~ Humbleness And Wearing Jewelry~

N30S1NGH

Here is Taksal views on jewellery taken from damdamitaksaal.org:

All the initiates are to have their beards flowing and not tied up in anyway. Their turbans are to have been tied one layer at a time (not placed on their heads like a hat). The turban is to be saffron, blue, black or white. The male initiates should not be wearing trousers/pyjama, watches or any jewellery. The female initiates are not to have any jewellery on their hands, in their ears/nose and their hair is to be in a bun/top knot and not in plaits, they should maintain this simplicity of dress and attire for the rest of their lives.

Singhs/Singhni’s are not to wear rings, ear-rings and other jewellery, Satguru Jee says:

Guru Jee says your jewellery is Naam, Which will be of assistance at your time of death."

(SGGSJ Ang 375)

In the next world only the jewellery of Naam is of assistance, worldly jewellery is of no avail.

The bride is not to wear any jewellery and make-up. Bindi and the wearing of sarees is not allowed

The male initiates should not be wearing trousers/pyjama, watches or any jewellery. The female initiates are not to have any jewellery on their hands, in their ears/nose

As per Rehit of Damdami Taksal jewellery is strictly prohibited.

I do not understand this point about Sikh Royalty. It does not matter whether you are a king or a dishwasher, Rehit is same for all. No worldy king can change Guru Sahib's Rehit. Their is only one king dhan sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

Quote:

gurmat does not dictate nor it meant to dictate nitty-gritty daily kriya of an sikh things like- a) put left leg or right leg into new kachera b) putting kirpan right or left shoulder c) length of dastar d) use sand to clean yourself e) how to clean your sarbloh batta f) how to sharpen your shastar g) positioning of chand tora or khanda in dastar h) when to smile when not to smile i) specific attitudes towards monaey, other amritdharis than from your clan etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc..hopefully you will get the point.

Taksal Rehit states:

The Kashera is never to leave your body completely i.e. stepping out of it with both your legs. After doing Ishnaan, one half of the wet Kashera is to be removed from one leg and a dry clean Kashera is to be put on that leg, and similarly for the other leg. If the Kashera does leave the body by accident, then you are to approach "Five Singhs" who will do Ardas for you and give you a punishment. If the Kangha, Kirpan and Kara leave the body you can do an Ardas yourself, but if the Kashera leaves the body only "Five Singhs" can do the Ardas. The Kashera is never to be changed whilst your head is uncovered.

There is a lot of "black and white" in Gurmat. Rehit is black and white, Rehit creates the foundation for the Gursikh, with a solid foundation a Gursikh can reach higher levels of spirituality. It is not right to right to question Rehit like this, many Gursikhs such as Sant Gurbachan Singh ji and bhai Randhir Singh ji were very strict in regards to Rehit. We cannot fully comprehend the Rehit of Guru Sahib but Rehit is essential for a Gursikh. Following Rehit to the max does not mean one comprises on thier spirituality infact if one follows Rehit to the maximum their spirituality, anand, rass etc will only increase.

I am kurbaan to those that follow Guru Sahib's Rehit such as sarbloh, bana, bibek etc Dhan are those Gursikhs!

I just wanted to point my take on rehat, its on that thread- people can read it to seek clarification-

http://www.sikhsanga...post__p__533992

I think at this point both sides have put their argument. It's bit redundant and counter productive for me to repeat (especially my first and last post prior to this one). If person reads this thread in totality and read the discussion in context, they will understand the point not necessarily agree or disagree but just simply understand, which bhai sahib harbhajan singh yogi and i managed (vahiguroo kirpa) tried to make. Also, surely the way points are made needs improvement..will keep striving for improvement so it does not come across as hurtful/koraie shabad and cause disunity within sikhs.

During my research i.e- listening to gurbani/gurmat katha's of various diverse sikh sants of various different natures (daanie, divaine, mastane). I came to conclusion - sri guru nanak dev ji have a huge garden with different unique flowers, branches which co-exist, have co-existed, will co-exist despite of any attempts to destroy it( unity is in diversity), and they all have spread the fragrance of diversity all leading back to the root of Naam. Despite having difference of opinions and being unique and different flower in the garden/different school of thoughts, despite of which side of gurmat coin your surti resides. Despite of all that, we all must go back to naam simran.

Naam is which bind us all together just like how mala beads are in binded in one thread.

I think most of us can agree - times running out, each second which passes away without jap of vahiguroo is wasted and we are all guilty of it one way or another (off course including me).

After all this human form life is only our chance to meet gobind-

Gobind milan ki eh teri bariya ||

I will retire from this thread now. Hopefully, one day if maharaj does kirpa will retire from everything which is causing hindrance to naam simran.

In the current climate, the asar (effect) of maya and panj chor is very strong. It is incorrect to believe we can reach a spiritual avastha (state)which allows us to wear expensive/flashy clothes and ignore/disregard certain Rehits. Infact it is more important than ever to strive and obey all the Bachan's (instructions) of Guru Sahib that we can. These Rehits of Guru Sahib will protect us from the Panj Chor (5 thieves) which is vitally important for spiritual progress.

Wearing jewellery, make-up, expensive/flashy clothing etc could increase haume (ego) and attack from the panj chor. Why give panj chor the chance to steal your spiritual kamai (savings)? We must strive to keep our bank accounts safe and the best way to this is to maintain Rehit.

Sufi mat is different from Gurmat. If some Sufi's believe that sharia ie Rehit can be discarded after certain spiritual state then that is their thinking however Gurmat does not endorse this concept. Rehit is to be kept from Amrit Chakk (initiation) until death. (Also I believe it is only the minority of Muslims, mostly Sufi's, that believe in the concept of discarding sharia after attaining certain level. The majority of Shia and Sunni Muslims believe in following Sharia strictly until death.)

May Guru Sahib bless this insect with his Rehit and his Naam. Satguru Mehar Karan.

The Rehat is saying no trousers during Amrit Sanchar.

Okay thanks for the clarification. But you can understand my surprise. The 'trousers' statement was mentioned alongside the jewellery rehat and I thought they were referring to every-day life and not a specific situation such as an Amrit Sanchar.

• 1 month later...

N30 Paji i totally appreciate your point regarding not seeing everything as "black and white". I totally agree with that. But I don't have any belief in the concept of wearing jewellery as it actively conflicts with humility. I don't wear any jewellery for that reason I was educated about. But I'm not yet humble enough to be a Khalsa unlike others.

However, the point made regarding the wearing of jewellery in an apparently humble way by normal folks for reasons to do with royalty doesn't stand up to scrutiny imho. Royalty itself is a very false concept. And Sikhi teaches us that those gareeb loki who wear the poorest clothes and live the most humble lives in material terms are the True Royalty ... whereas jokers like the various Royal Monarchs across the globe with the most glittering and expensive jewellery are invariably the lowest of the low. That's why there is debate about the representation of our Guru's being inaccurate on occasion pictorially.