Photo: Singhs Against British - Cannon Fire

wjkk wjkf,

First time I seen this pic, don't know its origins, nor its authenticity, but nevertheless very powerful image.

Does anyone know why the British chose this way to make Singhs Shaheed, cannon fire through the back?

One theory I have heard somewhere, is that the British acknowledged that Sikhs were not frightened by death, and hanging/shooting was not that strong of a deterrent.

But they thought Sikhs believed that whole body needs to be together during Sanskar for the aatma to reach the afterlife? and cannon fire scattered the body in many pieces, hence the soul couldn't reach the afterlife, this was believed to be a frightening prospect for Sikhs.

Anyone else heard this theory? if so how did they get this idea?

shaheedsinghsagainstcan.jpg

post-8719-0-19014600-1339415694_thumb.jp

I thought namdharis were supported and created by the British. The Singh in the picture looks like the a average Singh.

Perhaps it was a lack of knowledge on Sikh beliefs that led them to come to this conclusion. It doesn't matter how a person dies, once they die, they're dead. After a person dies their aatma leaves the body.

Lol, Namdharis, Nirmalai, Bhai Randhir Singh and many others have at some point all had a finger pointed at them from various parties for being British conspirators. Facts say otherwise.

Baba Ram Singh Namdhari and the early Kookai, were the most vehement outspoken opposition of British Rule, it's common historical knowledge. What happened to the movement after Baba Ji died is another story... (not relevant here).

The British removed Baba Ji from India altogether (sent to Rangoon jail) because they found his ideology and threat so dangerous toward their rule, and because he was bringing thousands ofwntrodden people of Punjab into the Khalsa fold once again.

Giani Gian Singh Ji, writer of his famous book Panth Parkash , was the eyewitness of the martyrdom of the Namdhari Sikhs at Malerkotla. He has described this in his opus as under:

Malerkotla2.jpg

Painting by Vassili Verestchagin showing the British execution of Namdharis by blowing them up with cannons in Malerkotla

(Image source: http://haryanawatch.blogspot.com/2010/03/14-july-2009-photo-source-httpsirsanews.html)

The account of those Sikhs (the Bandais) has been

set out in a number of books.

But, now, I would speak to you,

in truthful details of what I saw with my own eyes.

During Nineteen Twenty-eight Bikrami

I came into contact with the Kukas.

The butchers who had slaughtered cows were

themselves slain by

these lion-hearted men of the Guru.

Nearly sixty of them, pure souls, were arrested

and were brought to Malerkotla in custody.

The English (Government) issued orders

that they be blown off by cannon.

They were delighted to hear of this order

they were indeed overwhelmed with joy.

Their exuberance shot into their miens

They recited aloud the word of the Guru.

As moths rushing towards a lamp,

unrestrained they made for the cannon.

Their spirits in high transport,

they hurried forward without a thought

for their dear lives.

This I saw with my own eyes,

People had gathered in large number.

They saw and were filled with wonder.

Wedded to the Supreme life-style of the Sikhs,

They were not afraid of embracing death by arms.

They could meet the enemy on the battle-field

and be restrained from neither laying down

nor taking life .

-Panth Prakash, 1 st edition

It's apparently based on a painting by a Russian artist Vassili Verestchagin, who painted it in 1888. Believed to show the public execution of Kukas in 1872, for killing some Muslim butchers in Amritsar in 71.

The fact that they are all dressed in white supports the notion that they were Namdhariay.

source: http://www.vidhia.com/Rehat%20Maryada/Gurmat_Rehat_Maryada_-_Damdami_Taksal.pdf

“The following are all major sins:

Killing a Brahmgyani, killing a cow46, killing or selling your daughter,

And eating from a person who has no moral discipline.

Anyone who commits any of these sins has committed thousands of sins,

This egotistical individual will be reprimanded thousands of times."

(SGGSJ Ang 1413)

Killing a Cow is seen as a major sin in the Indian sub-continent and this is the reason for Maharaj using the example of killing a cow, but for Sikhs killing any animal is a major sin.

no doubt this was a great amzing act. but, why did they stop people killing cows? i mean would they have killed muslims if they ate chickens or pigs? well not pigs...

Lets be frank about it, prior to the Singh Sabha movement, a lot of Sikhs considered the cow as sacred - hell, I still meet some who do even now!