Christian Minister Becomes An Amritdhari Gursikh

well my mum and dad cannot read/write panjabi, this is coz my mum was 6 and dad was 9 wen they came from panjab 2 england.

At least they can speak and understand Punjabi, unlike the present coconut generation.

And they are not taught Punjabi by their lazy parents.

so much criticism - guys get a grip - -Dhan SGGS is in at least 18 different languages - the challenge to each one of us how many do we know even at a basic level -- i know 3 at the minute - challange is to know at least 18 or half of 18. Anyone up for it??

And the fact is if you have not been taught Punjabi, ask your parents why they did not teach it to you

and good on you that you have now learnt it.

No point bringing that up. As I said, many kids don't know punjbai, whatever the reason for their parents not teaching them (there are many reasons), they simply don't know. So it's a must that we do parchaar in English too, not just punjabi. Just so that you know, not saying you say this about my parents but I'll say it anyway, my parents arent coconuts. If it werent for my dad in particular, I would probably not be into sikhi as much as I am now.

No point bringing that up. As I said, many kids don't know punjbai, whatever the reason for their parents not teaching them (there are many reasons), they simply don't know. So it's a must that we do parchaar in English too, not just punjabi. Just so that you know, not saying you say this about my parents but I'll say it anyway, my parents arent coconuts. If it werent for my dad in particular, I would probably not be into sikhi as much as I am now.

That's great to hear. I wish other parents also learn from your father and teach their children about Sikhism and ma booli Punjabi.

Their are not many reasons for the parents not teaching Punjabi to their off spring.

The basic reasons are laziness and a deep rooted inferiority complex about their roots.

The Bible original language is Hebrew. Today there is probably less than 5% of Christians who can read Hebrew and then actually understand it. Speaking to Christains that can read Hebrew.......they have a real big problem with the english translations because the message throughout the Bible is lost. The Christians have split up into many groups because the english translations distorted the message. We the same thing happening today, with the english translation preachers. I hate to do this, but just look at the white Sikhs, specifically 3ho group. They don't know Gurmukhi (if a few do then still majority don't understand Gurbani) and they take the english translation has the correct meaning, then they come on sites like this and slander Gursikhs and laugh at Gurmat. I have one particular name in mind, but i won't say it because nothing is gained from stating the person's name.

No doubt english parchar should be done, but it is only a preschool stepping stone to motivate people, so they can start learning Gurmukhi and recognize who their Guru is.

We already have many splits in the Panth, we don't need another one because a few got lazy to learn Gurmukhi. Spend two minutes a day just trying to read Gurmukhi and/or punjabi. Count how many hours you spend hanging out with friends and infront of the tv. If knowing Guru Sahib is important to you then put in the effort to learn Gurmukhi. Go to Gursevak.com or Gurbaniupdesh.com to learn Gurmukhi.

i think a balance is needed. Rebel Singh is correct that english parchar should be introduced into Gurdwara's on the stage, even if it's only a 30min slot once a week on Sunday. Also i agree that all Gianni Singh's should have a good grasp of English too, this way they can do parchaar, outside of the Divaan where they could be approached by Gorae or western born punjabi youth...as there's alot of dukh out there and ppl do tend to turn to the Gurdwara but sadly they don't get any help...this is where a Granthi Singh should be able to help, in English if needed.

That said, i also agree with the other side of not losing Punjabi either. Firstly, there are words in Gurbani that just can't be translated into English, you can only try to get it close...thus the true message can easily be lost. And also Katha done in Punjabi is just too sikk...the passion - WOW!!!

The key here is balance...we do need English in the Gurdwara but at the same time punjabi must be maintained. The problem today is, there is no balance whatsoever...hence why our youth aren't being engaged. As another Singh said, we can't keep waiting for the committee to find the English parchaaraks...why? because there really ain't many at all...that's a fact! We're all waiting for someone else to do it...don't..be part of the solution (as said earlier)

The Bible original language is Hebrew. Today there is probably less than 5% of Christians who can read Hebrew and then actually understand it. Speaking to Christains that can read Hebrew.......they have a real big problem with the english translations because the message throughout the Bible is lost. The Christians have split up into many groups because the english translations distorted the message. We the same thing happening today, with the english translation preachers. I hate to do this, but just look at the white Sikhs, specifically 3ho group. They don't know Gurmukhi (if a few do then still majority don't understand Gurbani) and they take the english translation has the correct meaning, then they come on sites like this and slander Gursikhs and laugh at Gurmat. I have one particular name in mind, but i won't say it because nothing is gained from stating the person's name.

100% true, also jesu used 2 talk in a language called aramaic, which i believe is practically extinct, only brahmins were allowed 2 learn sanskrit (even today), and that language is practically finished too, along with latin.

btw paaji, u shud name and shame the person who slanders gurus words.

i agree with rebel singh. we need to use more english in our uk gurdwaras. this is to educate the ever increasing proportion of children from families where punjabi isnt spoken at home, and whos parents dont send them to punjabi school. sure once they have the link with sikhi, they themselves will start going to santhiya/punjabi lessons. our community needs to be more open minded and try every avenue possible to inspire people within our community towards sikhi. If you cant see that the current system is failing miserably then you are blind to what the vast majority of punjabi sikhs in the uk know about their religion, basically very little/nothing. one of my cousins 16yr old kids recently said how he knows nothing about sikhi. if u ever do seva at a gurdwara camp you will be shocked how little some kids know.

its true, that there are now frequently english talks in uk gurdwaras, however only those kids with a link to sikhi will attend them. To reach out to the masses we need regular weekly english parchaar in all uk gurdwaras on a sunday morning peak time. i bet if even just one gurdwara in the uk trialled this for one month they would see a positive result. Now before someone tells me to start doing it, ill be honest that my knowledge of sikhi is very basic still i wouldnt even know where to begin. although i am still considering doing this locally soon. we need katha vaaks to the level of sant singh maskeen ji/gyani thakur singh ji whom speak several languages including english.

i agree with rebel singh. we need to use more english in our uk gurdwaras. this is to educate the ever increasing proportion of children from families where punjabi isnt spoken at home, and whos parents dont send them to punjabi school. sure once they have the link with sikhi, they themselves will start going to santhiya/punjabi lessons. our community needs to be more open minded and try every avenue possible to inspire people within our community towards sikhi. If you cant see that the current system is failing miserably then you are blind to what the vast majority of punjabi sikhs in the uk know about their religion, basically very little/nothing. one of my cousins 16yr old kids recently said how he knows nothing about sikhi. if u ever do seva at a gurdwara camp you will be shocked how little some kids know.

its true, that there are now frequently english talks in uk gurdwaras, however only those kids with a link to sikhi will attend them. To reach out to the masses we need regular weekly english parchaar in all uk gurdwaras on a sunday morning peak time. i bet if even just one gurdwara in the uk trialled this for one month they would see a positive result. Now before someone tells me to start doing it, ill be honest that my knowledge of sikhi is very basic still i wouldnt even know where to begin. although i am still considering doing this locally soon. we need katha vaaks to the level of sant singh maskeen ji/gyani thakur singh ji whom speak several languages including english.

well paaji, on bbc asian network's nihal show, there was a discussion on there about a year ago or so and a singh from the west midlands gurdwara (i cant remember which 1, maybe coventry of leamington spa) said that naujawan have taken over a gurdwara which was on the verge of closure, as the attendance every week was - 5-10 ppl every week! Then this particular naujawan and other younger sikhs took over the gurdwara/committee, re-decorated it etc. i believe if im not mistaken, they transformed it more into a youth based gurdwara (english katha etc) and with panjabi school (i presume). Guess wat? the gurdwara's attendance after a year or so went to 500 ppl every week!!!! This is no lie, i almost fell off my chair, coz all this time im thinkin english is the way in terms of speeches/katha, and i reckon this gurdwara cud prove a lot of ppl wrong.

PS - If anyone know s which gurdwara this is, could they tell us? Ive stated before, that i went a celeb Sikh wedding which was held at coventry gurdwara, and the katha/stage speeches were all done in english, and everybody was paying attention to them, and not their mobiles/socks. Plus harjinder lalli did his excellent old skool style kirtan which is in english too, using classical instruments, not a british colonial harmonium in sight. It seems coventry is the centre of sikhi in uk now, as ppl like Kam Singh from sikh channel/sangat tv has a initiative set-up called "sikh youth project" which is wat we r crying out for.

thank u