Shaheed Satwant Singh

Hi everyone,

I was wondering why every image that's available online of Shaheed Satwant Singh (one of the two assassins of Indira Gandhi) is a painting.

Why are there no actual photographs of him?

Do any of you actually have a photograph of him?

It just seems rather bizarre to me that we have photographs of all of the 80s era shaheeds (including the other assassin of Indira Gandhi, Shaheed Beant Singh), but I can't find a photograph of Satwant Singh.

From all of the paintings of him, he seems to have either no beard or a very short beard. I've read in some places that he was a beard trimmer. I'm wondering if perhaps that's why nobody has chosen to release any photographs of him?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering why every image that's available online of Shaheed Satwant Singh (one of the two assassins of Indira Gandhi) is a painting.

Why are there no actual photographs of him?

Do any of you actually have a photograph of him?

It just seems rather bizarre to me that we have photographs of all of the 80s era shaheeds (including the other assassin of Indira Gandhi, Shaheed Beant Singh), but I can't find a photograph of Satwant Singh.

From all of the paintings of him, he seems to have either no beard or a very short beard. I've read in some places that he was a beard trimmer. I'm wondering if perhaps that's why nobody has chosen to release any photographs of him?

I am not sure if Shaheed Satwant Singh was an Amritdhari but he was surely a Keshdhari... on Diwali 1984, Satwant Singh and Beant Singh went to Amritsar on Diwali to do Darshaan at Harminder Sahib. After seeing the damage done at Harminder Sahib, standing in front of Akaal Takht Sahib, both Satwant Singh and Beant Singh did ardas. Before reaching home, Satwant Singh cut off his kesh and went to his house in Punjab. He explains to his father that cutting Kesh was a necessity. Then 5 days before killing Indra Gandhi, Satwant Singh took Amrit at a gurdwara in Delhi. I believe in regards to the paintings and the small beard is that the paintings were made after he cut his kesh and it is a possibility that Satwant Singh never took a pic. Bhai Ranjit Singh Dhardianwale talks in detail about Satwant Singh and his wife Surinder Kaur.

I am not sure if Shaheed Satwant Singh was an Amritdhari but he was surely a Keshdhari... on Diwali 1984, Satwant Singh and Beant Singh went to Amritsar on Diwali to do Darshaan at Harminder Sahib. After seeing the damage done at Harminder Sahib, standing in front of Akaal Takht Sahib, both Satwant Singh and Beant Singh did ardas. Before reaching home, Satwant Singh cut off his kesh and went to his house in Punjab. He explains to his father that cutting Kesh was a necessity. Then 5 days before killing Indra Gandhi, Satwant Singh took Amrit at a gurdwara in Delhi. I believe in regards to the paintings and the small beard is that the paintings were made after he cut his kesh and it is a possibility that Satwant Singh never took a pic. Bhai Ranjit Singh Dhardianwale talks in detail about Satwant Singh and his wife Surinder Kaur.

Thanks for the info, but I don't quite understand: why was cutting his kesh a necessity?

Shaheed Bhai Satwant Singh's kes was cut until 5 days before the assassination of Indira.

Both Bhai Satwant Singh and Bhai Beant Singh took Amrit in Delhi on 25th October 1984 5 days prior to assassniation

As per Baba Tarlok Singh (Shaheed Bhai Satwant Singh's father), Satwant Singh had become a patit to excel his career in order to move closer within Indira's personal security.

Would strongly suggest listening to Baba Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwales katha above as it's the most comprehensive account of Bhai Satwant Singh's jeevan I have ever heard.

post-1686-0-01382500-1340710823.jpg

Thanks for the info, but I don't quite understand: why was cutting his kesh a necessity?

As @Pyara already mentioned, "As per Baba Tarlok Singh (Shaheed Bhai Satwant Singh's father), Satwant Singh had become a patit to excel his career in order to move closer within Indira's personal security." I agree Bhai Ranjit Sngh Dhadrianwale's katha for 2.5 hours may be long to watch.. .but I would strongly recommend you watch it. It is highly informative and well worth the time.