord.

ਜਬ ਲਗੁ ਜੋਬਨਿ ਸਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਤਬ ਲਗੁ ਇਹੁ ਤਨੁ ਦੇਹ

As long as there is youth and breath, give this body to Him.

ਬਿਨੁ ਗੁਣ ਕਾਮਿ ਆਵਈ ਢਹਿ ਢੇਰੀ ਤਨੁ ਖੇਹ ॥੧॥

Without virtue, it is useless; the body shall crumble into a pile of dust. ||1||

ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ ਲੈ ਲਾਹਾ ਘਰਿ ਜਾਹਿ

O my mind, earn the profit, before you return home.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਸਲਾਹੀਐ ਹਉਮੈ ਨਿਵਰੀ ਭਾਹਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ

The Gurmukh praises the Naam, and the fire of egotism is extinguished. ||1||Pause||

no dont smoke, dont be naughty boy or girl.

NO ELECTRONIC CIGZ EITHER. you are not presently smoking cigarettes, so you should not consider any alternative that mimick cigarettes either.

You only want to smoke to relieve the stress, which can be relieved in other ways, such as yoga, breathing exercises,

You need to learn to relax. Relaxation, although at the time may seem difficult to achieve is a big key towards achieving this. It causes a changing of the Alpha and Beta brain patterns by using functions that involve concentration, centering and focus. If you are under a lot of pressure, or if you're ill, maybe possibly travelling a lot, or unduly worried about something, you may notice that you are not functioning as you would normally do.

Relaxation can help considerably. Take a moment to relax. Stress is most damaging if it is continually on going. Even if you can get only just a few moments of relaxation it can help to alleviate the situation considerably.

Don't be afraid to talk to your GP if you experience stress-related symptoms such as:

Dizzy spells. Severe headaches. Chronic back or neck pain. Racing pulse. Anxiety. Depression

The doc will be able to help you with ur anger problem. dont by embarassed or shy of going to the doctor, they are there to help, and they wont think bad of you whatever your problem, as all information is treated confidential.

Also start doing simran, it is very therapeutical. or if u want listen to shabads that will help you to relax.

Close your eyes and sit in a quiet place and listen to: