Learning Taus, Can I Learn On My Own?

Singh559

I'm in school and wouldn't be able to physically meet a teacher unless it's over the summer back home in Central California (even then I don't think there would be a teacher in that area I could meet a teacher at all).I saw a course that teaches how to play and you can do it on your own with DVD instructions but I have no prior knowledge so I don't know whether it would be possible. Here's their website and a video of theirs:

http://www.kirtanedu....com/index.html

Would appreciate any guidance as I really would love to learn sometime in the future.

Singh Jeo,

The truth is you can learn from all these cds, dvds, online videos and books etc. it is definetly possible. However a teacher or mentor who has learnt it the hard way only provides you with professional advise and is able to point you in the right way while learning any type of keertan. So although it is definetly possible to learn from media such as the above it's best to seek a mentor. Maybe you can start learning now with the books etc but then in the future when you learn from a mentor it could be hard to change bad habits etc. However if you have no other option to l guess you should just learn this way.

Either way, I hope that if you really want to learn keertan that you are able to pursue this and achieve the very best.

Jagga

Best to learn from a real teacher as they will be able to give you the small pointers that make all the difference. Like Jagga said, if you get into bad habits it is hard to change them later on. Learning online is a bit of a gimmick and is not the proper way to learn. With a human teacher, learning face-to-face, you experience the music and get inspired from hearing your teacher play.

Also, when looking for a teacher look for a 'dilruba' teacher rather than a 'taus' teacher as there will be more of them. Taus is just a bigger version of the dilruba so if you can play one you can play the other. There must be dilruba players in California somewhere.

The Gurmat Sangeet Project is based in the USA: http://gurmatsangeetproject.com/index.htm would be worth contacting them. They have organised Gurmat Sangeet programs in Stockton Gurdwara Sahib, so you could contact them also. Also there is this website: http://www.gurmatsangeetdarbar.com/

There is the Ali Akbar Khan school of music in California, not sure how far this is from you: http://www.aacm.org/ Don't think they do dilruba classes, but they do vocal classes so if you want to do kirtan, it would be worth it. Also try posting on this forum: http://forums.chandrakantha.com/

Good Luck !

You should strike whilst the irons hot, don't let the moment pass. Enthusiasm doesn't come easy. Another halfway doable option is to learn via skype video etc. I know people who set the laptop up in the UK and learn from Sangeet Ustaads in India. Even if you do DVD courses, at least you will learn the basics ie how to hold and use a bow, where the sur are on the frets, how to move between frets, basic sargams etc. So you won't have to pay an Ustaad to take you through the bare basics for the 1st 3 months. Practice hard and you will be amazed what you can achieve. There are dilruba players all over the world now, when you get started they will start popping up all around you :-) so you will get plenty of tips and feedback. Then in your holidays go and spend a few weeks with a Master and you will already have a head start as well showin your teacher you are hard working and pro-active.

Best of luck. Don't forget, the real progress, opportunity and answers come from Sat-Guru. So do heartfelt ardaas at each and every step.

You should strike whilst the irons hot, don't let the moment pass. Enthusiasm doesn't come easy. Another halfway doable option is to learn via skype video etc. I know people who set the laptop up in the UK and learn from Sangeet Ustaads in India. Even if you do DVD courses, at least you will learn the basics ie how to hold and use a bow, where the sur are on the frets, how to move between frets, basic sargams etc. So you won't have to pay an Ustaad to take you through the bare basics for the 1st 3 months. Practice hard and you will be amazed what you can achieve. There are dilruba players all over the world now, when you get started they will start popping up all around you :-) so you will get plenty of tips and feedback. Then in your holidays go and spend a few weeks with a Master and you will already have a head start as well showin your teacher you are hard working and pro-active.

Best of luck. Don't forget, the real progress, opportunity and answers come from Sat-Guru. So do heartfelt ardaas at each and every step.

Thank you, will take your advice to heart.

Bold part is right on.

Where I should get a taus from? Would it be cheaper to buy from India? I think it costs 100-150 dollars to get it shipped. How much does it cost in India or in USA? I saw some on a few websites and ebay but it's very, very expensive.

Thanks

you can learn from books, but it is better to learn form a human. The best place at the mo to get any Sikh instrument is Raj Musicals, they are expensive but they are worth the money. Its really best to go there yourself, failing that, ask them to send it to you.

Singh 559, if you want to learn and cant find someone to teach you, then i an teach you the basics over Skype. When you get an instrument, and you need my help, then PM me,

you can learn from books, but it is better to learn form a human. The best place at the mo to get any Sikh instrument is Raj Musicals, they are expensive but they are worth the money. Its really best to go there yourself, failing that, ask them to send it to you.

Singh 559, if you want to learn and cant find someone to teach you, then i an teach you the basics over Skype. When you get an instrument, and you need my help, then PM me,

Thank you Singh! Before I buy an instrument I'd love to see which books to buy. Do you have any suggestions and know where I can buy them?

Would you happen to know the price of the taus from Punjab? I'm assuming it'd be much cheaper than buying from the UK/USA. The same dhol that I would have bought off a website (from same company) would have cost me 25,000 rupees (600 dollars) cost me 100 dollars from Punjab. I'm assuming stringed instruments are the same.

The taus costs about Rs 30,000 , do the conversion for dollars, and they will charge about 8000 rupees to send it to you. Its still a good price as the instruments are very good.

If you need help on getting one to the US, then email David : David@chandrakantha.com and he can assist you in getting one. He is a great guy who is always willing to help, and he is quite an expert on indian classical music and instruments. He uis based in the US.

There are quite a few books to learn from, when i went to india, i bought a 4 book set on Gurmat Raags,` called " Gurmat Sangeet Sagar" which is really good, but even in them there is stuff that you really need the guidance of a teacher to learn.

Anyway I want to thank you for even thinking about bringing kirtan in Sikhi back to it s original pristine beautiful form.