Punjab Is Drowning In Alcohol!

I agree. The government isn't force-feeding drugs and alcohol to anyone, they aren't forcibly cutting anyone's kesh, they aren't forcibly stopping anyone from going to Gurughars or to Keertan Samagams or to Amrit Sanchars. If they are attacking our psyche, its time to cement it and respond by doing what Gurmat and Gurbani asks us to do, not what sarkaar wants.

I agree. Whilst the government has its nefarious policies, they also aren't going around pouring alcohol down the throats of those who consume it. A large proportion of the blame lies with those who cannot stop drinking.

The government makes revenue from liquour sales via tax but it is not the source of the problem. In Punjabi culture alcohol is openly promoted and at almost every occasion it is distributed, it has become a core part of Punjabi culture mostly highlighted in Punjabi music. Oblivousy over long exposure people with tend to develope an addiction which will lead to abuse of alcohol. It has become socially acceptable to drink these days, people from Punjabi backgrounds tend to be the heaviest drinkers I know and this won't change overnight. In my eyes and from what I have experienced in my life, it has become more and more clear to me that there is a culture war going on between Punjabi culture vs. Sikh culture, with Punjabi becoming the dominant culture within Indian Punjab and around the world when compared with Sikh Culture.

Although both of these cultures have existed since I'd say the 1800s, the time of Ranjit Singh's Raj, and both used to be interwined and overlapped each other to seemingly be one culture, a major deviation occured around the 1960s and slowing over the last 50 years Punjabi culture and Sikh culture have become two seperate clear entities.

In Punjabi culture, as I have said above, alcohol is promoted, stored in people's houses and given as gifts, and in Sikh culture it is the exact opposite, it is a tradition not to keep alcohol in homes or give it as a gift to anyone.

There are lots of other points I can make to show a difference, like music, bhangra/gidha vs. martial arts, upbringing of children, treatment/equality of women, dresscode, social acceptance of things like soft drugs and tabacco, spoken language (alot of swearing in one not so much in the other), acceptance of corruption, dedication to faith and religion, common morals, having parties, style of weddings, acceptance of abortion (killing girls), Gurdwara with a party hall is something that has been invented by Punjabi culture, eating langar with tables and chairs, Khanda tattoos are becoming a craze in Punjabi culture a symbol stolen from Sikh culture and which is being misused. I need more to list everything that I have notice but these a some examples. Punjabi culture is easily influenced and changes alot, but Sikh culture tends to remain more traditional.

Just my opinion.

The government makes revenue from liquour sales via tax but it is not the source of the problem. In Punjabi culture alcohol is openly promoted and at almost every occasion it is distributed, it has become a core part of Punjabi culture mostly highlighted in Punjabi music. Oblivousy over long exposure people with tend to develope an addiction which will lead to abuse of alcohol. It has become socially acceptable to drink these days, people from Punjabi backgrounds tend to be the heaviest drinkers I know and this won't change overnight. In my eyes and from what I have experienced in my life, it has become more and more clear to me that there is a culture war going on between Punjabi culture vs. Sikh culture, with Punjabi becoming the dominant culture within Indian Punjab and around the world when compared with Sikh Culture.

Although both of these cultures have existed since I'd say the 1800s, the time of Ranjit Singh's Raj, and both used to be interwined and overlapped each other to seemingly be one culture, a major deviation occured around the 1960s and slowing over the last 50 years Punjabi culture and Sikh culture have become two seperate clear entities.

In Punjabi culture, as I have said above, alcohol is promoted, stored in people's houses and given as gifts, and in Sikh culture it is the exact opposite, it is a tradition not to keep alcohol in homes or give it as a gift to anyone.

There are lots of other points I can make to show a difference, like music, bhangra/gidha vs. martial arts, upbringing of children, treatment/equality of women, dresscode, social acceptance of things like soft drugs and tabacco, spoken language (alot of swearing in one not so much in the other), acceptance of corruption, dedication to faith and religion, common morals, having parties, style of weddings, acceptance of abortion (killing girls), Gurdwara with a party hall is something that has been invented by Punjabi culture, eating langar with tables and chairs, Khanda tattoos are becoming a craze in Punjabi culture a symbol stolen from Sikh culture and which is being misused. I need more to list everything that I have notice but these a some examples. Punjabi culture is easily influenced and changes alot, but Sikh culture tends to remain more traditional.

Just my opinion.

You have given your opinion but it absolutely does not make any sense whatsoever because you are confusing a so called rotten culture with the

GREATEST RELIGION IN THIS WORLD, SIKHISM.

When you understand the basic differences between the two, you will never ever put them together.

Just my opinion.

Some good points

You have given your opinion but it absolutely does not make any sense whatsoever because you are confusing a so called rotten culture with the

GREATEST RELIGION IN THIS WORLD, SIKHISM.

When you understand the basic differences between the two, you will never ever put them together.

I am not confused, I am talking about culture, cultural influence, cutural divide in the region of Indian Punjab and a clear existence of two seperate cultures in the Sikh diaspora. Gurdwaras based on caste or tribal names are found in Punjab, a clear mix of religion and culture and discrimination based on the shade of skin color and caste still exists in Punjabi culture. So I am talking about culture, even the word "Sikhism" is a western term for Sikhi, its pronounced wrong as well in a lot of cases, it sounds like "Seekism" or "I am a Seek". The word "Seek" is not found anywhere in Gurbani and the importance of pronunciation is very important in Sikhi, so this is basically insulting. The reason this exist is because of the British Raj, and the reason it continues to exist today is because Sikhs in the west feel uncomfortable with saying Sikh because is sounds like "sick" and therefore the correct pronunciation has been abandon. See how culture plays a role?

Long story short, in my eyes I see one religion, Sikhi, practiced in two cultures Punjabi (mixture of Sikh, Hindu, Atheism) vs. Sikh culture, with Punjabi culture being the outright larger culture and it is easily influenced and changes a lot.

Just my opinion.

I am not confused, I am talking about culture, cultural influence, cutural divide in the region of Indian Punjab and a clear existence of two seperate cultures in the Sikh diaspora. Gurdwaras based on caste or tribal names are found in Punjab, a clear mix of religion and culture and discrimination based on the shade of skin color and caste still exists in Punjabi culture. So I am talking about culture, even the word "Sikhism" is a western term for Sikhi, its pronounced wrong as well in a lot of cases, it sounds like "Seekism" or "I am a Seek". The word "Seek" is not found anywhere in Gurbani and the importance of pronunciation is very important in Sikhi, so this is basically insulting. The reason this exist is because of the British Raj, and the reason it continues to exist today is because Sikhs in the west feel uncomfortable with saying Sikh because is sounds like "sick" and therefore the correct pronunciation has been abandon. See how culture plays a role?

Long story short, in my eyes I see one religion, Sikhi, practiced in two cultures Punjabi (mixture of Sikh, Hindu, Atheism) vs. Sikh culture, with Punjabi culture being the outright larger culture and it is easily influenced and changes a lot.

Just my opinion.

Another non confused post going off in all tangents.

You can never compare a culture and a religion.

Then you start whining about castes.

And what completes the absurdity of your confused

state of mind is your saying," Sikhs in the west feel uncomfortable with saying Sikh because is sounds like "sick".

It would be best to keep your long short "Just my opinions" to yourself. lol. :biggrin2:

state of mind is your saying," Sikhs in the west feel uncomfortable with saying Sikh because is sounds like "sick".

It would be best to keep your long short "Just my opinions" to yourself. lol. :biggrin2:

lol.....singh135 gets it....back to the Sikh sounding like sick but pronounced like Seekh thing. Kids used to always make jokes about this when I was in high school, they'd be like "are you feeling sick (Sikh) today?" I'd be like “I feel Sikh every day”. Basically, all of the jokes are variation of the same joke but there’s a million of them. A lot of the other Punjab kids used to pronounce it like Seekh though so they wouldn't get made fun of. I am in Canada and mostly when Sikhs or Punjabis are speaking to an English speaking audience, they pronounce Sikh like Seekh but when they’re speaking to a Punjabi speaking audience then they pronounce Sikh properly. SOOOO, based on my experience this is why I wrote that.