Use of songs tunes by kirtanias

Chatanga is 100% correct those that differ have a lower spiritual disposition. Gurmat Keertan is a musical form of samadhi, it is a high form of spirituality. The musical instruments adopted and the method of using them along with hard practice, a spiritual life and the use of preset musical measures (Ragas) are some of the prerequisites of Keertan that should happen, particularly at a Gurdwara Sahib. Its upsetting when you go to the Gurdwara and you have to listen to 4 shabads in the same taal and in the same dhun and with the same two instruments. Gurbani has 84 different Ragas and over 10 different taals and Guru Sahib even adopted Dakahni Sangeet aswell as Shastriya Sangeet.

Look at the opening photo of the puratan Granth - the Mahan Kosh of a keetanee jatha you see so many instruments and a spiritual glow on their face.

Who would you rather listen to Bob Marley/ Michael Jackson or the spice girls. Today the keertan we are constantly being bombarded with is the quality of the spice girls and yet on this site people justify this a saying "oh keertan is keertan doesn't matter how you do it"

• 4 weeks later...

There are many Kirtani jathas coming from india very regularly to the uk. Whoever invites them should be encouraging them to uphold gurmat sangeet maryada and spread raag vidiya.

This is the duty of the sangat as well, that you should be asking gurdwaras to uphold this maryada as they uphold gurdwara maryada. Or even approach the jatha themselves and do benti for them to do kirtan in raag.

Once the sangat get tough and stop giving money to the jathas that dont uphold the maryada, they will soon change.

The problem is that we make it too easy for kirtanis to do anything they want.

bro I dont really think we should blame the kirtani jathe but more the sangat who becomes addicted to these filmy tunes. Think about, if your a raagi in this day and age, you will, unfortunately, want to sing the way which attracts the sangat. What I have noticed is that when the top "filmy tune" raagis sing raag now and then, it sounds great.

What do we define as a filmy tune btw? Any tune that is non-raag?

P.S. Are you worried like me about how there has been growth in the number of raagis in the UK who are below standard when it comes to singing in tune or knowing more than two taals on the tabla. Really pi**es me off when I listen to Asa Di Vaar at local Gurdwara and the ragi is micky mouse.

P.S. Are you worried like me about how there has been growth in the number of raagis in the UK who are below standard when it comes to singing in tune or knowing more than two taals on the tabla. Really pi**es me off when I listen to Asa Di Vaar at local Gurdwara and the ragi is micky mouse.

yes i am worried but we are setting really low levels when it comes to gurmat sangeet maryada, but woe betide any gurdwara that doesnt uphold the gurdwara maryada.

raagis used to spend years learning raag vidya and kirtan, now you can do 4 classes on a baja and go on stage. Its become to easy because we have set the bar so low, that we are seeing a disappearance of the vidya, and Guru Ji's instrumnents.

Im sorry but you're wrong, i go to the Gurdwara hoping to be spiritually uplifted by the kirtanis of Guru Nanak's house, but when I hear disco and film tunes being used to deliver the message of Guru Nanak Dev Ji...

Brother, you have said Raag is important, how important is it to you? How important was it to Guru Arjan Patshah? Or !0th Guru?

LOL'in at 'disco and film tuned'

The number of times ive heard kirtan and straight away my manns thinkin damn which bollywud films this frm