Celibacy And Energy?

WJK WJF

Hey guys, hopefully this is not too mature a topic, but I was reading about how preserving our 'seed' and practicing celibacy can retain energy more, and then we may be able to transfer that saved energy into all areas of our life and become better at all our endeavors. One website, a Taoist website, said to practice celibacy for at least 100 days and then through breathing techniques and imagination we are able to use that saved up energy in all aspects of our life. Other cultures/traditions seem to have similar ideas. Anyone know anything about this? How can we utilize this energy after periods of abstinence? It can certainly help in meditation if we're able to harness it and use it for more than just pleasure.

(Some may not believe this but I don't know, I think there may be something here. Think of how active the mind becomes when it thinks of Kaam. Now imagine that power can be used for other things.)

I personally seem to have a clean mind after I perform those deeds but hey everybody is different. I do know the Ancient Greeks I think were not allowed to have sex before meeting the queen because they become to demanding or something and also know football players don't have sex before a big game.

WJKK WJKF

No doubt, the sanyaasi tradition is deep rooted in the Khalsa Panth. Many Brahmgyanis have been celibate from the times of Guru Gobind Singh Ji right up to today. They choose to focus purely on the bhagti marg and dedicate their life to parchaar seva.

For those living in Grisht, as is true with anything else life, we must be in control of our 5 passions, and not the other way around. when the 5 chor control us, they convert the single source of energy we all have into bad enegry (bad actions and bad thoughts). The key is to not get obsesses/addicted to anything, but to utilise everything in moderation or to meet the objective - be it dietary intake, career commitment, academia or this aspect of grisht jeevan.

I have heard many Sants talk about converting kaam jor into naam jor. As has been eluded to already, these actions use a high amount of energy, which is the reason many athletes (esp Boxers) refrain from kaamic activity before competition.

Those serious about bhagti follow a similar pattern. This does not mean that they do not have physical relations with their spouse, it just means that their main objective is bhagti, and the physical relation is a lesser priority. Love and affection in marriage is not to be looked down upon, Guru Tegh bahadur advised Dasmesh Pita as such - to love your Wife more and more each day - but this means mentally, spiritually, emotionally as well as physically. To grow with her.

But our primary purpose of existence is to pooj and do simran of satnaam, which is why all other aspects of life must be controlled.

This same conversation is true for Sikhs who get obsessed with any other form of maya i.e. making money/career progression, sport, fashion/body type (gyming for the perfect body seems to be a trend today) etc etc. Obsession with anything will only lead to you having less energy/time/inclinationo for prema bhagti.

Again, not to negate other things, we must do well in all aspects of life, but not to the point at which they negate our bhagti.

The challenge and on-going struggle in life for a Khalsa (and anyone for that matter) is to find that perfect balance whereby they can be successful in the world, fullfill their roles as child/spouse/parent/friend and also make great strides in their sikhi endeavours and bhagti.

@khaalis, where did you get this from,

"No doubt, the sanyaasi tradition is deep rooted in the Khalsa Panth. Many Brahmgyanis have been celibate from the times of Guru Gobind Singh Ji right up to today. They choose to focus purely on the bhagti marg and dedicate their life to parchaar seva."

Please do enlighten us how sanyaasi tradition is deep rooted in the Khalsa Panth.

Sikhism advocates leading a household life and not live as a saanyaasi.

1. Become inspired - listen to kathha, read history, listen dhadi vaaran, listen to kirtan.

2. Learn - do paat, learn how to recite paat (produce satkaar for gurbani), learn the arthh (meaning) of paat, meditate on those meanings, introduce the knowledge from the paat into your lifestyle.

3. Adopt rehit - produce a strong foundation to ensure continuation of your efforts.

4. Do sangat - with jeevan vale Gursikh and Sants. Ensure you are only in the company of those that are progressing your spirituality.

5. Simran - immerse yourself in naam simran. Learn about the different techniques and different stages one goes through in this journey - this is the point when your kaamic energy will be converted to bhagti.

Apologies, I should have used the word Bihangam as per our tradition. Grisht is certainly the recommended lifestyle for Gursikhs, but In the Sant tradition, specifically going back to the early Seva Panthi, Nirmalai and Akalis, Bihangam has been the norm for a select few who have dedicated their life to panthic/jagath seva.