Sign in to follow this  
hgsingh

Can Sikhs Still Be Considered Martial

No and you don't need to be in the armed forces to be regarded as martial....just look at the pathans in FATA Pakistan....those tribes provide very little manpower to pakistani army....yet they are the most martial group in that region....according to them it is sunna to keep shastars ...to keep the 'steeds of war' always ready...they stay true to the jihadi concepts in their quran....

sikhs have enough martial literature, but the problem is we are distancing ourselves from them..banis from sri dasam granth and sri sarbloh granth helped motivate our ancestors to great heights...also the many martial rehitname and itihaasik granths which command sikhs to keep shastar bastar and to learn shastar vidya and yudh vidya..engage in hunting and practice jhatka maryada...we have enough to make us martial...

Sikhs are Sant Sipahi, not only in the physical sense but we fight kaam, krodh, lobh, moh, and ankaar.

Someone who is educated can also be a Sipahi. For example, a human rights advocate or someone who helps people in poverty stricken areas.

Our level of martialness has decreased a lot since the independence of India. But compared to everyone else in India, Sikhs can still be considered the most martial with out a doubt. When the shyt hits the fan, Sikhs can still get pretty militant and khatarnaak.

Yep, Guru Hargobind Sahib and Guru Gobind Singh Sahib promoted activities like shastar vidiya, fitness training, marksmanship, ghor sawar (horseback riding).

We have to be physically fit to be mentally fit. Both go hand in hand.

niddar singh lies about shastar vidya if it was banned then why did his teacher wait so long to find a student to teach

and not start a school in the 40's

shastar vidya is mix of hindu martial arts that niddar singh learned in india

I think there is a prophecy in an ancient secret text that a kaarkhana da karigaar bulberhumpton ton anvaiga tey shastar vidya nuun murh surjeet kareiga atey goray ohnu akheerla Sikh Yodha pehchaanangey.

niddar singh lies about shastar vidya if it was banned then why did his teacher wait so long to find a student to teach

and not start a school in the 40's

shastar vidya is mix of hindu martial arts that niddar singh learned in india

Please don't mention that guy's name and associate it with shastar vidiya. He used to call it jhatka gatka and changed it to shastar vidiya to try to legitimize his drunk martial art where he borrowed ideas from various asian arts.

Shastar vidiya has nothiing to do with niddar. He's just highjacking the name. Shastar vidiya means the knowledge of shastar....

• Like 1

if you see most sardars they don't look martial or in shape

sikhs need military culture back

A lazy stereotype that isn't as relevant these days as it was, say, 10 or 20 years ago.

All young Singhs I've seen are fit and skinny - a bit too skinny in my opinion but trim nonthelesss. If you're referring to Uncle Singhs and elders then... no comment!

I think a lot of us would admit that militarily and physically Sikhs aren't what they used to be. We've become 'tamed' to an extent. Sikhs may be more assertive than most other Indians, but then Indians usually set the bar quite low in this department. Today, people are more likely to perceive a Sikh neighbour as a friendly, harmless fellow rather than a fighter.

Truth is that most Sikhs today are more concerned with things other than fighting. Plus we haven't even got a strong culture of physical training anymore like say Californians have, though this is slowly changing.

Personally I think the warrior or martial thing stems from a particular psychology/worldview which then influences how a person lives, where they value their independence over all else and prepare, physically and mentally, for conflicts and this becomes a way of life. Pathaans are an excellent example of this. I think, push comes to shove, most apnay dream of status, wealth and comfort over all else these days. Make of it what you will.

Sikhs are just the same as any other community. The majority of our members are civilians (non-martial) and we have a proportion of our population who are involved in the military and may be considered 'martial' - this is no different to any other community.

Then you have non-military/police personnel who you may regard as 'martial' but are actually civilians. They could include practicing martial artists or pro fighters. Others could be people that work in front line security such as doormen, security guards and bodyguards. Others could be political and religious activists. Most of them are not necessarily trained fighters. In this group I would include Kharkus of the 80s. They would also include activists associated with certain jathebandian such as some followers of Taksal or followers of Baljeet Singh Daduwal for example. Also groups who campaign against beadbi such as the Respect for SGGS campaign. Then you have street gangs like Shere Punjab fighting against Muslims and stopping exploitation of Sikh girls etc.

After that, you are really scraping the barrel with the last group, who I would simply describe as thugs. Individuals who basically just like to brawl and are not scared of doing so. I would place sharabi punjabis that fight in bars and clubs in this category lol.

The above is my breakdown of what I regard to be martial in this day and age. Clearly, we as a community are not fighting for survival like we were 200 years ago against the Mughals etc. We have diversified our professions from being purely warriors to undertaking a variety of professions. Most people nowadays have no real reason or motivation to be martial unless they are in the military or categorised in one of the groups that I have mentioned above.

It is hardly surprising that Sikhs are not as martial as they used to be. Neither is any other community. They all have the same kind of cross-section that we do.

Pathans are living in a war zone and their pattern of existence is no different to how it has been for hundreds of years. Hence you have a greater level of firearm ownership amongst them. They live in a tribal environment so it is necessary for ordinary civilians to protect themselves as such. Thats not to say that they are any better at fighting than anyone else. Its just that things have not moved on for them. They are still trying to meet basic needs and survive on daily basis.

The difference with Sikhs is that 'martial' is strongly embedded in our faith and our teachings but not so much in other faiths. However, it is unrealistic to expect every Sikh to be a dangerous warrior when the stimulus to do so simply does not exist in the way that it did 200-300 years ago.

Sikhs are to be saint soldiers

So either they should be training in combat or military

What stops sikhs from being profesionals and joining the military

Sikhs got soft and get slapped around

Interesting theory above that seems to boil down to communities becoming 'martial' when circumstances compel them to be, which is a fair point and explains a lot.

It also strikes at the notion that some peoples are innately 'martial' and this manifests itself naturally where ever they may be.

If the above theory is right then we can expect our community to become more and more 'demartialised' as we integrate into more stable environments over generations, unless of course the sh1te hits the fan.

So in essence the martial element of our faith becomes a relic or symbolic in times of prolonged peace.

Oh well, at least we have a nice philosophy to explore in such times.

I guess the only true test of how 'martial' we still are would come if things around us fell apart and we found ourselves in dangerous anarchy.

That being said, I know a fair few of us probably probably feel that a short of emasculation of Sikh males taking place alongside with our increasing worldly successes.

The big question is whether a people can quickly push themselves back into 'militant' mode at relatively short notice after a long period of inactivity on this front, if the 'you know what' ever hit the fan quite suddenly?

We live in interesting times, and I don't think many communities development and progress has left so many traces from its earliest conception like ours has - we are like a living social experiment.

Even if we can't expect people to be dangerous warriors like a few centuries ago, letting them slip into outright goofy, nerd territory like so many brothers seem to do these days is pretty lame. and invites trouble from more virile communities. lol

Even if we can't expect people to be dangerous warriors like a few centuries ago, letting them slip into outright goofy, nerd territory like so many brothers seem to do these days is pretty lame. and invites trouble from more virile communities. lol

So when was the time you last displayed your virility, dalsingh? Please, this a family forum so nothing saucy.