Learning Paarth

SikhSeeker

WJJK WJKF

I have a question about learning Parth. I am trying to learn Jaap Sahib and wanted to know if I can learn this in stages. For example 50 Pauris for x amount of weeks until i know them, and then add another 50 etc. Would it be Paap if i do not complete the all the Parth in the same day? Or can I do this until I am fully confident of reciting all the Parth?

Thanks

Speaking from recent experience I wanted to learn Sukhmani Sahib da Paath, but it took me 3 hours to do just the first half of it! :blush2:

So the first few weeks I had to split one Sukhmani Sahib da Paath over 2 days. Gradually I became accustomed to doing it, learning the correct pronounciations, etc., and finally managed to do one paath in 2 hours.

So for me this system worked but I wouldn't like to say whether this is allowed. I did wonder whether I was doing beadbi by not completing one paath in one sitting, but I had no other choice. If you do choose to take it easy (for a while) like I did, even if it is not allowed, then don't worry we'll both get jootiya together. :lol2:

If you do nitnem of 5 banis every morning (including jaap sahib). after some time depends on the person's budhi given by waheguru. it will be recited itself in the brain.

you can also try doing jaap sahib paath without pothi sahib, from where you forget then read from pothi sahib. this is a good method also.

also can do sankhep ardaas before then it will be

WJJK WJKF

I have a question about learning Parth. I am trying to learn Jaap Sahib and wanted to know if I can learn this in stages. For example 50 Pauris for x amount of weeks until i know them, and then add another 50 etc. Would it be Paap if i do not complete the all the Parth in the same day? Or can I do this until I am fully confident of reciting all the Parth?

Thanks

much better

good luck

WJJK WJKF

Thanks

Yea you can do it a little bit at a time until you are comfortable at doing the entire paath in one sitting. I learned the five banis from my nana ji whos a strict Amrit Shari and he would sit with me until I was reciting it properly and was able to do the entire paath on my own. When I started to do the sukhmani sahib it was really hard for me because of the wording. So what I did was I had the audio nitnem app and the sunder Gutka app on my iPod and I would read along as the baba ji was reciting the paath and some words that I couldn't pronounce I was able to. I usually did that at night when u was gonna go to sleep. Then jn the morning I would do as much as I could and then mark it where I left off and o that the next morning. And then slowly following this I was able to do the entire paath in one sitting. I don't think there is anything wrong in doing this. Guru ji would want you to do as much as you can and slowly work your way up so your not overwhelmed. I wish guru ji gives me enough memory and strength to memorize the paath withou the Gutka sahib one day.

I recall a katha by Giani Thakur Singh who said that Jaap Sahib is a very difficult bani to memorise and his opinion was that the best way to achieve this was to practice writing it as well as reading it. If I recall rightly he said words to the effect of 'you wont memorise this without writing' though I'm sure there are those blessed ones who do manage this.

I also read a comment by the legendary Professor Sahib Singh who also said that memorising this bani was very difficult because it uses repetition quite frequently and that if someone's attention wonders slightly during recital from memory they can easily find themselves making jumps backwards and forwards because of this.

A technique I'm using to try and memorise Japji Sahib is to try and solidly memorise a single pauri at a time, when you have solidly mastered one, then go to the next and do the same and keep doing this incrementally. It is very important to have properly internalised one section BEFORE you move on from it though! Make sure you repeat what you have memorised a few times a day. It also helps to have a sort of summarised understanding of the subject of each pauri/chaand and link these sequentially. Try doing this with the chaands of Jaap Sahib maybe? I find this helps me.

Great Punjabi / Santhiya resources ALL collected together:

http://www.1guk.com/gurbani/santhiya-resources