Introduction To Vairaag Shatak....rajah Bharthari

Thanks so much Mokham Singh for great seva and your above post. Just to expand on Mokham Singh post. Here is damdami taksal syllabus to learn old traditional sikhi:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/67189-lack-of-bhramvidya-in-the-panth/page-1

In order to be gyani in Sikh Theology and have understanding of gurbani you need to have through understanding of nine granths before hand.. The nine granths are

Chanaka Raajneeti
Sarkutavali
Bhavrasamrit
Vichar Mala
Vairag Shatak
Parbodh Chandar Natak
Adhiatam Parkash
Birti Parbhakar
Vichar Sagar

These are only taught in Bhindra now all this vidiya has not existed at Mehta since Sant Jarnail Singh Ji stopped teching during the Dharam Yudh Morcha. Thse granths are needed as the basis to understand gurbani then further work can be done by learning the Vedant Paribhasha, Upnishads, Moksh Panth Parkash, Adhyatam Parkash, etc

Only after these are studied should you start on the gazals of bhai nand lal and the works of Bhai Gurdas Ji.

Giani Harbhajan Singh Ji Dhudhike Wale and Baba Hari Singh Ji Randhawe Wale are possibly the best ustaads at the moment for all these granths as many of the other ustaads have only worked up to vichar sagar and not even heard of the birti parbhakar.

They are taught before you start any gurbani, they are your foundation to understanding gurbani, they dont effect the arths but are the foundations fr it. They are your early schooling. It is the same as if you ever wanted to do a degree you need your years of schooling before to understand the details to something like astronominal aeronuticals or quantam gravity physics. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the most difficult of any granth as it is easy to read but the meanings are an endless ocean and without the necessary pre education you cant fully comprehend the teachings in either Gurbani or Ithaas.

Chanak Raajneeti was written around 2000 years ago
Sarkutavali was written by Pandit hardayal who was linked to Guru Amardas Ji's lineage
Bhavrasamrit was by Pandit Gulab Singh Nirmala
Vichar Mala by Anath Das Udasi
Vairag Shatak by Bharthari who was one of the Sidhs who met Sri Guru NanakDev Ji
Parbodh Chandar Natak by Pandit Gulab Singh Nirmala
Adhiatam Parkash by Pandit Sukhdev Singh Nirmala
Birti Parbhakar by Pandit Nischal Das
Vichar Sagar by Pandit Nischal Das

The under lying message in Vairaag Shatak is Vairaag {renunciation}; Gurbani stresses the importance of Vairaag, in order to break free from Kaam/krodh/lobh/moh/ahankar.

What made India a nation of cowards, was not Vairaag; the thing that made India a nation of sub-servients, was spiritual corruption, the attachment to materialism, and the distancing of folk from self discipline.

This Granth teaches one the importance of Vairaag, and the need for self discipline etc. Rajah Bharthari used physical renunciation; becoming a beggar, in essence.

Gurmat teaches us to work for a living; to help the needy too, in a charitable manner.

The bottom line is VAIRAAG; if it can be learned from this Granth, there is no harm.

Anything that distances us from Kaam/krodh/lobh/moh/ahankar, is definitely worth reading.....

Waheguru....

Mr Mohkam Singh Ji ,

WJKK WJKF , I can feel from your expressions that you are feeling agitated by my POV , yo clarify my position first , I am not that young as you have thought me to be , i am in late fifties , second certain points I have raised about are Supremacy of Gurbani for Khalsa , Second counter the points raised by Veer Tuhintuhin , icertainly not want to disrespect anybodty but alongwith what may main point is - the treatises of other faith cannot be compared with the wrirtings of Samkali Singhs of Guru sahiban and the later Singhs . For comparative & critical study every body should read the books (for this reason only the Guru sahib himself sent singhs to kashi - the Nirmala Singhs , even I have spent my childhood at aNirmal Ashram studying the Gurmat , study of Vedangas , and at later Stage of Life studied western thought too , yet at the stage where I am nearing Sixties , My faith in SGGS is as sound as it was in teens

I never meant to insult any body , if you felt that way , my aplogies

FATEH

Thanks so much Mokham Singh for great seva and your above post. Just to expand on Mokham Singh post. Here is damdami taksal syllabus to learn old traditional sikhi:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/67189-lack-of-bhramvidya-in-the-panth/page-1

Mr whoever , you are not getting my pov , Bharthari who wrote this book existed 1500 years before Guru nanak Dev ji - THAT IS HISTORY

why do you mean naths are a parasite to society? from what I know they are similar to siddhas who made great contributions to society eg invention and innovation of music, medicine, literature. Even Gorakh naths teachings where influencial in Punjab for the better.

No idea why every body is so much advocating for Naths.if post of JP singh to be followed .even einstein has made contribution to society,should we learn sikh traditions &theology from him too?Why being singhs we should as much try to put our feet on 2 boats.My family & we are 2nd gen Sikhs ,if same things are being seen here to(following brahmins,naths n following to their whims) why you ppl are reverting to brahmanvad.there is ample treasure of knowledge in SGGS please try to find iut .we do not need nonsense from elsewhere.

No body tries to get my pov.the vairag as shown in this book is not the kind of vairag our Guru Sahibans have espoused.just study Sidh Gost properly and you know the difference

No idea why every body is so much advocating for Naths.if post of JP singh to be followed .even einstein has made contribution to society,should we learn sikh traditions &theology from him too?Why being singhs we should as much try to put our feet on 2 boats.My family & we are 2nd gen Sikhs ,if same things are being seen here to(following brahmins,naths n following to their whims) why you ppl are reverting to brahmanvad.there is ample treasure of knowledge in SGGS please try to find iut .we do not need nonsense from elsewhere.

Bhai Sahib Ji none of us are saying we shouldn't follow SGGS Ji we are only saying that there is thousands of years of history there on topics and rather than relearn and reinvent the wheel why not use the golden wheels of vidiya God gave us. This is not bhramanwhad but bharamvad. If you look closely allmost all these revered texts be it from bhagkti movement, Tamil, Marathi, buddhist they all reject bharamanwhad. Dhan Dhan Guru Sabans reject false worship not real worship. Sukhmani sahib says the religions that follow meditation of God are the best religions so how can we speak ill of these people?

jasvinderbhai Vera you are not wrong by what you said and I respect your view .. In ASA Ki Vaar kitani there is a line that says sidds are trapped in moh or something like that and how the.guru is great because he makes me/the reader jaap His naam. its defiantly not a black and white issue with both sides offering sommething but if they argue they lose something .. I wish I wrote that in Punjabi.. anyone here know all 22 vaars of.gurbani?

• The topic was unpinned