Top 5 Movie

hgsingh

@ WLS - Iranian cinema is absolutely class. Have you seen Persepolis? Although it's French-made the source material is a graphic novel written by an Iranian about the revolution.

I agree with the sentiment regarding Panjabi films in relation to Iranian cinema. If they used a bit of imagination instead of going for the same type of movies (so-called "comedy" or romance), and especially taking into account Panjabi history, there could be some brilliant films made (which highlight vital, contemporary issues to the world) about Sikhs and Panjab in general. But such endeavours require a deft touch and nuance --- sadly, two traits I don't think many Panjabis in such positions possess. Broad, obvious strokes win the day apparently. :biggrin2:

@ WLS - Iranian cinema is absolutely class. Have you seen Persepolis? Although it's French-made the source material is a graphic novel written by an Iranian about the revolution.

No, Persepolis is not what I have in mind at all when I refer to the beauty of Iranian cinema. To me, the beauty is the simplicity. Once you take away the computer graphics, right to use nudity, right to use bad language, right to use sex, right to use violence from a film-maker you force that film -maker to go out of his way to ensure there is an unbelievably beautiful story, unbelievably beautiful natural acting etc.

Actually, the Turkish movie Once Upon a Time in Anatolia is a perfect example of this. 90% of the movie is just a bunch of guys having mundane everyday conversations whilst travelling in a car. Thats what makes it so beautiful. Western film-makers, out of habit and a desire to cater to what they percieve as western needs, would be compelled to throw in some CGI, swearing and a sex scene. Before you know it the beauty's dead. Of course, thats not half as bad as Indian film-makers who would be compelled to, every now and then, get the men out of the car to do a disco dance around a tree. So no my friend, 'Persepolis' is the antithesis of every thing I love about Iranian cinema.

No, Persepolis is not what I have in mind at all when I refer to the beauty of Iranian cinema. To me, the beauty is the simplicity. Once you take away the computer graphics, right to use nudity, right to use bad language, right to use sex, right to use violence from a film-maker you force that film -maker to go out of his way to ensure there is an unbelievably beautiful story, unbelievably beautiful natural acting etc.

'Persepolis' is the antithesis of every thing I love about Iranian cinema.

You completely missed my point about the movie and the graphic novel on which it was based. Do you actually know what I'm talking about or are you off on another one of your WLS rants?

Persepolis is one of the most beautiful animated films ever created. Its simplicity in terms of its black and white aesthetic contributes to making it wonderful and original, in addition to the stirring source material on which the movie is based. There's nary a swear word, a nude body or anything of the like in sight.

Are you assuming anything based on a graphic novel is trashy, violent, etc? That's like assuming that every novel ever written is nothing but a rip off of Shakespeare.

The next thing you'll be telling me is that the movie Waltz with Bashir is a total waste of your time, because you have no interest in watching a film about the journalist who interviewed Princess Diana and Michael Jackson, and his epic struggle to become a ballroom dancer!

Expand your horizons, WLS. Don't jump to conclusions without doing some research thus making yourself look uninformed. Put some hustle behind that muscle.

You completely missed my point about the movie and the graphic novel on which it was based. Do you actually know what I'm talking about or are you off on another one of your WLS rants?

Persepolis is one of the most beautiful animated films ever created. Its simplicity is what makes it wonderful. There's nary a swear word, a nude body or anything of the like in sight.

Its you who have completely missed my point. However, unlike you, I am kind and civilised enough not to refer to your missed point as a "rant". When I tell you how the thing I love about Iranian cinema is its NON-USE OF THINGS SUCH AS COMPUTER GRAPHICS.......i.e its natural simplicity....its art imitating real-life, what in god's name possessed you into thinking an animated film would fall into that category ? :blink2:

Don't talk to me no more about Iranian cinema Kaljugi. If I wanna talk to you about movies I'll talk to you on the Nickleodeon forum for cartoons.