Whats The Point Of Keeping Your Hair Long?

Guest SikhQuestions

Guest SikhQuestions

As a Sikh can understand if this question angers you, and I do not want to cause any disrespect to anyone or their ideals. That being said however, as I have grown and developed my own understanding of Sikhism, and tried to embrace its principles, I can't find a good answer to this question. For the sake of complete clarity, the reason I am asking these questions is because I am thinking of cutting my hair, and would like to know if there is any reason to keep it.

If the reason is because "god" wants us to do so, well that seems very contradictory to Sikhism and its definition of god. I thought god was an indescribable being with no emotion and no love or hate. He wants all humans to be treated equally and fairly, and this is why we try to treat everyone as equals. Why then, would he care what we look like? How long our hair is?

If the reason is because Guru Gobind Ji wanted stand out, and it has become part of our identity, then this reason makes slightly more sense to me but I still have issues with it. Why should we be defined by what we look like? A Sikh is supposed to be a good, fair and kind person. This, I feel, should be a Sikh's identity, not what he or she wears on their heads.

These two are the only reasons I could think of for keeping my hair, but they dont make sense to me anymore. More than that I have reasons to not keep it long anymore. These reasons are not because of how I look (I think my beard and turban have a lot of swag actually), and not because of anything anyone has said to me (most people are accepting and awesome, the few who aren't should be ignored).

My reasons for not wanting to keep my hair are rooted in the fact that I see no reason to objectify my faith in what I believe in. I don't like gifts on birthdays, I don't ever feel the need to proclaim anything strong about my identity, as I believe people should learn who I am over time. Then why should this turban and beard be the only exception to this rule? To also be totally clear and truthful, yes, I think it would be cool to try on different hairstyles over time, the same way I try on different clothing styles.

Moreover, I believe I am a very logical person. I see no need to keep my hair long (based on what you've read above) and see one or two reasons to cut it. If you've made it this far into reading what I have to say, I really thank you and would love your opinion.

In short: Do you keep your hair long? What are your reasons? Did you cut yours? Why did you feel like you needed to cut it

Thanks a lot everyone, and hopefully we can keep this cordial and not infringe on each others beliefs.

Your reasoning is wrong you obviously havent looked to gurbani for an answer just some dodgy rational thinking on your own part.

In bani it mentions numerous times that within your hair you hold power/shakti.guru's grace, im not going to put the quotes up as i believe you should do your own research. Really half assed effort i mean even a search on this forum would lead to your answer

Stop whinging and start doing!

The basic of becoming a Brahmgian is to accept Waheguru's hukam. If we feel we have to change how we were created how can we accept Waheguru's hukam?

Other religions, such as christianity and islam, not only kill their hair they also do circumcision. The hair on the head is cut to fit into modern society's standard of what beauty is and they cut their foreskin for sexual pleasure. Same thing with shaving their genitalia, they do it for sexual pleasure. How can a saint indulge in kaam (lust) and meet waheguru? Doing so is no different than acting like an animal. Humans have a brain that allows us to not only experience higher level thinking, but also our aatma has a chance to merge back into Waheguru. What's the difference between a sex addict individual and a pig?

Another reason for kesh is that we renounce the world (renounce worldly attachment) and yet still are very much involved in the world. It's like a perfect balance of yin and yang.

Names are different but Truth is Universal. It doesn't matter which part of the Universe you're in or what era- truth will always be the same.

In short: Do you keep your hair long? What are your reasons? Did you cut yours? Why did you feel like you needed to cut it

Thanks a lot everyone, and hopefully we can keep this cordial and not infringe on each others beliefs.

Yes, I keep my hair with reasons stated above. I used to be a mona and i felt i needed to keep it to make the very basic step to become a Sikh - accept the Guru's teachings and blessings.

Not entirely related, but check this out (Native Americans and special forces in the Vietnam war story about their kesh and what happened after they cut it)

http://www.sott.net/...Their-Hair-Long

Hair has been a source for strength for many people around the world from the Samurai, to Christian saints, to Native Americans, to original Buddhists, Ancient China, people who Hindus worship (actual people - Krishna ect).

If the reason is because "god" wants us to do so, well that seems very contradictory to Sikhism and its definition of god. I thought god was an indescribable being with no emotion and no love or hate. He wants all humans to be treated equally and fairly, and this is why we try to treat everyone as equals. Why then, would he care what we look like? How long our hair is?

God/Allah/Waheguru doesn't want us to do anything other than find out our true selves. Before the creation of the Universe there was nothing, no truth and no falsehood. No light and no darkness. After Waheguru created the Universe everything was set into motion (some people call it the big bang). The Universe fashioned by Waheguru is such a thing that from atomic particles they spontaneously form elements and to cut a long story short eventually in the frame of infinity form life. It's such a delicate process that every part of our body has a specific purpose.

As time progresses and species evolve we eventually get to a point where we can begin to question our place in the world - what once prior to the big bang even the thought of thinking about truth and falsehood was impossible, we can now contemplate and focus on Waheguru. Guru Sahib says we need not visit any religious shrines, the most holy shrine is our body - the temple of Waheguru.

Sab Mein Jot, Jot Hai Soi. Tisde chanan, Sab Mein Chanan Hoi

It is the same light that pervades in all.

It is His Light which illuminates every being.

A part of finding who we truly are is shutting out maya and worldly influences that distract our minds from doing tap/meditation/simran and focusing on that One - Akaal Purakh Waheguru. How can we meditate in such a deep state when we are worried about what others will think of us and not even be able to accept the very basic form of hukam of Waheguru. Cutting our hair we knowingly (or even subconsciously) try to go against nature.

An English reporter asked Sant Jarnail Singh Khalsa Bhindranwale, "Why do Sikhs keep their hair". Sant Jarnail Singh Khalsa repllied with a smile, "Pehla ehnan nu pucho eh avde vall kiyoun kattal karde. Je tussi waheguru de paane vich raho sare Sikh banjande" transl: "First ask yourself why do you cut your hair? If you live in the will of Waheguru (God/Allah/Ram) then everyone would be like Sikhs.

Our hair doesn't separate ourselves from anyone, nor does it make us better than anyone. When Guru Sahib says "Nanak Naam Chardi Kala, Tere Paane Sarbat Da Pala" how can you even think that hair would make us or anyone unequal. Keeping the hair is merely acknowledging our acceptance to Waheguru's will.

If the reason is because Guru Gobind Ji wanted stand out, and it has become part of our identity, then this reason makes slightly more sense to me but I still have issues with it. Why should we be defined by what we look like? A Sikh is supposed to be a good, fair and kind person. This, I feel, should be a Sikh's identity, not what he or she wears on their heads.

This is a part of the reason, the spiritual side I mentioned above. The hair isn't really a thing about identity - the dastaar is. Of course a Sikh's identity is intertwined by their spirituality. A Khalsa's uniform is such if anyone needs help - regardless whether they're the lowest of the low or highest of the high - the person will feel safe and know a Khalsa (person who lives a Pure lifestyle) is there and will uphold righteousness and justice.

Sikhs are not only supposed to live a spiritual life, but also live a worldly life in perfect balance which is why we have Sri Akaal Takht Sahib and the uniform of a Khalsa is such that we stick out. Gurdas Mann's song comes to my mind - "Dunian de takhtan te vakhara Sikh disooga mera". My Sikh will be distinguished around the world's stage/seats. The Khalsa Panth is "Akaal Purakh Ki Fauj" - the army of the Timeless One and our uniform is the Panj Kakaar and Guru Sahib's gift - the beautiful bana.

Watch the first video and then listen to the entire katha by Sant Mani Singh Ji (video # 2 and 3)

====

From sikh perspective, we want to merge into god.

through meditation we try to become complete.

there are 3 main aspects to any conchous being, which influence ur spirituality (the fourth). then all these 4 combined, dictate your social / effect around you..

1. mental 2. emotional, 3. physical, 4.spiritual, and 5 social...

there are more further than numba 5.. but thas too nitty gritty.

fact is that if we are not 'puran' mentally, emotionally, AND physically, our spirituality will not fully grow to its maximum.. you will feel at peace, but not at one. (with god). going through each spiritual stage, we must fill up the previous stage to 100%. else, we wont get into the next stage..

another simple reason, is to do with naam. our guru tells us to jup naam with our rom. hair. all hair.. (which is y we not reely supposed to gel beard etc) when we say one waheguru, we say it once with our tongue. however, if we learn to do it with our kes / rom (same thing), then, we have the potential to say it 50 billion, billion times. thas how many hairs we hav on our body.. science source.! imagine, saying this in 1 skint. 1 moment. this is y ppl call this guruz 'more' (stamp). being given this gift form our guru.. thus, simply put, and a heavy down grade, hair is a >>tool. we hav ben given so many other tools for naam simran.. the palak of our heart. heart beat. to say naam sinran wityh our breath (different to jus saying naam with our mouths. the very air around us becomes naam. and fills us.. this is another tool. another tool, footsteps ; sur ; taal ; beat ; bol ; taan ; saaj ; all these are toools for naam. this is sowly how we vibrate with the frequency of naam.

but the start is to be complete is every way that we can.. which, (no getting away from), includes physical.

thas 1 reason...

another, being stable.. munmut. thinking that u dont want rom for xyz reason.. its a way to go towards ego, and therefore ultimately get stuck in haumai. as its a way to 'play up' the notion of the self.. we cant play this up, if at the same time we want to dissolve with god.. its left n right situ... positive n negative ions situ.. (situ = situation : / :) )

hair in its ultimate function, are spiritual antennaes. hence, unshorn.. its not a matter of long or not, its a matter of unshorn or not.. i no ppl who hav next to no beard at the age of 35! its a matter of unshorn or not ji..

i am so glad that u question it, and came up with the reasons u did.. apprearance to another / our 'mun' is not what we aim for. its appearance to ''self''. r u puran? or not?

so, the first 3 things, govern the 4th. once u have built the bridge >>>completely, then!... u can walk on it, to the other side.

as for swaag, thas y u keep sucham every day. i can also argue that not covering ur head givs ur hair wayyy more swag than covering.. thas y we cover / box things up etc etc the things we care about. . but, thas y u wash hair every day.... !!!! : / and change and rotate ur clothes. having clothes, and looking extravagent, is yet another ego trip meaning, the phrase 'look at me' or 'i like myself now' plays in your mind over and over again. (and no, im not saying, dont like urself.. im saying you liking urself becomes dependant on other things that are trivial such as house, car clothes hair styls etc etc.. - WE ARRRRE to look our best and presentable. and shine etc.. but if it serves our ego/mun, as in look at me stylies, then its defo not the way... just as the positive n negative ions situation etc.. becoming one, takes u 1 way. becoming another, takes u the other way. simples :D

if i havent covered anyhting, please do not hesitate.. i am looking fwd to ur reply..!

you need amrit. amrit initiation (also called deekhya) is what joins a person to the guru. the need for deekhya is written about numerous times in Bani. the entrance fee is your head. basically, that means that you leave your way of thinking behind and adopt the guru's way of thinking.

jau tu prem khelan ka chau, sir dhar taley, gali meri aau.

also, the hairs is where the kamai from bhagti is stored.