Wearing A Kirpan

ok, so i want to take amrit but theres a problem. i want to go to school and do p.e (sports), but my kirpan will be seen by my classmates and p.e teachers and i'm not telling anyone i'm wearing a kirpan. so, can i do an ardaas before school and leave it at home on p.e days and wear a small kirpan around my neck?

Guest RavindaSingh

Bhaji i think firstly you should discuss this matter with your head of school or faculty for them to understand the kirpan being worn in class. You should really have the kirpan on you all the time however if they will not accept you to do this i believe you could possibly do what you said or just skip the lesson ?

Guest RavindaSingh

i don't want to ask incase my school says no, i just want to take amrit, without hassle. i mean waheguru must undrstand that i want to take amrit and he must understand that i will have trouble wearing a kirpan in this one lesson. :|

In that case personally i would either skip the lesson but then again it is YOUR choice aslong as you have your kirpan concealed at all times and the gatra isnt too long so it hangs out your good dont worry bro if someone says something then explain the reasons for wearing a kirpan all will work out fine :)

Singh there is a legal documentation online which allows us to wear kirpan in public places. Maybe someone can post it?

Discuss with your school head why you will be wearing kirpan etc and gt your parents to be present when this happens so perhaps get your parents to call school to arrange meeting with head? It should be ok.

well thing is amrit sanchaars on saturday gives me a day to speak to them, i decided late was bit of wierd experiance that lead me to want to take amrit but.... i'd rather take it without telling the school as they might take a long time talking to govners and stuff, and i asked some of my friends would your parents feel comfortable with me wearing a kirpan and some said no. so, parents might object and so i might not be able to wear the kirpan and it will take a lot of time

VJKK VJKF Bro

I like you have took amrit and is in high school (in uk) and i just wore a 3 inch kirpan, with a adjustable gatra right, and in my p.e uniform u could wear a jumper over it so thats what i done not jumper, jacket sorry, and these are the Legal standing off the Sri sahib in detail ( PERSONAL MESSAGE ME FOR MORE INFO BRO!) :)

LEGALITY

In India (Legal)

Article 25 of the Indian Constitution deems the carrying of ‘kirpan’ to be included in the profession of the Sikh religion[1], thus legalizing the carrying of kirpan by Sikhs.

In the United Kingdom (Legal)

It is legal under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (section 139) and Offensive Weapons Act 1996 (section 3 and 4) for a Sikh to carry a kirpan with a blade for religious reasons (other reasons allowed by the Act are cultural or work related reasons). The Criminal Justice Act 1988 safeguards the rights of the Sikhs to carry the Kirpan as it is deemed a necessary part of their religion.

In the USA (Legal)

There have been several court cases in the USA relating to the legality of wearing a kirpan in public places. Courts in New York and Ohio have ruled that banning the wearing of a kirpan is unconstitutional.[2] In recent years the Sikh practice of wearing a kirpan has caused problems for security personnel at airports and other checkpoints. Security personnel may confiscate kirpans if they feel it is necessary, but are advised to treat them with respect.[3]

In Canada (Legal)

In most public places in Canada a Sikh religious Kirpan is allowed but there some places where it is not clear cut. In the 2006 Supreme Court of Canada decision of Multani v. Commission scolaire Marguerite‑Bourgeoys the court held that the banning of the kirpan in a school environment is against Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms as a reasonable accommodation. The issue started when a 12 year old student dropped a 20 cm (8 inches) long kirpan in school. School staff and parents were very concerned, and the student was required to attend school under police supervision until the court decision was reached.

In Sweden (Legal Conditional)

Swedish law has a ban on “street weapons” in public places that also includes knives unless used for hobby (for instance fishing) or profession (for instance a carpenter). Knives considered harmless, like a pocket knife, are allowed so a dull kirpan is allowed.[4][5]

In Denmark

On October 24, 2006, the Eastern High Court of Denmark upheld the earlier ruling of the Copenhagen City Court by which wearing of Kirpan by a Sikh was declared illegal. By this Denmark has become the first country in the World to pass such a ruling. Ripudaman Singh, who now works as a Scientist, was earlier convicted by the City Court for violating the Danish Weapons Law for publicly carrying a knife. He was fined 3000 Danish Kroner or an alternate imprisonment of 6 days. Though the High Court quashed this sentence, it maintained that the carrying of Kirpan by a Sikh is in violation of the Danish Weapons Law. The judgment stated, After all the information about the accused, the reason for the accused to possess a knife and the other circumstances of the case, such exceptional extenuating circumstances are found, that the punishment should be dropped, cf. Penal Code § 83, 2nd period.

Danish Weapons Law allows carrying of knives in public places if it is for fishing, hunting, sports or any other purpose recognized as valid. The High Court did not find religion as being a valid reason for carrying kirpan. It stated that, For these reasons, as stated by the City Court, it is agreed that the circumstance of the accused carrying the knife as a Sikh, cannot be regarded as a similarly recognisable purpose, included in the decision for the exceptions in weapon law § 4, par. 1, 1st period, second part.

European Law

The Sikhs right to wear a Kirpan is protected by Article 9 of the European Convention on Human Rights on freedom of religion.