Provisioning In Anand Karaj Maryada ?

N30S1NGH

The committees that allow these kinds marriages are at fault.

they are usually worried that the Gurdwara down the road or in the next town will be more accomadating and therefore have "all the money" from the wedding. I have heard this from even Pardhans, when we tried to encourage Sri Akal Takht sandesh on tbales/chairs in langar hall.

"you lot are going to shut the gurdawara down..." was one of the things they said.

well not all monay/new age sikhs r total coconuts guys, some of us monay do value anand karaj and have gone through the effort 2 understand the significance of it. But that being said guys, a lot of ppl/majority ppl nowadays keshdhari/monay r a mugs, simple! The anand karaj has jus become a ritual, almost something ur doing coz ur parents told u so, type of scenario. One thing is that all anand karaj ceremonies must be done in english (not the actual prayers/laavan), but the speeches and the pre-wedding talk and their shud b translations/leaflets available on the big screen.

btw can someone tell me wat happened in swindon and hull yesterday? i kno that the swindon shambles was involving a nigerian, and i hear that it was succesfully stopped.

cheers.

Anand Karaj can be compared to Amrit Sanchar, in the sense that both these ceremonies have their own unique protocols and require COMMITMENT, which will exclude people who do not meet the criteria.

To preserve the sanctity of Anand Karaj, and stop this becoming a ritual show piece, it is the Gurdwara's and Panj Pyaareh responsibility that the couple meet the requirements.

According to CURRENT Rehtnameh and Akal Thakt requirments

1. Both Parties should not posses any other faith other than Sikhi.

2. They must show their commitment to the PURSUIT OF SIKHI by declaring their name singh/kaur in official documents.

Original Rehtnameh require both parties to be keshdhari- this has now been watered down.

The solution clearly requires a pre-screening process. Couples need to be prepared and made aware of what is required, exactly same as Amrit Sanchar, where individuals are prepared and nurtured.

Procedure that was initiated by Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Luton 2008.

If couple want to marry via Anand Karaj, they must both come in around the same time as the initial booking, for one-to-one Sikhi sessions with an appointed "Anand Karaj Advisor" - REGARDLESS OF YOUR CASTE, CREED, COLOUR, MONA OR KESHDHARI.

In these bite Size Sessions the basics concepts of Sikhi are explained, the Anand Karaj translations are taught.

Anand Karaj required the groom and bride not to have any intoxicants in the body (stag night, the night before are very common)

Languar must be eaten at the Gurdwara before sangat leave. (sangat normally undermine the languar for the afterparty)

At the end of the sessions a declaration is required by bride and groom.

This is counter signed by the "Anand Karaj Advisor" who then allows the marriage to be booked.

Guru Nanak Gurdwara Luton

Sri Anand Karaj Ceremony booking

• I …………………..(name) have chosen to be wedded at Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Luton via the scared Anand Karaj ceremony because I declare myself a Sikh.

• I have completed the pre wedding Sikhi Sessions

• My utmost faith is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I follow no other Religion nor worship any other beings.
  • I am familiar with the translations and protocol of the Anand Karaj

I will endeavour to preserve the sanctity of the Anand Karaj, as per guidelines explained to me.
  • I understand the importance of taking Amrit and becoming a Khalsa.

• If I have children in the future I will raise them as Sikhs.

• My commitment to the Pursuit of Sikhi is verified by my passport and driving licence with Singh or Kaur – as required by Akal Tatkt Rehtmaryda.

Signed……………………………. Name……………………….. Date

Verified: by Gurdwara Anand Karaj booking secretary

Signed…………………………….. Name……………………….Date…………

The main benefit of this is that the couple actually LEARN and have parchar one-to-one which most of them never had, at a critical time in their life when they starting married life.

Anand Karaj should not be given out cheaply, as with Amrit Sanchar there should be preparation and nurturing.

but this only works if you have commitment from sewdars.

If you just want £1500 booking fee, no questions asked which most Gurdwaras want, then expect more beadbi, heart-ache and Swindon scenarios

These sham Anand Karaj's give a message to all youngsters in the congregation that it is OK for them to find potential non-Sikh partners in the future. –

Leading to the erosion of Sikh ethics and decline of future Sikhs.

To the Naujawan..

Either Stand up and protect the Rehtmaryada in your local Gurdwara.. or expect these type of wedding cards to be the norm when your children are grown up.

post-8719-0-40711000-1341185687_thumb.jp

Paaji that card is shockin 2 the core, especially wen u c it in its dirty glory, oh dear. Btw where was that wedding, I'm sure it couldn't have been in my local sarabha mate, altho nothing shocks me. Wat were the parents thinkin of allowin it, not 2 mention the gurdwara

Procedure that was initiated by Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Luton 2008.

If couple want to marry via Anand Karaj, they must both come in around the same time as the initial booking, for one-to-one Sikhi sessions with an appointed "Anand Karaj Advisor" - REGARDLESS OF YOUR CASTE, CREED, COLOUR, MONA OR KESHDHARI.

In these bite Size Sessions the basics concepts of Sikhi are explained, the Anand Karaj translations are taught.

Anand Karaj required the groom and bride not to have any intoxicants in the body (stag night, the night before are very common)

Languar must be eaten at the Gurdwara before sangat leave. (sangat normally undermine the languar for the afterparty)

At the end of the sessions a declaration is required by bride and groom.

This is counter signed by the "Anand Karaj Advisor" who then allows the marriage to be booked.

Guru Nanak Gurdwara Luton

Sri Anand Karaj Ceremony booking

• I …………………..(name) have chosen to be wedded at Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Luton via the scared Anand Karaj ceremony because I declare myself a Sikh.

• I have completed the pre wedding Sikhi Sessions

• My utmost faith is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I follow no other Religion nor worship any other beings.
  • I am familiar with the translations and protocol of the Anand Karaj

I will endeavour to preserve the sanctity of the Anand Karaj, as per guidelines explained to me.
  • I understand the importance of taking Amrit and becoming a Khalsa.

• If I have children in the future I will raise them as Sikhs.

• My commitment to the Pursuit of Sikhi is verified by my passport and driving licence with Singh or Kaur – as required by Akal Tatkt Rehtmaryda.

Signed……………………………. Name……………………….. Date

Verified: by Gurdwara Anand Karaj booking secretary

Signed…………………………….. Name……………………….Date…………

The above is a good starting point and I can't see why this can't be implemented in all UK Gurdwaras. Put pressure on your committee to implement a robust Anand Karaj protocol in place which promotes the satkaar of the Gurmat Karaj and brings back the sanctity of marriage. Who knows, this may even help to reduce the increasing divorce rate in the young Sikh community.

Pre-Marriage and Post-Marriage consultations should be carried out by the Gurdwara. It should be a key part of the whole Anand Karaj booking process. Also, stronger articulate Granthis/Kirtanyia or Stage Secretaries are needed to provide more meaningful dialogue during the Anand Karaj. This is often wasted opportunity carried out by a bumbling stage secretary or uninspired Granthi/Kirtaniya who has no drive to promote Sikhi...

Great post SarabhaPanjab and pyara veer. I only wish we can implement above procedure on all the gurdwaras. But the sad fact remains committe members care about money rather than upholdin the maryada. It's purely business, even if one gurdwara decides to uphold the maryada and put this procedure in place, people will simply take their "business" somewhere else because other gurdwara's will cater punjabis anand karaj without any conditions or procedure.

As you rightly said, this is where youths come in.

There are couple of ways to get rid of this gurdwara committe greed (similiar to captalism- corporate greed)

-We need to do this in stages or batches. We need to strategically lobby and pursue this procedure to main big gurdwaras first and any other small gurdwaras near by where there is big population.

- If mainstream gurdwara's commitee members like this procedure and puts maryada first than everything else, we need to pursue to make anand karaj free of charge for the sake of upholding the maryada so it appeals even more to wider sangat, its wedding time most couples will try save penny and dollar to leviate fiancial burden.

- We need collectively as youth group (sikh youth committe) need to make a trip to India or have meeting with sri akaal takth jathedar to have this procedure in place and issue a edict.

I think other catholic churches have their own set of baggage of problems as well. We need to study vatican model and their relationship with churches and take good from it.

We desparately need to pursue our jathedar to have "Sikh Channel/Media' to provide panthic updates and issuing edicts from time to time to every gurdwara to ensure maryada is followed and create sgpc body abroad to name and shame them who does not follow them. If these gurdwarass abroad put their "business" in front of maryada then lets hit them where it hurts, bring awareness in sangat via sikh channel/media from sri akaal takth sahib so either it boycotts (gurdwara loosing business) or puts pressure on these guys.

Great post SarabhaPanjab and pyara veer. I only wish we can implement above procedure on all the gurdwaras. But the sad fact remains committe members care about money rather than upholdin the maryada. It's purely business, even if one gurdwara decides to uphold the maryada and put this procedure in place, people will simply take their "business" somewhere else because other gurdwara's will cater punjabis anand karaj without any conditions or procedure.

As you rightly said, this is where youths come in.

There are couple of ways to get rid of this gurdwara committe greed (similiar to captalism- corporate greed)

-We need to do this in stages or batches. We need to strategically lobby and pursue this procedure to main big gurdwaras first and any other small gurdwaras near by where there is big population.

- If mainstream gurdwara's commitee members like this procedure and puts maryada first than everything else, we need to pursue to make anand karaj free of charge for the sake of upholding the maryada so it appeals even more to wider sangat, its wedding time most couples will try save penny and dollar to leviate fiancial burden.

- We need collectively as youth group (sikh youth committe) need to make a trip to India or have meeting with sri akaal takth jathedar to have this procedure in place and issue a edict.

I think other catholic churches have their own set of baggage of problems as well. We need to study vatican model and their relationship with churches and take good from it.

We desparately need to pursue our jathedar to have "Sikh Channel/Media' to provide panthic updates and issuing edicts from time to time to every gurdwara to ensure maryada is followed and create sgpc body abroad to name and shame them who does not follow them. If these gurdwarass abroad put their "business" in front of maryada then lets hit them where it hurts, bring awareness in sangat via sikh channel/media from sri akaal takth sahib so either it boycotts (gurdwara loosing business) or puts pressure on these guys.

i reckon once the youth have taken over the gurdwaras in the next 10 yrs or so and the white beard brigades r out, then u will c proper maryada implemented without selfish gains. English will be the primary language used, and rules wont be broken at will, especially for the sake of money! You will c white/black/muslim etc converts in our gurdwaras too, as there will be modern sikhs who will give out necessary info to them, as currently we have non-sikhs coming to gurdwaras where only gianis r there, who cant even speak english to them. Interestingly last night there was a youth show on sikh channel, where the fantastic sevadaar singh from the youtube page "BasicsOfSikhi" was on, and he explained how he has seen a rise in non-sikhs interested in sikhi, but not quite knowing how 2 take it 2 the next level, as we havnt armed ourselves with necessary stuff. But with ppl like him, we will have those things.

N30S1INGH i agree with everything u wrote mate

Interestingly last night there was a youth show on sikh channel, where the fantastic sevadaar singh from the youtube page "BasicsOfSikhi" was on, and he explained how he has seen a rise in non-sikhs interested in sikhi, but not quite knowing how 2 take it 2 the next level, as we havnt armed ourselves with necessary stuff. But with ppl like him, we will have those things.

I saw a bit of that show too and it was really relevant to what we are discussing in this thread.

Truth is, panthic minded forward thinking Sikhs need to start making the in-roads into the Committees asap. 10 years to wait is still a long time and the damage in another 10 years could be irreversible. The Gurdwara infrastructure exists and there needs to be a succession plan in place. I'm not saying that there needs to be a coup or kabza but there needs to be a fast track programme to let the relevant Gursikhs into the committees. There then needs to be a standardised national forum for the committees to meet every 3 month to discuss all issues around Gurmat and Maryada. NOT a "Sikh Council UK" type forum which has little appetite for tackling issues around Gurmat or Maryada.

There should be training programmes, workshops, helplines, mentoring for these committee members to bring a uniformed panthic thinking into the Gurdwaras with the aim of over-coming all the current complacency which leads to beadbi and stalls progression of the dharam.