Garlic In The Gurdwara.

Garlic has aphrodisiac properties. That may be one reason why it was excluded from holy places.

Garlic has aphrodisiac properties. That may be one reason why it was excluded from holy places.

It stands to reason that natural foods like Garlic would have such an effect. But on that basis a lot of foods would be banned from the Gurdwara.

Mokham Singh is right..!!!

Actually i have seen the opposite...most of gurdwara abroad don't have ban rajoguni foods, ...amount of spices - garam masala and restaurant type food in langar is mind blowing no wonder people in maharaj's darbar cannot concentrate either they are itching or try to burp due to gas or their mind is chanchal(is going different directions) not to mention - stinky bathrooms..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest dasguruka

Guruji blessed me with seva at a gurudwara and I learned from the langri (cook) that back in the war days garlic use to get all the singhs fired up and you literally start sweating if you chew it. So Hindus learned this and associated it with a bad name. And slowly it was taken out.

Saints usually avoid any kind of taddka in their diet. Its known from Gyani Thakur Singh jee's katha that Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale used to have daal with just haldee and salt. Having said that, the basic point is to NOT be a slave to the tongue's tastes, and at the same time, a Sikh isn't fanatical about avoiding onions/garlic just because some Hindu school of thought considers it unclean. You guys will be surprised, one of my buzurg relatives (non-Sikh) I met in India last month had a bad impression about their local Gurdwara because they add garlic to the food. I said Sikhi has no such prohibition on garlic. He said even Hindus don't have a prohibition per say, but what he said next was shocking. "Lassan Musalmaan aa", probably referring to the fact that garlic excites one's lower energies (i.e. enhances your sexual appetite) and the Mughals were well known for their lustful crimes against non-Muslim bibiyaan back in their days. Anyways, what I found hilarious was labeling food items in a communal fashion. Whats next? Aloo Hindu aa? Tamatar Jain aa? Chholley Sikh aa? How wonderful if we all could co-exist in the sabji mandi of this world!

Nothing against Sikhi to use Garlic. In fact, Garlic just makes the langar taste better and it's good for the body. Why should we stop using Garlic or Onion? as long as meat is not used no need to create a fuss over Garlic. Naam Simran has enough shakti to counter the effects of any rajoguni or tamoguni good if that's what garlic is. We just need to have faith in Naam and follow Guru Jee's hukams.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• yeh it's true, we shouldn't be lazy and need to learn jhatka shikaar. It doesn't help some of grew up in surrounding areas like Slough and Southall where everyone thought it was super bad for amrit dharis to eat meat, and they were following Sant babas and jathas, and instead the Singhs should have been normalising jhatka just like the recent world war soldiers did. We are trying to rectifiy this and khalsa should learn jhatka.  But I am just writing about bhog for those that are still learning rehit. As I explained, there are all these negative influences in the panth that talk against rehit, but this shouldn't deter us from taking khanda pahul, no matter what level of rehit we are!
    • How is it going to help? The link is of a Sikh hunter. Fine, but what good does that do the lazy Sikh who ate khulla maas in a restaurant? By the way, for the OP, yes, it's against rehit to eat khulla maas.
    • Yeah, Sikhs should do bhog of food they eat. But the point of bhog is to only do bhog of food which is fit to be presented to Maharaj. It's not maryada to do bhog of khulla maas and pretend it's OK to eat. It's not. Come on, bro, you should know better than to bring this Sakhi into it. Is this Sikh in the restaurant accompanied by Guru Gobind Singh ji? Is he fighting a dharam yudh? Or is he merely filling his belly with the nearest restaurant?  Please don't make a mockery of our puratan Singhs' sacrifices by comparing them to lazy Sikhs who eat khulla maas.
    • Seriously?? The Dhadi is trying to be cute. For those who didn't get it, he said: "Some say Maharaj killed bakras (goats). Some say he cut the heads of the Panj Piyaras. The truth is that they weren't goats. It was she-goats (ਬਕਰੀਆਂ). He jhatka'd she-goats. Not he-goats." Wow. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in relation to Sikhi.
    • Instead of a 9 inch or larger kirpan, take a smaller kirpan and put it (without gatra) inside your smaller turban and tie the turban tightly. This keeps a kirpan on your person without interfering with the massage or alarming the masseuse. I'm not talking about a trinket but rather an actual small kirpan that fits in a sheath (you'll have to search to find one). As for ahem, "problems", you could get a male masseuse. I don't know where you are, but in most places there are professional masseuses who actually know what they are doing and can really relieve your muscle pains.

Important Information

Terms of Use